ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Zimos

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
any word on this kid? I just got back from a 7 night cruise and haven't followed things, but do like as to what has transpired in the last week. thanks

He accepted an offer to play football, signed his letter of intent, changed his mind later and failed to honor his commitment to Purdue Univ and Joe Tiller.

He accepted an offer to play football, signed his letter of intent, changed his mind later and failed to honor his commitment to Purdue Univ and Joe Tiller.

Do you mean other than giving his word to go to Purdue and play football, then going back on his word?

The guy got drafted to play professional baseball. That's a big deal.

By your standards, is everyone who leaves early to be professional athletes of low moral character because they did not honor their 4 year commitment to their school? I think not!

By your standards, is everyone who leaves early to be professional athletes of low moral character because they did not honor their 4 year commitment to their school? I think not!

He didn’t go into the MLB though...he was wanting to go to another school (Michigan perhaps) and just play baseball. Ended up at Tenn Tech I think

Getting drafted in the 33rd round is not a big deal.Lots of HS kids get drafted but only a miniscule % make it. The kid got bad advice and lied to JOE TILLER.

After he reneged on his "signed" commitment, he tried to enroll at Tenn Tech, then a Juco college and finally WKU. He made it as high as the Great Lake Loons in Midwest Class A ball-serves him right...……….

Reactions: boiler800
Getting drafted in the 33rd round is not a big deal.Lots of HS kids get drafted but only a miniscule % make it. The kid got bad advice and lied to JOE TILLER.

After he reneged on his "signed" commitment, he tried to enroll at Tenn Tech, then a Juco college and finally WKU. He made it as high as the Great Lake Loons in Midwest Class A ball-serves him right...……….
He chased his dream to play baseball. I can't ever fault anyone for that. I'll also never be as bitter about it as you. Smh

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Keeping your word is a big deal to me. It was a big deal to Purdue as well as they did not release him from his Letter of Intent. He should have thought about the "what ifs" prior to signing his LOI and committing to something like that. Being a man of your word is still a really big deal to many folks in this world. Part of growing up is learning the consequences of signing legal binding contracts. When you become an adult, your actions are held accountable. This is not an issue of "low moral character", but instead it is an issue of welcome to the adult life.

Keeping your word is a big deal to me. It was a big deal to Purdue as well as they did not release him from his Letter of Intent. He should have thought about the "what ifs" prior to signing his LOI and committing to something like that. Being a man of your word is still a really big deal to many folks in this world. Part of growing up is learning the consequences of signing legal binding contracts. When you become an adult, your actions are held accountable. This is not an issue of "low moral character", but instead it is an issue of welcome to the adult life.
Well, 800, you and others did make this a question of character. You dumped Paxson in with a guy who got into bar fights and got stabbed and a maniac who beat and raped women on campus!

That is BULLSHIT.

All this kid wanted to do was play baseball. It's not like he backed out pretending to play baseball only to play football at another school.

And guess what he's doing now... He a pitching coach.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

His Father, a former football player, passed away from a heart attack his senior year. He played as a senior and then was faced with the decision of gaining 30-40 pounds to play football or concentrate on baseball where he was also a good prospect. He decided to pursue baseball and requested a release from his scholarship. Coach Tiller refused so he went to junior college and played a year of baseball before enrolling at Western Kentucky to play baseball. He never played a down of football after his senior year in high school. In today’s environment where player freedom is being recognized and rules are being changed a player would never be refused such a request. Paxson’s Mother and Brother both attended Purdue. No evidence whatsoever of any bad faith by Paxson.
http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php/47793-JB-Paxson-s-dad-passed-away-last-night
https://247sports.com/Player/JB-Paxson-25568
http://gridirondigest.net/topic/52421-jb-paxson/

Well, 800, you and others did make this a question of character. You dumped Paxson in with a guy who got into bar fights and got stabbed and a maniac who beat and raped women on campus!

That is BULLSHIT.

All this kid wanted to do was play baseball. It's not like he backed out pretending to play baseball only to play football at another school.

I was addressing Paxon only and never mentioned anyone else. The reason that Purdue didn't release him from the LOI was to prevent him from pretending to play baseball then go off and play football somewhere else. Good for Purdue. Signing legal documents has consequences. He didn't just change his verbal commit. He signed a LOI. Hopefully he learned a lesson about life. Keeping your word is important. Always.

Reactions: BoilermakerD
I was addressing Paxon only and never mentioned anyone else. The reason that Purdue didn't release him from the LOI was to prevent him from pretending to play baseball then go off and play football somewhere else. Good for Purdue. Signing legal documents has consequences. He didn't just change his verbal commit. He signed a LOI. Hopefully he learned a lesson about life. Keeping your word is important. Always.
Well, you didn't take the time to separate them out. You just happily let the unfortunate association of the character of those three individuals go and to take a shot at a 17 year old kid who's dad died his senior year and made a mistake by getting your hopes up 13 years ago.

Give all the evidence Paxson comes off as a man of high character. . He acted in good faith and when refused he proceeded to demonstrate by his actions (over a 13 year period) were nothing but good faith.
As I said earlier, no coach could get away with that today.

Reactions: boileralum07
Correct me if I'm wrong. If you sign an Lou in one sport, can you not accept a scholarship to play for a school in another Sport?

back on topic you degenerates

Do we still have a legit shot with Zimos or C. Williams? I really like the Saunders pickup but I realllly want at least one of these two.

Reactions: boileralum07
back on topic you degenerates

Do we still have a legit shot with Zimos or C. Williams? I really like the Saunders pickup but I realllly want at least one of these two.

If ANYONE had a clue about what those two are thinking we would have heard about it.

Reactions: MONROvÆ
Correct me if I'm wrong. If you sign an Lou in one sport, can you not accept a scholarship to play for a school in another Sport?

You can not sign a LOI in football or basketball and then sign a LOI for an Olympic sport at another school without a release from the first school you signed with.

That is BULLSHIT.

No no no... I noted that we got three recruits who were high profile and didn’t make it as s Joke. I never said paxsons character was anything like Williams. It was just funny to me cause there was SOO much expectation around so many kids who either ended up in prison, kicked out or never made it here.

And the ones I really feel bad for was guys like Keith smith, Ralph bolden with all the acls ...

I used to be vindictive about Paxson, then I had boys of my own.. I get it. Personally I’ll put all these guys personal happiness above what they mean to Purdue athletics... in fact I’d rather have a guy who doesn’t want to commit 110% to excellence on the field figure that out BEFORE he gets here

Well, you didn't take the time to separate them out. You just happily let the unfortunate association of the character of those three individuals go and to take a shot at a 17 year old kid who's dad died his senior year and made a mistake by getting your hopes up 13 years ago.

To me, and I prefaced it by saying I wish Paxson well.. I also don’t believe he was going to save Purdue football if he did come here.

But a lot of defenses of him sound like “I know him and or his family personally and I like him so piss off.” The only thing that kinda threw it over the edge for me was that he wanted to supposedly play baseball for TENNESSEE... who was introducing him to Peyton Manning and recruiting him for football.. that’s the school he wanted to go to if he got his release.

Yeah, ok... kinda makes you wonder if fulmer had harbaugh in his office looking to see if they could offer paxsons girlfriend a scholarship for badminton.

That part was shady ... but you know what.. so what. He lost his dad. I lost my son suddenly to an accident with a semi in March and though to say... people at work I probably appear to be better than fine.. I’m mostly just a shell of myself barely holding on. So, looking back, it was probably pretty insensitive and stupid for me to care as much or begrudge him in any way... now that I’m even remotely walking in some semblance of his shoes..

The kid probably just missed his dad... and that’s the other thing.. these are just kids ...

To me, and I prefaced it by saying I wish Paxson well.. I also don’t believe he was going to save Purdue football if he did come here.

But a lot of defenses of him sound like “I know him and or his family personally and I like him so piss off.” The only thing that kinda threw it over the edge for me was that he wanted to supposedly play baseball for TENNESSEE... who was introducing him to Peyton Manning and recruiting him for football.. that’s the school he wanted to go to if he got his release.

Yeah, ok... kinda makes you wonder if fulmer had harbaugh in his office looking to see if they could offer paxsons girlfriend a scholarship for badminton.

That part was shady ... but you know what.. so what. He lost his dad. I lost my son suddenly to an accident with a semi in March and though to say... people at work I probably appear to be better than fine.. I’m mostly just a shell of myself barely holding on. So, looking back, it was probably pretty insensitive and stupid for me to care as much or begrudge him in any way... now that I’m even remotely walking in some semblance of his shoes..

The kid probably just missed his dad... and that’s the other thing.. these are just kids ...
Sorry to hear about your loss D. We just found out we are having another boy... He was conceived in March.

You can not sign a LOI in football or basketball and then sign a LOI for an Olympic sport at another school without a release from the first school you signed with.

Thanks. I had thought a LOI was only valid for one sport. I was thinking of Gelen Robinson who came to Purdue but could have easily gone elsewhere on a wrestling scholarship, and George, who could probably receive a track scholarship. and Purdue is currently recruiting somebody for football or basketball who is also a great baseball player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT