ADVERTISEMENT

“America does not have a tribalism problem: it has a racism problem”

ComradeRedBoilermaker

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2016
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/racism-not-tribalism/575173/

I am not arguing that the Democratic Party or its members are particularly virtuous. A little more than a century ago, it was the Republican Party that was reliant on a diverse coalition of voters, and the Democratic Party that rode white rage to power. Rather, I am saying that when a party’s viability is dependent on a diverse coalition of voters, that party will necessarily stand for pluralism and equal rights, because its survival depends on it. And when a party is not diverse, it will rely on demonizing those who are different, because no constituency exists within that party to prevent it from doing so, or to show its members that they have nothing to fear.

In the Trump era, America finds itself with two political parties: one that’s growing more reliant on the nation’s diversity, and one that sees its path to power in stoking fear and rage toward those who are different. America doesn’t have a “tribalism” problem. It has a racism problem. And the parties are not equally responsible.”

I thought this article was a good takedown of the lazy “tribalism” takes popping up in center right media spaces

Reactions: BuilderBob6
This guy is an opinion writer. We know what they say about opinions.
"Opinions are like a$$es, they may look different but they all smell the same.
I do believe the Country is very divisive, It Started under Obama and has continued under Trump.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
This guy is an opinion writer. We know what they say about opinions.
"Opinions are like a$$es, they may look different but they all smell the same.
I do believe the Country is very divisive, It Started under Obama and has continued under Trump.
Division started under Obama, right... C'mon man, that's just absurd. There's been plenty of division before, I do agree that the right wing took the division up 1000% when Obama got elected, but that wasn't' the start.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/racism-not-tribalism/575173/

I am not arguing that the Democratic Party or its members are particularly virtuous. A little more than a century ago, it was the Republican Party that was reliant on a diverse coalition of voters, and the Democratic Party that rode white rage to power. Rather, I am saying that when a party’s viability is dependent on a diverse coalition of voters, that party will necessarily stand for pluralism and equal rights, because its survival depends on it. And when a party is not diverse, it will rely on demonizing those who are different, because no constituency exists within that party to prevent it from doing so, or to show its members that they have nothing to fear.

In the Trump era, America finds itself with two political parties: one that’s growing more reliant on the nation’s diversity, and one that sees its path to power in stoking fear and rage toward those who are different. America doesn’t have a “tribalism” problem. It has a racism problem. And the parties are not equally responsible.”

I thought this article was a good takedown of the lazy “tribalism” takes popping up in center right media spaces
I know you're trying to start something, so let me contribute: NEW YORK: Former US President Bill Clinton had taken a racial jibe at Barack Obama in 2008, saying "this guy would have been carrying our bags", a report claimed on Monday.

Mr Clinton allegedly made the racially insensitive remark to Senator Ted Kennedy as he tried to convince the liberal to endorse his wife, Hillary Clinton, Mr Obama's rival, for the Democratic nomination, according to The New Yorker.

Only days before he will nominate President Obama for re-election in the November 6 presidential polls, the report claimed that in 2008 the former President had reportedly said: "A few years ago, this guy would have been carrying our bags."

The reported comment was similar to the one attributed to Mr Clinton in a 2010 book.

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," Mr Clinton was quoted as saying in Game Change, by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

As a conservative, I don't consider that racist, but a statement about BHO's ineptitude at being President...a bush league candidate. Could it have been meant that way, yes as we have instances where both Slick and his Bride Hillary were known to use racist language.

And then there's LBJ, the bastion of liberalism and what he said: From Snopes:

There’s no question that Lyndon Johnson, despite championing the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 and signing it into law, was also a sometime racist and notorious vulgarian who rarely shied away from using the N-word in private. For example, he reportedly referred to the Civil Rights Act of 1957 as the “****** bill” in more than one private phone conversation with Senate colleagues. And he reportedly said upon appointing African-American judge Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, “Son, when I appoint a ****** to the court, I want everyone to know he’s a ******.”

And this "jewel":

But there were also instances of casual racism that can’t be so easily rationalized. Biographer Caro also notes that Johnson is said to have replied as follows to a black chauffeur who told him he’d prefer to be called by name instead of “boy,” “******” or “chief”:

As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, ******, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture.

Again, as a conservative, these are very racist statements. Yet so many liberals followed every word LBJ said.

What you fail to mention in your one-sided argument is that there is racism with all, whether black, white, brown, or pink. Some blacks detest and hate whites, some blacks hate other blacks who are successful. Why is Clarence Thomas hated while Oprah is revered by many? Why do some Hispanics hate blacks, and some blacks hate Hispanics? Why are Asians put to a different standard when trying to enter colleges in the Ivy league?

If you all are going to point the finger, remember there's three on that same hand pointing back to you.

Reactions: herrli
search
Nt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT