ADVERTISEMENT

“Secret” Scrimmage with Cincinnati

I think he has been on the winning side against Purdue once in 9 games? That one game was due to a Purdue miss wide open under the bucket..was it Trevion?

The four-footer that was about two feet short......
headscratch.gif
dunno.gif

• Love
Reactions: TX4GB and tjreese
That’s more realistic. I’d guess 4-7.
Time will tell...he should have plenty of opportunity with PT. Maybe that's where the poster is coming up with those numbers.

I will say that he can flat out shoot the ball. So, you would think he'll take advantage of the opportunities available.

Time will tell...he should have plenty of opportunity with PT. Maybe that's where the poster is coming up with those numbers.

I will say that he can flat out shoot the ball. So, you would think he'll take advantage of the opportunities available.
I just don’t see him getting more than 20 minutes per game.

Agree that he is an outstanding shooter.

Smith: 25
Loyer: 20
Morton: 25
Newman: 20
Jenkins: 15
Heide: 15
I’d like for something similar to this to be true because I’m really wanting Heide to carve out a role. I’m thinking those 15 are unfortunately going to get spread out to the other 5 though with Heide redshirting and Waddell playing an emergency role when there’s foul trouble in the backcourt

The stat I liked the most was 16 points off of 12 Cincinnati turnovers. That means Purdue attacked off those.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think he has been on the winning side against Purdue once in 9 games? That one game was due to a Purdue miss wide open under the bucket..was it Trevion?
Well, it was due to a make actually...by him, during a game in which he actually lit Purdue up...but, to your point, Purdue STILL could have won had Tre made a shot literally at the rim.

Reactions: tjreese
And a game with essentially no TJD and Durr playing.
for whatever reason...Purdue got shook the last few minutes of the first half. I didn't know if they thought they were due to get beat before starting another 10 game streak or such. Still, Purdue had the ugly game won in regulation after Matt calls a timeout and sets up a play where Trevion??? got the ball wide open 4 feet away and misses with Phinesee getting two cracks on the same set but opposite sides due to a ball going off a Purdue player on the first miss. If I recall correctly, there was some shoving that created the ball going off a Purdue player, but still...no reason to lose that game.

Have been beating that drum for awhile...no way that guy should not be starting, and, getting big minutes...WAY too talented for either to be the case.

I love the effort Gillis provides. But if TKR performs as advertised and as well as he did in this game, it would be a dereliction of duties for Painter not to have him on the court as many minutes as he can handle.

I love the effort Gillis provides. But if TKR performs as advertised and as well as he did in this game, it would be a dereliction of duties for Painter not to have him on the court as many minutes as he can handle.
Like say, he is Purdue's second best player from a talent perspective I believe, and, probably their actual most skilled player...I love Gillis...I love Furst...Trey was a better player and has more skills than either...no way that he should not be starting and getting big minutes...and, any notion that his game does not complement Zach and he therefor will not do either is crazy...again, figure it out...have to have your best players on the floor, and, he is indeed one of Purdue's best players.

Reactions: oldboiler52
and he may? Still, Matt also is interested in the second group being good as well while matching the minutes they should play. The question may be is Zach & Mason together and Trey & Caleb together more "robust" than Zach & Trey or Caleb and Mason and Trey or Caleb? I don't know the answer to that, but I do like or think I like Trey & Caleb on the court together whenever Zach is out and so that kinda ties Mason to Zach while Zach is playing as a guess on my end

We know or we expect that Mason, Trey and Caleb will all play some with Zach, but who is out there when Zach is not playing and is that group the right people?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
and he may? Still, Matt also is interested in the second group being good as well while matching the minutes they should play. The question may be is Zach & Mason together and Trey & Caleb together more "robust" than Zach & Trey or Caleb and Mason and Trey or Caleb? I don't know the answer to that, but I do like or think I like Trey & Caleb on the court together whenever Zach is out and so that kinda ties Mason to Zach while Zach is playing as a guess on my end

We know or we expect that Mason, Trey and Caleb will all play some with Zach, but who is out there when Zach is not playing and is that group the right people?
I get it, but, I am tired about hearing about the second unit or whatever...figure out how to get your best players on the floor for the majority of the minutes.

A year ago, Purdue's second unit was awesome until conference play started, and, when has Purdue or any other team won...and won big...because it had a good second group/unit?

I have said it and stand by it....if Furst and Trey are losing minutes...for whatever reason(s)...it is not a good thing...for them, or, for Purdue.

Painter has never gone deeper than 8 guys really, so, that alone throws the idea of a good "second group/unit" out the window. Depth is important...quality depth more so....and, they have that up front, but, again, anything that leads to Furst or Trey spending more time on the bench than on the floor is difficult for me to understand admittedly.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and msm2

I'm not comparing TKR to Jaden Ivey by any means. But Jaden played 30+ mpg last year. You keep your best player on the floor as many minutes as possible regardless of the lineup. I understand what you're getting at with complementary play. But who says TKR can't complement any lineup? And IMHO Trevion Williams only getting 20 mpg last year wasn't a good thing...

I get it, but, I am tired about hearing about the second unit or whatever...figure out how to get your best players on the floor for the majority of the minutes.

A year ago, Purdue's second unit was awesome until conference play started, and, when has Purdue or any other team won...and won big...because it had a good second group/unit?

I have said it and stand by it....if Furst and Trey are losing minutes...for whatever reason(s)...it is not a good thing...for them, or, for Purdue.

Painter has never gone deeper than 8 guys really, so, that alone throws the idea of a good "second group/unit" out the window. Depth is important...quality depth more so....and, they have that up front, but, again, anything that leads to Furst or Trey spending more time on the bench than on the floor is difficult for me to understand admittedly.
I agree that Matt will trim the playing time down, but not early and not until he has a better feel and there will not be a second five the plays half the minutes. Rather there will be combinations of personnel that he prefers, doesn't prefer and ones he is okay with.

I expect Mason, Trey and Caleb to see minutes with Zach. Now is there a preferred two players out of Mason, Trey and Caleb when Zach goes to the bench? I'm guessing that the two preferred are Trey and Caleb...especially is Trey is the second best post scorer as previously stated. If true, how do you manage minutes until you get a much better feel for the players and reduce minutes for some? One scrimmage may be a long way away from who is playing in Jan/Feb. FWIW, I too think Trey can be quite a player, but is Trey the best Trey version when playing with Zach being that both are supposed to be the best two low post scorers. Now if Zach moves out to 12 feet and is a threat...my personnel changes

I'm not comparing TKR to Jaden Ivey by any means. But Jaden played 30+ mpg last year. You keep your best player on the floor as many minutes as possible regardless of the lineup. I understand what you're getting at with complementary play. But who says TKR can't complement any lineup? And IMHO Trevion Williams only getting 20 mpg last year wasn't a good thing...
Trey will be a better college player than Jaden I suspect..."college"...

I agree that Matt will trim the playing time down, but not early and not until he has a better feel and there will not be a second five the plays half the minutes. Rather there will be combinations of personnel that he prefers, doesn't prefer and ones he is okay with.

I expect Mason, Trey and Caleb to see minutes with Zach. Now is there a preferred two players out of Mason, Trey and Caleb when Zach goes to the bench? I'm guessing that the two preferred are Trey and Caleb...especially is Trey is the second best post scorer as previously stated. If true, how do you manage minutes until you get a much better feel for the players and reduce minutes for some? One scrimmage may be a long way away from who is playing in Jan/Feb. FWIW, I too think Trey can be quite a player, but is Trey the best Trey version when playing with Zach being that both are supposed to be the best two low post scorers. Now if Zach moves out to 12 feet and is a threat...my personnel changes
Trey can play in the post (obviously), but, he has a mid-range game, and, he can stretch out beyond the arc even as well.

If Trey is indeed the second best post player, then, I am puzzled as to why Furst is no longer in the lineup AND backing up Edey.

Edey, Furst and Trey are Purdue's best players, they need to figure out a way to have them on the floor together, or, at least 2 of the 3 the majority of the time...ideally they would find a way to have all 3 of them on the floor.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Trey will be a better college player than Jaden I suspect..."college"...
Only because he will be there longer...and, also in part because he is more polished coming in (plus, he benefited by having a year to work on things by sitting out).

We never got to see the best version or a finished product in Jaden unfortunately...just a lot of flashes and glimpses.

Considering this was his first college game, 11 pts. is pretty good and yes I stick by what I said. 12-14. and I said may not happen right off the bat, but eventually and he was almost there today.
Lol we don’t even know what the format of this game was. He has no chance of averaging double digits let alone 14 points a game.

Trey can play in the post (obviously), but, he has a mid-range game, and, he can stretch out beyond the arc even as well.

If Trey is indeed the second best post player, then, I am puzzled as to why Furst is no longer in the lineup AND backing up Edey.

Edey, Furst and Trey are Purdue's best players, they need to figure out a way to have them on the floor together, or, at least 2 of the 3 the majority of the time...ideally they would find a way to have all 3 of them on the floor.
It was reported that Trey was the second best post player, but as you said he can do other things. I imagine his ability to put the ball on the court with his size and ability to shoot make him effective in the post. I do not know who has the ball handling and quickness for a 3 at this time out of those players. The season hasn't really started and nobody will put the study into the players like the coaches that not only see them play every day, but want to win as well. I'm just going to let it play out and may have my own ideas in a month or so...maybe???

Reactions: Schnelk and DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT