ADVERTISEMENT

Zach is rated as the 8th best player in college basketball...

I’d rather see what his stats are playing 30+ minutes than those stats per minute projections. I’d also rather he be rated #8 at the end of the season than at the beginning of it.

What was he coming out of HS like 440th....so much for rankings.lol.
Rankings are fairly accurate, especially when you look at who is playing in the NBA. This year is going to be lead by upperclassmen though. When you look at the Top 15 from CBS Sports...

1. Drew Timme- #43 2019
2. Oscar Tshiebwe- #31 2019
3. Armando Bacot- #27 2019
4. Marcus Sasser- #399 2019
5. Trayce Jackson-Davis- #30 2019
6. Hunter Dickinson- #43 2020
7. Jaime Jacquez Jr- #87 2019
8. Zach Edey- #440 2020
9. Kendric Davis- #152 2018
10. Caleb Love- #14 2020
11. Keyontae George- #7 2022
12. Mike Mikes- #170 2020
13. Nick Smith- #3 2022
14. Dereck Lively- #1 2022
15. Adam Sonogo- #85 2021

11 former Top 100 players. 9 Top 50. Plenty of Juniors and Senior even as you keep going past the Top 15. There ended up being 46 seniors and 25 Juniors in the Top 100 and the article said it's the first time in "over a decade" a freshman wasn't in the Top 10.

Idk, 8 is really good. It means hes the best or second best Center in college. Its not like it says 8th best Center.

With those extra minutes I hope he can stay out of foul trouble. We will see how he is officiated this year then we can determine if he can meet (or exceed!) the potential.

With those extra minutes I hope he can stay out of foul trouble. We will see how he is officiated this year then we can determine if he can meet (or exceed!) the potential.
Yep, officiating will play a big part 4 sure....especially elbows which is his natural place and everyone's face....tricky.

Except he's behind Drew Timme, Oscar Tshiebwe, Armando Bacot, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Hunter Dickinson... So according to those rankings he's the 6th best center.
Funny but not surprising that you think TJD is better. Zach has been better with half the minutes. TJD’s AA preseason rating is based off of potential that he has yet to show. He’s a good player but yet to show he is great.

Funny but not surprising that you think TJD is better. Zach has been better with half the minutes. TJD’s AA preseason rating is based off of potential that he has yet to show. He’s a good player but yet to show he is great.
I think TJD’s accolades have also been based on defense and the ability to play over 25mpg.

Edey has potential in both of those areas that he has yet to show. 😁 (btw, it’s splitting hairs—both players are fantastic)

Those we're just the CBS rankings... But TJDs ability to be on the court more is a plus and not the negative you think it is.

Reactions: mathboy
Isnt Drew Timme a 4? TJD also a 4 that plays the 5 out of necessity. Idk all those other players. But 8th Sounds pretty accurate either way.

I like Edey, but I'd trade him for a 6'9 wing player. I'm not sold on Painter's philosophy of running the offense through the low post. Most of the successful teams have bigs who can step out and play the high PnR instead of just clogging up the lane.
I know we all get exited about 7 footers, but they haven't proven to be the key to making deep tourney runs.

I like Edey, but I'd trade him for a 6'9 wing player. I'm not sold on Painter's philosophy of running the offense through the low post. Most of the successful teams have bigs who can step out and play the high PnR instead of just clogging up the lane.
I know we all get exited about 7 footers, but they haven't proven to be the key to making deep tourney runs.
Good news for ya this season. We've got a couple of really good 6'9" front court players. If they prove to be more effective, or even situationally more effective than the big man, there are options.

Edey is VERY dominant at what he does good, probably the best in college basketball at it this year(low post scoring). But he has a lot of deficiencies as well that I agree lowers our ceiling in the tournament. He's relatively unathletic, very predictable whenever he gets the ball(which in turn makes our entire team predictable, since we run our offense through him), and unless he's guarding another giant, slow footed center, isn't particularly effective on defense. I maintain my position that I'd rather see him come off the bench and have furst and Kaufman start.

Rankings are fairly accurate, especially when you look at who is playing in the NBA. This year is going to be lead by upperclassmen though. When you look at the Top 15 from CBS Sports...

1. Drew Timme- #43 2019
2. Oscar Tshiebwe- #31 2019
3. Armando Bacot- #27 2019
4. Marcus Sasser- #399 2019
5. Trayce Jackson-Davis- #30 2019
6. Hunter Dickinson- #43 2020
7. Jaime Jacquez Jr- #87 2019
8. Zach Edey- #440 2020
9. Kendric Davis- #152 2018
10. Caleb Love- #14 2020
11. Keyontae George- #7 2022
12. Mike Mikes- #170 2020
13. Nick Smith- #3 2022
14. Dereck Lively- #1 2022
15. Adam Sonogo- #85 2021

11 former Top 100 players. 9 Top 50. Plenty of Juniors and Senior even as you keep going past the Top 15. There ended up being 46 seniors and 25 Juniors in the Top 100 and the article said it's the first time in "over a decade" a freshman wasn't in the Top 10.
But Steph Curry was over looked by everyone had to settle for Davison

Except he's behind Drew Timme, Oscar Tshiebwe, Armando Bacot, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Hunter Dickinson... So according to those rankings he's the 6th best center.
only 2 of those are playing the 5 at the next level Most of them are 4s playing 5 situationally. personally, I believe him to be the 2nd best at this point to Hunter only on past success shooting (situationally) from the outside and can pull defenses out with it. Bacot is a distant 3rd and the rest are out of position. Timme is more of Al Horford. Who, is a good player and can play the 5 but is not a true 5 that being said I believe Timme is the first off the board bases on how you can plug him in at 2 spots and his ability to consistently play at uptempo (which is more characteristic of the NBA).

only 2 of those are playing the 5 at the next level Most of them are 4s playing 5 situationally. personally, I believe him to be the 2nd best at this point to Hunter only on past success shooting (situationally) from the outside and can pull defenses out with it. Bacot is a distant 3rd and the rest are out of position. Timme is more of Al Horford. Who, is a good player and can play the 5 but is not a true 5 that being said I believe Timme is the first off the board bases on how you can plug him in at 2 spots and his ability to consistently play at uptempo (which is more characteristic of the NBA).
It doesn't matter what they play at the next position. And they all will play the 5 at the next level. Every single one of them. It isn't 85 anymore. 6-8 dudes play center.

I believe he will be a great college center. I do not believe his talent will translate very well to the NBA. As such, I do not see him leaving early for the nba

I believe he will be a great college center. I do not believe his talent will translate very well to the NBA. As such, I do not see him leaving early for the nba
Agree. And that makes him even more valuable as a college player.

Of course, this is just opinion. However, an ESPN article released this morning on their website had the current top 100 NBA prospects, and it has Edey at 76th. That is insanely low. Of course, it is early in the season, and it is one person's opinion, but still.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT