ADVERTISEMENT

1 or more over scholarship limit still

Boiler Addict

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2020
Grades are out and there was no immediate announcement of anyone entering the portal, since Jordan Rucker, only an announcement of highest team GPA.

I hate to see guys go, unless they are a major distraction/problem, and my feelings are like Matt Painter and the importance of getting your degree and utilizing the Purdue network.

However, unfortunately there has to be more to leave. While I could pick out individual players, I know I wouldn’t want fan message boards of my college posting things about me to leave.

I’m going to stick to position groups, I think we will see some more turnover from WR, OL and/or DE positions. Anyone hear anything?

Last edited:
Normally you’d see somebody leave after Spring practice because they saw the future and their name was not in it. The o and d lines usually have somebody who didn’t bulk up and has fallen out of favor.

I’m going to put my crazy hat on and say because of the arrival of the QB from UCLA, We May see one of our younger QBs looking elsewhere for a chance to play. The addition of that QB transfer has created a lot of depth at one position. And we have a history of QBs transferring. If I was a 4 star Qb, I’m not sure I’d want to stick around just to be 5th on the depth chart for the next two years with the knowledge we will sign a new 4 star QB in the next class. The lack of a spring game hurt the chances for one of our young QBs to show their stuff. From a depth standpoint how many QBs does Purdue or other schools usually carry?

Reactions: Purdue85
Normally you’d see somebody leave after Spring practice because they saw the future and their name was not in it. The o and d lines usually have somebody who didn’t bulk up and has fallen out of favor.

I’m going to put my crazy hat on and say because of the arrival of the QB from UCLA, We May see one of our younger QBs looking elsewhere for a chance to play. The addition of that QB transfer has created a lot of depth at one position. And we have a history of QBs transferring. If I was a 4 star Qb, I’m not sure I’d want to stick around just to be 5th on the depth chart for the next two years with the knowledge we will sign a new 4 star QB in the next class. The lack of a spring game hurt the chances for one of our young QBs to show their stuff. From a depth standpoint how many QBs does Purdue or other schools usually carry?

overall, I would agree with that.

What makes this year different (and you did write "normally") is that those players haven't had the chance to be on the field together, comparing their skills, getting coaching feedback, etc.

In short, it could happen but I doubt we'll see any movement like that before the start of the season. Keep in mind, we had a walk on QB playing down the stretch. If I was that stud recruit, there's no way I leave right now, given those circumstances. The field is wide open!

The only young 4 star QB we have ...hasn’t even arrived yet....are you saying he should already be transferring out?

The only young 4 star QB we have ...hasn’t even arrived yet....are you saying he should already be transferring out?

The younger QB he is referencing is probably not aimed at anyone specifically. My guess personally is on Piferi, lots of noise last year about his throwing motion changing.

The younger QB he is referencing is probably not aimed at anyone specifically. My guess personally is on Piferi, lots of noise last year about his throwing motion changing.
He teeters on specifics and generalities, which, is par for the course.

He teeters on specifics and generalities, which, is par for the course.

You want specifics ??? I'll give you some.

QBs currently on the roster :

Plummer
O'Connell
Piferi
Alaimo
Burton

there are also a couple of walk-ons, and several QBs who were recruited to play other positions.

Forget their stars.

Did Alaimo enroll early ? I don't know.

But that's 5 young QBs - none with a lot of experience. You could say /admit the field is wide open. It would have been nice to have a Spring game maybe one of the above would have risen to the top. but alas.

the question stated we are 2 over scholarship wise. Where do you think somebody will leave from. My answer was either a lineman who didn't bulk up or one of our QBs who falls to 5th on the depth chart.

if Burton wins the starting job, is Plummer going to be happy as a back-up? Then again, would Plummer actually be #2 ? Or could O'Connell pass him up? What if Alaimo claims the #2 or 3 spot? Is Pifiri going to be happy on the bottom? or maybe he'll move up.

my simple point is if somebody is about to transfer away from purdue, in order for us to get under our max, I believe it will be one of the QBs listed above. And I don't believe it will be Burton or O'Connell.

NAT _ I tried to be brief in my initial response thinking our posters were smart enough to realize what i was implying. purdue 85 realized exactly what I was saying.

basically, we're going to have 1-2 unhappy Qbs on the bottom of our depth chart. We're recruiting hard to land another 4 star QB to add to the mix next year. Doing the math, much like Alstott, barring injuries, there are 2 QBs above who will never throw a pass for purdue. I' m speculating one of those two will realize it , and move on.

I’m 1 over if Brandt still enrolls in the fall

Listen to the last minute of this video (9:23 onward) and I think that’s where our numbers might be different. The first two guys mentioned, I think we align, the 3rd guy Brohm mentions is why I’m saying we are 2 over (Mike Carmin mention Thieneman but that’s old news, wait for Brohms comment after that)

I know people bash Hammer & Rails, but I actually think they do a decent job of the scholarship grid, which is the only location I can find for that info. Sometimes their totals are wrong, etc, but overall is a pretty good reference document. Their grid is also missing that 3rd person Brohm mentions but includes Garvin. My assumption is they actually know that for fact now.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2020/5/25/21269525/purdue-football-scholarship-grid-2020-may-25

Is that why our numbers are different?

Last edited:
a question for NAT
what happens if purdue is over their max scholarships? are there actual procedures ? By NCAA regulation for power 5 schools, Purdue can't take back a 4 year scholarship it gave to a player. however, could it take back a scholarship it gave to a juco player , a walk-on, or a grad transfer? Do those scholarships fall under the same guidelines ? Is it possible to get under the max, O'Connell could revert back to walk-on status to make the NCAA happy?

Last edited:
a question for the board. I gave my opinion about who I thought might leave. The original poster requested that we not name names. Out of respect for that poster, I didn't include any names. I'm sorry to those of you who wanted me to be more specific in my opinions.

In the future, it would be nice rather than wasting your time dissing my posts/opinions, and being brave and share your OWN ORIGINAL thoughts for others like myself to review.

The original author stated he thinks we're two over scholarship wise. rather than bashing me, how about for a change, answering the original post like I did?

We have 2 possible overages. What position do you believe is the most likely to see a person leave? I said a lineman and a QB.

your opinion of what position players might leave is ……….

Listen to the last minute of this video (9:23 onward) and I think that’s where our numbers might be different. The first two guys mentioned, I think we align, the 3rd guy Brohm mentions is why I’m saying we are 2 over (Mike Carmin mention Thieneman but that’s old news, wait for Brohms comment after that)

I know people bash Hammer & Rails, but I actually think they do a decent job of the scholarship grid, which is the only location I can find for that info. Sometimes their totals are wrong, etc, but overall is a pretty good reference document. Their grid is also missing that 3rd person Brohm mentions but includes Garvin. My assumption is they actually know that for fact now.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2020/5/25/21269525/purdue-football-scholarship-grid-2020-may-25

Garvin hasnt been awarded a schollie yet that is public knowledge. Also, Brandt was a blue shirt and never signed a NLI. They could very easily defer his enrollment to winter to get under the limit. If you remove those two and add back armour, thats why im at 85.

a question for NAT
what happens if purdue is over their max scholarships? are there actual procedures ? By NCAA regulation for power 5 schools, Purdue can't take back a 4 year scholarship it gave to a player. however, could it take back a scholarship it gave to a juco player , a walk-on, or a grad transfer? Do those scholarships fall under the same guidelines ? Is it possible to get under the max, O'Connell could revert back to walk-on status to make the NCAA happy?
In the past, they would defer the enrollment of a freshman to the following january. That pushed the schollie back a year. I assume they would do the same now.

You want specifics ??? I'll give you some.

QBs currently on the roster :

Plummer
O'Connell
Piferi
Alaimo
Burton

there are also a couple of walk-ons, and several QBs who were recruited to play other positions.

Forget their stars.

Did Alaimo enroll early ? I don't know.

But that's 5 young QBs - none with a lot of experience. You could say /admit the field is wide open. It would have been nice to have a Spring game maybe one of the above would have risen to the top. but alas.

the question stated we are 2 over scholarship wise. Where do you think somebody will leave from. My answer was either a lineman who didn't bulk up or one of our QBs who falls to 5th on the depth chart.

if Burton wins the starting job, is Plummer going to be happy as a back-up? Then again, would Plummer actually be #2 ? Or could O'Connell pass him up? What if Alaimo claims the #2 or 3 spot? Is Pifiri going to be happy on the bottom? or maybe he'll move up.

my simple point is if somebody is about to transfer away from purdue, in order for us to get under our max, I believe it will be one of the QBs listed above. And I don't believe it will be Burton or O'Connell.

NAT _ I tried to be brief in my initial response thinking our posters were smart enough to realize what i was implying. purdue 85 realized exactly what I was saying.

basically, we're going to have 1-2 unhappy Qbs on the bottom of our depth chart. We're recruiting hard to land another 4 star QB to add to the mix next year. Doing the math, much like Alstott, barring injuries, there are 2 QBs above who will never throw a pass for purdue. I' m speculating one of those two will realize it , and move on.
Well, to start with ...my point was you “ specifically” said “ If I’m a 4 star QB, I wouldn’t want to blah blah blah blah” , to which that only applies to one kid we will have on the roster, and he’s Not here yet ( Alaimo). I dont need you to list all the QBs as thats pretty easy for anyone to do ( doesn’t make you a genius). No Alaimo did not enroll early ( thought the genius in you would know that) and there is only 1 walk on ( Albers) not “ a couple”. So far, your batting avg is pretty low in the correctness scale. Also, the kids we recruited that may have played QB in HS know they didn’t come to play QB so that’s an irrelevant comment. You think 1 of the 5 QBs u listed will transfer out .. soon... to help us get under our max schollies for this year? Burton? Just got here. Plummer? The #1 now. AOC? The co#1 now. Piferi? He better hurry if he’s going to. Alaimo? Not even here yet so you think he may transfer? Lol. The QB starter won’t be decided until mid August. Like I said, par for the course. Lastly, we are 1 over in schollies, not 2. Your post loaded with errors. How’s that for the “ smart enough for other posters” response?

a question for NAT
And yet another error. The schools themselves structure the scholarships, not the NCAA. . They can be 4 one year scholarships or 1 four year scholarships. Conferences do it differently. Ive seen both.

Last edited:
I updated the title of the thread. Seems like there’s consensus we are 1 over, assuming Brandt enrolls like planned. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was under the impression Hammer & Rails had some inside info on Garvin on scholarship, but seems like fake news.

Looks like there’s a guess on a QB and OL so far, in addition to what I first thought of WR, OL or DE.

While I’m not interested in adding fuel to a fire, for my benefit, isn’t there at least one more QB walk-on coming? Albers is mentioned, what about Andrew Hobson?

No Alaimo did not enroll early .......... and there is only 1 walk on ( Albers) not “ a couple”.

Last edited:

I do appreciate the effort they put into trying to keep up with the scholarship distribution. In the past the only other Purdue site I've known to do that was oldgoldfreepress/mrgridiron. I don't think I've ever seen one on rivals/gbi. They don't seem to maintain a depth chart either, which they used to.

I do appreciate the effort they put into trying to keep up with the scholarship distribution. In the past the only other Purdue site I've known to do that was oldgoldfreepress/mrgridiron. I don't think I've ever seen one on rivals/gbi. They don't seem to maintain a depth chart either, which they used to.

Several GBI users maintain a schollie chart on their own. Its a fluid number, i dont blame GBI for not bothering.

Re the depth chart - The best source is purduesports on a weekly basis. GBI put the starters for spring in their reports.

I updated the title of the thread. Seems like there’s consensus we are 1 over, assuming Brandt enrolls like planned. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was under the impression Hammer & Rails had some inside info on Garvin on scholarship, but seems like fake news.

Looks like there’s a guess on a QB and OL so far, in addition to what I first thought of WR, OL or DE.

While I’m not interested in adding fuel to a fire, for my benefit, isn’t there at least one more QB walk-on coming? Albers is mentioned, what about Andrew Hobson?
Thought I remember reading he was not, but if I am wrong in that one, I will retract that statement and apologize to Bigs on that one.

Bigs, after getting down to a walk-on last year, I don't think 5 QBs is a lot to have on a roster. Alaimo is probably slated to redshirt (OMG did I say that out loud?). I guess one thing I'm surprised at is AOC getting a scholly if we were set to be over the number, but I guess I just have to submit to the coaching staff knowing what they're doing when it comes to the roster. They're smarter than all of us when it comes to that.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops

Looks like Brohm himself said Garvin was on scholarship per this old thread here: https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/th...ohm-spring-practice-no-6.188945/#post-2525142

No he didn’t. He said “the future looks bright”. This is why people make fun of your reporting

People don't make fun of it, they absolutely skewer it.

To be clear, I want H&R to be solid... to be one of the "go to" sources for Purdue athletics.

For all the H&R people, y'all are a helluva ways away from that (being "go to" for anything related to Purdue).

GET BETTER.

BE better.

Stop attacking your readers online and on social media, stop being so d@mn political, take some pride in your d@mn work, work harder, try to appeal to your customers by providing content that's timely, accurate and valuable, and you won't take so much heat.

Or... not.

It doesn't matter to me.

People don't make fun of it, they absolutely skewer it.

To be clear, I want H&R to be solid... to be one of the "go to" sources for Purdue athletics.

For all the H&R people, y'all are a helluva ways away from that (being "go to" for anything related to Purdue).

GET BETTER.

BE better.

Stop attacking your readers online and on social media, stop being so d@mn political, take some pride in your d@mn work, work harder, try to appeal to your customers by providing content that's timely, accurate and valuable, and you won't take so much heat.

Or... not.

It doesn't matter to me.
Not a problem, and thank you for this. I am taking him off my grid. We've also completely cut out the political stuff from the site feed (I don't even run the site Twitter anymore and haven't in more than a year).

Garvin is an easy removal from the list and was probably the most out there from the walk-ons that have earned a scholarship like Horvath, Thieneman, and O'Connell. Still tight for now, but as always, I am sure spots will open up for the 2021 class because there is always offseason attrition following the season.

Reactions: Purdue85
Not a problem, and thank you for this. I am taking him off my grid. We've also completely cut out the political stuff from the site feed (I don't even run the site Twitter anymore and haven't in more than a year).

Garvin is an easy removal from the list and was probably the most out there from the walk-ons that have earned a scholarship like Horvath, Thieneman, and O'Connell. Still tight for now, but as always, I am sure spots will open up for the 2021 class because there is always offseason attrition following the season.

Looks like your H&R boys are at it again, badmouthing and disparaging Drew Brees on Twitter.

They're welcome to their points of view. With that said, if they're going to prominently claim their H&R affiliation on their twitter profile and link to hammerandrails.com, you might want to have them lay off the radical politics.

You're trying to ride both sides of the fence, and it's not working out well for you.

Seems like there’s consensus we are 1 over, assuming Brandt enrolls like planned.

So with DJ Johnson coming aboard, that would make us two over? Looks like Brandt is on campus already.

And yet another error. The schools themselves structure the scholarships, not the NCAA. . They can be 4 one year scholarships or 1 four year scholarships. Conferences do it differently. Ive seen both.
Sorry Black gold under the terms of the creation of the power 5 conferences those rules were changed. And last time I looked Purdue is in a power 5 conference and I’ve provide links to those changes various times! Next time you call me out, do some research first!

And there are several other QB walkons I didn’t mention.

as for star ratings, there’s really at least three national sources. Just because one person doesn’t like ESPN doesn’t mean it’s not a source. And some players gain or lose stars during the course of their senior year due to injuries etc. should we set a date and source as to which stars we should use?

One example was TRE. He was a 4 star basketball player until his injury. should he count as a 4 star recruit because that’s what he was when we first started recruiting him? Or should he count as a low life mediocre 3 star because that’s what his rating fell after his injury?

Sorry Black gold under the terms of the creation of the power 5 conferences those rules were changed. And last time I looked Purdue is in a power 5 conference and I’ve provide links to those changes various times! Next time you call me out, do some research first!
What rules were changed? How do you believe ( in all your research) that Purdue awards scholarships for football? Do you think they are 4 year awards Guaranteed ( unless of course the athlete flunks out or has off the field problems)? Or do we offer 4 one year awards That can be pulled after a year ? Or some other arrangement? Curious what you know.

What rules were changed? How do you believe ( in all your research) that Purdue awards scholarships for football? Do you think they are 4 year awards Guaranteed ( unless of course the athlete flunks out or has off the field problems)? Or do we offer 4 one year awards That can be pulled after a year ? Or some other arrangement? Curious what you know.

there's a link in one my previous posts about the creation of power 5 conferences. To have the privileges of being a power 5 conference and receiving it's rewards, one of the rulings concerned the elimination of 1 year scholarships, and for certain sports like football and basketball, incoming high school players whe n the y signed their LOI would receive a guaranteed 4 year scholarship that could not be taken away unless the player voluntarily chose to do so. and it was introduced by the BIG 10 commissioner to be included in those rules that govern power 5 conferences. I believe my links quoted two very respected news sources. I posted this about 2-3 years ago when it was suggested brohm could just say good bye to a bunch of hazell's mediocre recruits. he could encourage them to leave, but under the new terms, he could not take their scholarships away. the rules do not apply to walk-ons, jucos or transfers. and the rules do not apply to all sports.

Part of the interest is that purdue is likely to compete against schools in basketball and football that are not power 5 conferences, and the same rules do not apply.

below is just one link. there re now different rules for power 5 schools.

https://athleticollege.com/8-ways-a-coach-can-take-away-your-athletic-scholarship/

here's another link:
https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-power-5-school-scholarship-reduction-rules/

and another:

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/...-new-rules-that-will-affect-student-athletes/

and another:

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

Last edited:
there's a link in one my previous posts about the creation of power 5 conferences. To have the privileges of being a power 5 conference and receiving it's rewards, one of the rulings concerned the elimination of 1 year scholarships, and for certain sports like football and basketball, incoming high school players whe n the y signed their LOI would receive a guaranteed 4 year scholarship that could not be taken away unless the player voluntarily chose to do so. and it was introduced by the BIG 10 commissioner to be included in those rules that govern power 5 conferences. I believe my links quoted two very respected news sources. I posted this about 2-3 years ago when it was suggested brohm could just say good bye to a bunch of hazell's mediocre recruits. he could encourage them to leave, but under the new terms, he could not take their scholarships away. the rules do not apply to walk-ons, jucos or transfers. and the rules do not apply to all sports.

Part of the interest is that purdue is likely to compete against schools in basketball and football that are not power 5 conferences, and the same rules do not apply.

below is just one link. there re now different rules for power 5 schools.

https://athleticollege.com/8-ways-a-coach-can-take-away-your-athletic-scholarship/

here's another link:
https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-power-5-school-scholarship-reduction-rules/

and another:

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/...-new-rules-that-will-affect-student-athletes/

and another:

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/
When Brohm got here he could have gotten rid of the 5th year seniors from the Hazel regime. Their scholarships were only for 4 years , no?

When Brohm got here he could have gotten rid of the 5th year seniors from the Hazel regime. Their scholarships were only for 4 years , no?

the rules went into effect in 2015. and it affected high school players who signed after that date and not existing players. . So anybody who signed before that date could have been ejected, gotten rid of, swept under the rug. and so forth.

So yes, brohm could have technically gotten rid of a bunch of losers and he did. a lot of them. But he can't do that anymore to the players he now signs. except transfers and jucos and walk-ons. .

the rules went into effect in 2015. and it affected high school players who signed after that date and not existing players. . So anybody who signed before that date could have been ejected, gotten rid of, swept under the rug. and so forth.

So yes, brohm could have technically gotten rid of a bunch of losers and he did. a lot of them. But he can't do that anymore to the players he now signs. except transfers and jucos and walk-ons. .

For someone so vocal about name-calling, that was amazingly tone deaf.

Regardless what you think of Darrell Hazell, those players were Boilermakers.

something Purdue could do is place a player on an injury scholarship and it doesn't count against the total. this is different than red-shirting because of injury scholarship. the injury scholarship is used if the players says he'll never be able to play again. We had that basketball player (Simpson?) that suffered a career injury. I believe he still received a scholarship from purdue, but it wasn't counted against the total.

my son was a redshirt because of injury and gained a 5th year of eligibility where-upon, he re-injured himself once more. As a coach, he knows a lot about recovering from injuries.

For someone so vocal about name-calling, that was amazingly tone deaf.

Regardless what you think of Darrell Hazell, those players were Boilermakers.

I sang their praise for some of them as being on Brohm's only winning team. which is a lot more than most Boiler fans wil l admit. . maybe I should have said, I'm just quoting your assessments of them. many of you have used even harsher words to describe them. and if you look at their win loss records, they were losers.

I'm just trying to fit in and call them what everyone else on this board called them.

And when brohm first arrived, he suggested to many of them that they should seek playing time elsewhere.

I sang their praise for some of them as being on Brohm's only winning team. which is a lot more than most Boiler fans wil l admit. . maybe I should have said, I'm just quoting your assessments of them. many of you have used even harsher words to describe them. and if you look at their win loss records, they were losers.

I'm just trying to fit in and call them what everyone else on this board called them.

And when brohm first arrived, he suggested to many of them that they should seek playing time elsewhere.

Stop with the B-S.
  1. You're not "quoting (MY) assessments of them".
  2. You're wrong to say it's "what everyone else on this board called them". Not everyone else has done that. Very FEW people have done that.
  3. Brohm suggesting that ANYONE seek playing time elsewhere doesn't make them "losers".
  4. Now you've painted yourself in a corner, and you're trying to weasel out. You win as a team, you lose as a team. The 2019 players are not "losers", either.
Stop digging.

You are absolutely right 85 and thank you for making my point as to how hypocritical this board is. nobody other than you found offense with my terminology of the players who left.

and I would guess if certain other posters here used that same description, you wouldn't have raised a finger against those other posters to defend those players would you? it's only when I degrade a player that you get all huffy about it. Why do you hold me to a different standard than anybody else? it's almost as you're stalking my posts waiting to pounce

Should we actually call a player who never played a down and left after one year a Boilermaker as you suggest? Or should we instead refer to them by their true name - a student athlete? that's what they really are, and that's what we should refer them as.

there are a lot of student athletes out there using their athletic skills to try to get an education. and some of those students athletes go to different universities. but you have no problem calling them or their fans names, do you? you've been calling those student athletes names since 1985, and probabl y before, and you have no regrets or remorse, do you? Unless they transfer to purdue.

So let me take my Purdue hat off for a minute and put my USF hat on. if I was from USF and used a different name, and called Hazell's players' losers, you'd probably agree. if I put my IU hat on, you'd call me a troll.

the fact is, you hold double standards for certain posters. and you always love to argue with certain other posters. and yo u always defend the fort against whom you believe to be IU posters. and you love to attack MSU.

the facts are brohm asked and encouraged a lot of players to leave. Why? because he found better players. and some players left for other reasons.

You can keep getting all over my case if you want. But NOBODY else did. and what's that say about this board? They basically agreed with me. They LOVE name calling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT