ADVERTISEMENT

Zack's Problem

RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
The Ref's, they have taken him out of his game, he is afraid of fouling, yet his defenders mug him all the time. Pushing, shoving, body ups, hacking etc.
I wish Painter would take one for him, just to bring it to the attention of all concerned. Let him play ball.
The refs will destroy his confidence.

What do you think

The Ref's, they have taken him out of his game, he is afraid of fouling, yet his defenders mug him all the time. Pushing, shoving, body ups, hacking etc.
I wish Painter would take one for him, just to bring it to the attention of all concerned. Let him play ball.

What do you think
It's a nightmare type flashback to what happened to Haas over and over again. You would have thought after Haas was injured and out of the tournament that something had to be done by the NCAA. But no. So teams will continue the flopping and get away with it. I said it then and I say it again: If you are dumb enough to put your head anywhere near Hass or Edey's elbows you deserve the black eye or knocked out tooth you get plus an intentional foul. If it was Duke, Kansas or Kentucky the officials would call it differently. The NCAA has everything under control.

It's only me, but I would tell him to be even more aggressive.... to the point where he knocks someone silly for doing something dumb for sticking their face next to his elbow. He may get kicked out of a game (or two), but there won't be a line full of guys lining up to be 'next'. I'm not telling Edey to deliberately hit anyone, but if they choose to get in the way or deliberately don't make effort to get out of the way, well, so be it. Painter obviously never told Haas to do this and his reward was a broken elbow.

What do you think
Painter needs to go to bat for Edey. He didn't so much for Haas. One of my very few complaints about our coach.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Painter needs to go to bat for Edey. He didn't so much for Haas. One of my very few complaints about our coach.

nah he will just drink about 15 more waters per game .. note how he drinks water like he’s in the desert when things go poorly

I feel his problem lately is playing soft in general. Seemed like the first couple of games especially he was on the attack, which was great to see.

Painter sent tapes to the B1G offices several times after games, and there’s literally a rule now known as the “Haas rule” (hook and hold). While I think Painter could be more vocal about the BS going on with Edey, it’s complete revisionist history to act like Painter doesn’t go to bat for his bigs.

Painter sent tapes to the B1G offices several times after games, and there’s literally a rule now known as the “Haas rule” (hook and hold). While I think Painter could be more vocal about the BS going on with Edey, it’s complete revisionist history to act like Painter doesn’t go to bat for his bigs.
I think we’re all comparing him to his predecessor, who would have had to be physically restrained by all 3 assistants.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think we’re all comparing him to his predecessor, who would have had to be physically restrained by all 3 assistants.
We mock Fran for his outbursts, yet expect Painter to blow a gasket every time a call doesn’t go our way. I agree that Painter needs to work the refs more during games, but it’s not like he’s just rolling over on these issues. He’s much more calculated in his approach.

I think the BT officials should have to go to a seminar on how to call fouls on players in the paint. They have these rules for flops and other things, and they all still officiate the same way. It doesn’t matter what rules you put in a book, if they don’t call it.

Garza should have fouled out in that game. In one play early in the first half, Garza pushed off with his body so hard that Tre, a 280 lb person, was completely pushed out of bounds. No harm no foul I guess.

Reactions: punaj and Bill4411
We mock Fran for his outbursts, yet expect Painter to blow a gasket every time a call doesn’t go our way. I agree that Painter needs to work the refs more during games, but it’s not like he’s just rolling over on these issues. He’s much more calculated in his approach.

That's a straw man argument.

I haven't seen anyone position it the way you just did. Nowhere have I read where people want him to act like Fran.

I admire Painter's restraint, but I'm also in the camp that wonders if he's leaning on the officials enough. As a coach there's a fine line between being respectful and letting your players get .... screwed(?).

Officials are human. As such, they're going to be prone to seeing things one way when they should/could be seeing it another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT