ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Canadian national team

He wasn't on the line-up roster the previous game against New Zealand.....had one point in limited action yesterday as Team Canada beat Team Germany in OT. World Cup play starts on August 25, IIRC.

Hopefully.....this can be enlarged in viewing.....otherwise, get out your electron microscopes....haha.

209ae9c505372b773b9cbf73364cde9a

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/news/usa-canada-impress-in-undefeated-weekend

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-fiba-world-cup-shai-192038566.html

Last edited:
He wasn't on the line-up roster the previous game against New Zealand.....had one point in limited action yesterday as Team Canada beat Team Germany in OT. World Cup play starts on August 25, IIRC.

Hopefully.....this can be enlarged in viewing.....otherwise, get out your electron microscopes....haha.

209ae9c505372b773b9cbf73364cde9a

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/news/usa-canada-impress-in-undefeated-weekend

https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-fiba-world-cup-shai-192038566.html
I watched part of the last game. Fast paced with a lot of pro style individualized play going on. I’m curious to see how he’d fit in with that style play?

I watched part of the last game. Fast paced with a lot of pro style individualized play going on. I’m curious to see how he’d fit in with that style play?
They may have watched our last game and thought that the slower low post game doesn't work. I really want to prove our style will work. That said, you're only as good as your last game at the end, in the whole picture. We need that devil to stop stalking us.

They may have watched our last game and thought that the slower low post game doesn't work. I really want to prove our style will work. That said, you're only as good as your last game at the end, in the whole picture. We need that devil to stop stalking us.
I'm sure that Zach is still figuring out how to function on both sides of the ball playing with and against a bunch of NBA guys.

If you took his domination at Purdue and surrounded that with a bunch of NBA shooters he'd either average 30+ because he's consistently guarded one on one or you'd set records for three pointers made because you have elite shooters consistently getting open looks.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I'm sure that Zach is still figuring out how to function on both sides of the ball playing with and against a bunch of NBA guys.

If you took his domination at Purdue and surrounded that with a bunch of NBA shooters he'd either average 30+ because he's consistently guarded one on one or you'd set records for three pointers made because you have elite shooters consistently getting open looks.
I agree his offensive advantage would be fun to watch surrounded by NBA shooters.

The defensive end of the floor is where it might get ugly and the most likely reason he is still at PU.

Zach Edey was among a host of Canada players in double figures today as Canada moved to the next stage with a 128-73 rout of Lebanon. Zach Edey had 12 points (6/6 FG - 0/2 FT), 4 rebounds, and two assists.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...d-cup-basketball-men-canada-lebanon-1.6948979

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/player/Zach-Edey

In the opener on Friday, the Canadians took it to the French, c'est magnifique - in a 95-65 beating worthy of extra Bearnaise sauce. Zach Edey was scoreless in limited action. With France losing today to Latvia 88-86.......it was unexpectedly au revoir to France's medal hopes as they did not advance out of the first round.

Last edited:
Canada takes on Slovenia shortly in the last of the QF games - winner gets Germany (just beat Latvia, 81-79) in the SF's. Zach Edey may not get many minutes in this one, but we shall see.

The U.S. is slated to take on Serbia in the other SF.

Canada takes on Slovenia shortly in the last of the QF games - winner gets Germany (just beat Latvia, 81-79) in the SF's. Zach Edey may not get many minutes in this one, but we shall see.

The U.S. is slated to take on Serbia in the other SF.
Well, damn. That makes three games in a row that Edey has not played a single minute. I'm starting to wonder if his time would be better spent practicing with his college teammates.

I'm sure he has learned a lot, but with every undertaking there comes a point of diminishing returns...

Pretty clear why he came back to PU. Powell and Olynyk are decent journeyman guys in the NBA but if you can't get any minutes from those guys, it's obvious you need to stay in college. I love Edey and thrilled he came back. But he is not ready for the NBA.

I don't know what their practices are like for the Canadian team. Maybe he gets some good stuff from that and being around some pros. But with this little to no playing time I would have preferred he just be with the Boilers.

Pretty clear why he came back to PU. Powell and Olynyk are decent journeyman guys in the NBA but if you can't get any minutes from those guys, it's obvious you need to stay in college. I love Edey and thrilled he came back. But he is not ready for the NBA.

I don't know what their practices are like for the Canadian team. Maybe he gets some good stuff from that and being around some pros. But with this little to no playing time I would have preferred he just be with the Boilers.
Clearly better for Zach to be practicing against pros every day than against college kids. Whether his time with the Canadian national team is ultimately better for Purdue that Zach being in WL would be is to be determined.

Well, damn. That makes three games in a row that Edey has not played a single minute. I'm starting to wonder if his time would be better spent practicing with his college teammates.

I'm sure he has learned a lot, but with every undertaking there comes a point of diminishing returns...

Yes - here's the boxscore for Canada's 100-89 victory over Slovenia:

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/game/0609/Canada-Slovenia#tab=boxscore

Still, it's Canada's best performance so far - haven't faced Serbia before, IIRC. This is what you get when you mix NBA professionals, international professionals, NIL players, and the remaining intercollegiate amateurs.

Clearly better for Zach to be practicing against pros every day than against college kids. Whether his time with the Canadian national team is ultimately better for Purdue that Zach being in WL would be is to be determined.
As I said, I don't know what their practices are like. If he's getting some good work against some pros like Olynyk, then that is probably productive. If their practices are just going through the motions and walking through sets, not really sure how much benefit that will be as opposed to being in WL with his teammates.

Welp - not a good outcome for the Great White North as Serbia (even without Nikola Jokic) was too much and defeated Canada, 95-86 in the first SF game. Canada will play for bronze against the U.S./Germany loser. Serbia gets the winner in the Gold Medal game.

Zach Edey got limited action, but he did get on the scoreboard with five points and a board.

https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/game/0809/Serbia-Canada#tab=boxscore

Put me in the camp where even with some of the limited game action that the experience will be good for Mr. Edey and ultimately help him in what may be his last year with Purdue. We shall see, starting in another month or so.

There isn't any way that this isn't a beneficial experience for Zach. #1 pro scouts and players etc get to see his continued progression and development. #2 He gets tested by NBA veterans (to whatever degree) in games and practices. He's hearing what they talk and seeing what they do. #3 HE DEVELOPS THE CONFIDENCE THAT HE BELONGS AT THE NEXT LEVEL and works even harder to make that happen. #4 He gets some time away from being immersed in 100% PURDUE prior to starting a long last sr season with HUGE expectations of him and the team by fans and pundits. #5 I expect he's picked up a trick or two on dealing with some of the physical play he sees. NBA big men know a lot of tricks, especially the borderline talents that still manage to have long careers.
Fresh mind and body coming into our season.
I like it.

Last edited:
One thing he has learned. He can see what playing in the NBA will be like. And why his draft stock was so low. He now knows what parts of his game he needs to improve. We now realize his limited playing time was not due to any injury. His game and talents just do not lend themselves to what pro coaches are looking for. I am led to wonder if he wasn’t the ncaa player of the year if the team would have invited him to play. He may decide to stay in college as long as he possibly can. The NIL money will probably be greater than his pro offers!

It will be a border war for the bronze - Canada v. United States, as the U.S. was stunned in a loss to Germany, 113-111.

3b80a33d-d204-4ec2-9de3-fc0b28823da7_text.gif
The Pacers Daniel Theis scored 21pts. I thought he was the best center on the Pacers last year in his limited minutes. Too small and too old but just does all those "center things" (being a presence, being physical, ect) that Myles Turner struggles with. Happy to see him on top.

One thing he has learned. He can see what playing in the NBA will be like. And why his draft stock was so low. He now knows what parts of his game he needs to improve. We now realize his limited playing time was not due to any injury. His game and talents just do not lend themselves to what pro coaches are looking for. I am led to wonder if he wasn’t the ncaa player of the year if the team would have invited him to play. He may decide to stay in college as long as he possibly can. The NIL money will probably be greater than his pro offers!
I think you’re under selling Zach. Yes, part of it is skill set, but this is a college kid playing or team full of pros. There are plenty of guys coming off of successful rookie seasons in the NBA who wouldn’t be getting playing time on this team.

Not sure that being the NCAA player of the year had much to do with him making a team. I believe he was the last guy cut from the men’s team two summers ago and then went on to star for the junior team, where he was named to the ball tournament team along with Ivey, the kid from Gonzaga and the kid from France, who are all top six draft picks. He’s a much better player now than he was then.

I think you’re under selling Zach. Yes, part of it is skill set, but this is a college kid playing or team full of pros. There are plenty of guys coming off of successful rookie seasons in the NBA who wouldn’t be getting playing time on this team.

Not sure that being the NCAA player of the year had much to do with him making a team. I believe he was the last guy cut from the men’s team two summers ago and then went on to star for the junior team, where he was named to the ball tournament team along with Ivey, the kid from Gonzaga and the kid from France, who are all top six draft picks. He’s a much better player now than he was then.
I’m excited to see how he has progressed this year. He always makes huge leaps from year to year. So how much longer til Bball season?

• Love
Reactions: northside100
I am glad Zach got to be on the Canadian national team and get a bronze medal. That being said, once games started in the tournament I believe his time would’ve been better spent with Purdue. He got very minimal playing experience and I seriously doubt that there was a lot of intense practice times on the Canadian team between games. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope that I am. Boiler up!

To me it was obvious Zach didn’t fit into the schemes designed by the Canadian coach. Even on some of their bigger victories he didn’t play very much. Yes he did play for the Canadian team previously. This leads me to believe and speculate he was added to the team because of his name recognition. Much like Laetner was added to dream team.

To me it was obvious Zach didn’t fit into the schemes designed by the Canadian coach. Even on some of their bigger victories he didn’t play very much. Yes he did play for the Canadian team previously. This leads me to believe and speculate he was added to the team because of his name recognition. Much like Laetner was added to dream team.
You could be right in that it may have been difficult for the new coach to cut him, particularly as Canada Basketball sees him as a big part of their future. I don’t think the roster decisions on these teams are always solely with the coach.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT