ADVERTISEMENT

You've gotta love AOC.

Don't get jealous. We all know that as a young engineer in his early 20's and you being on here every weekend night trolling is because you don't have any other friends to talk to. It's a said existence.
get jealous of a band nerd male like you who has been neutered by the democrat party scared of hanging out with people before they got vaccinated

ha ha ha

its a said existence like you say

get jealous of a band nerd male like you who has been neutered by the democrat party scared of hanging out with people before they got vaccinated

ha ha ha

its a said existence like you say
Who hurt you so bad that you are so unlikeable? I have a feeling GE is regretting their hire. How is "working" for the Chinese?

You would think if Right Wingers were so concerned about lying they'd start by going after everyone in this thread bashing AOC for a partial quote to make her seem simple when the entirety of the quote is a reasonable argument.
By @BoilerMadness making the post you know he's dishonest as well unless he's just reading the right wing trash that promotes this type of BS and regurgitating it not knowing it's a misrepresentation with the intent of malice.

The whole quote for those interested:

"If we want to reduce violent crime, if we want to reduce the number of people in our jails, the answer is to stop building more of them," Ocasio-Cortez said. "The answer is to make sure that we actually build more hospitals, we pay organizers, we get people mental health care and overall health care, employment, etc. It’s to support communities, not throw them away."

The first entries on the news story from a quick google search of the partial quote all seem to be right wing publications that are running the story to make a false representation. Consider this when you eat that BS up each day.
gqYBcY7.png
What is your issue? I watched the speech and I was incredulous by the ignorance of her comment, which is why I posted it. Had she NOT said, "If we want to reduce violent crime, if we want to reduce the number of people in our jails, the answer is to stop building more of them,", I wouldn't have posted it. Even though she qualified her statement with her following comments, which I largely agreed with, it doesn't make the highlighted quote any less stupid.

If you're not smart enough to understand that, then i can't help you.

That's not remotely what happened. How did you get that story so twisted, you shouldn't listen to bad actors on the right that lie like they breathe.
You idiot. The video about Joe bragging about withholding funds from Ukraine, unless the fired the prosecutor was all over the internet and TV. Joe said, "I told him I'd be leaving in 6 hrs and if the prosecutor wasn't fired he wouldn't get the money and son of a bitch, they fired the prosecutor."

That's straight from Biden's mouth or didn't CNN show that video?

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG
You idiot. The video about Joe bragging about withholding funds from Ukraine, unless the fired the prosecutor was all over the internet and TV. Joe said, "I told him I'd be leaving in 6 hrs and if the prosecutor wasn't fired he wouldn't get the money and son of a bitch, they fired the prosecutor."

I'm not even a little surprised that your dumb ass doesn't know the actual story.

What is your issue? I watched the speech and I was incredulous by the ignorance of her comment, which is why I posted it. Had she NOT said, "If we want to reduce violent crime, if we want to reduce the number of people in our jails, the answer is to stop building more of them,", I wouldn't have posted it. Even though she qualified her statement with her following comments, which I largely agreed with, it doesn't make the highlighted quote any less stupid.

"She qualified her statement with the following comments". In other words, made the statement's total point which was nothing close to what you are trying to make her sound like she is saying. Find real things to tear your hated politicians down. This make you looks worse than anything AOC could have said.

Death rate is problematic too. Someone might die as an indirect result of Covid, perhaps because the hospital is overwhelmed. The reason we needed to lock down is precisely to avoid the total collapse of the healthcare system. And cases are more important than deaths because of the issue with long haulers. The long-term effect of Covid is still not fully known, and researchers estimated about 10% of Covid patients may become a long hauler.

As for early testing less reliable, perhaps. But study shows that in terms of positive tests and cases per capita, red states did well early on last spring, but since early summer 2020, that trend has reversed. Is that because more accurate testing becoming available? I don't know.

I don't disagree with what you said. The coastal states (mostly blue) got hit hard first. At that time, no one had a clue what we should do, and everyone scrambling. Mistakes were made. But since early summer, the trend has reversed, with blue states doing better in terms of positive tests, cases, and yes, even death rate. That's what the AJPM study showed.
Part of the trend reversal was due to Blue state Governors locking down their states and a lot of people fleeing NY, NJ, MI, IL, CA, etc. and going to FL, GA, TX, AZ, etc. A lot of snowbirds came to FL, which bumped up our caseloads. FL has the oldest population in the country, yet we didn't have nearly the death rate NY had, because DeSantis made the effort to protect the elderly, unlike Cuomo.

Early tests showed a lot of false positives, which probably skewed the number of reported cases in the Blue states up early. Later tests were a lot more accurate.

So are you OK with newspaper reporting Trump "very fine people on both sides" remark on Charlottesville?

Or you think the press needs to emphasize on his qualifying remark, which is that a group of people were there to protest the taking down of a very important statue, and they are whom he was referring to as "fine people"?

Here are his exact words:

"Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."

If you agree that the qualifying words are important, then I think it'll be misleading if you intentionally leave out AOC's qualifying remarks. A lot of sentences will sound really odd if we leave out the qualifying remarks.

Lastly, increasingly states are letting private companies run the prisons, but the companies are profit-maximizing. That creates a perverse incentive and one privately-run prison has actually sued the state government for $10M for not meeting the guaranteed minimum 97% capacity. (AZ paid $3M)

I think that's part of the reason why some are calling for building fewer prisons, because governments have an incentive to fill them up to meet minimum guarantee.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I said "on the other end of the spectrum" when I brought up the Intercept article. I intentionally use them to contrast what was said about blue state governors rejecting Trump's aid.

As for Politifact, I agree it is left-center, but its factual reporting accuracy is high. So the question is not really about bias, but whether states in fact had to bid against each other to buy PPEs. Are you saying that it didn't happen and no states were competing to get those supplies?

Context matters here. CNN & the MSM made a big deal out of Trump telling the Governors that they should try to get the PPE on their own. What they failed to say was that Trump told them that they could probably get it quicker, if they got it on their own, since the Federal Bureaucracy takes longer to get things done. He then reassured the Governors that if they had problems getting the PPE, that he would get them what they needed and he did.

Part of the trend reversal was due to Blue state Governors locking down their states and a lot of people fleeing NY, NJ, MI, IL, CA, etc. and going to FL, GA, TX, AZ, etc. A lot of snowbirds came to FL, which bumped up our caseloads. FL has the oldest population in the country, yet we didn't have nearly the death rate NY had, because DeSantis made the effort to protect the elderly, unlike Cuomo.

Early tests showed a lot of false positives, which probably skewed the number of reported cases in the Blue states up early. Later tests were a lot more accurate.

Sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. People who are fleeing NY, NJ, CA should be the wealthy and healthy, not the poor and sick, right? The latter can't afford or has no incentive to move. So they shouldn't be enough to move the needle and reverse the trend where blue states had poorer case rate, positive test rate and death rate early on, but all those changed starting early summer. That explanation isn't logical at all.

Also, when you look at the moving data, outbound NY in 2020 is actually the least in 10 years. I think the mass exodus is overblown. The real issue is that inbound NY is also lowest in 2020, but these are hardly enough to actually reverse a trend.

"She qualified her statement with the following comments". In other words, made the statement's total point which was nothing close to what you are trying to make her sound like she is saying. Find real things to tear your hated politicians down. This make you looks worse than anything AOC could have said.
First, I don't hate her. She annoys me and I think she's deluded, but I can't really think that there is anyone I really hate.

You're going to make yourself dizzy trying to spin her comments, but she said what she said and it was STUPID, no matter how many qualifiers she tries to put on it.

First, I don't hate her. She annoys me and I think she's deluded, but I can't really think that there is anyone I really hate.

You're going to make yourself dizzy trying to spin her comments, but she said what she said and it was STUPID, no matter how many qualifiers she tries to put on it.
Me trying to spin her comments? Now that's funny. You cut a quote out of context but I'm somehow spinning her comments?

It's like I'm talking to a toddler.

Reactions: indy35
Context matters here. CNN & the MSM made a big deal out of Trump telling the Governors that they should try to get the PPE on their own. What they failed to say was that Trump told them that they could probably get it quicker, if they got it on their own, since the Federal Bureaucracy takes longer to get things done. He then reassured the Governors that if they had problems getting the PPE, that he would get them what they needed and he did.

I am not sure if it's necessarily true that the Federal government will take longer. At the minimum, Federal Government could and should coordinate the states so that they won't be bidding over each other. Federal government also has the size advantage to get their way that states can't.

Furthermore, it should be the Federal Government to stockpile on PPE and medical supplies. George W. Bush forced his administration to double down on pandemic preparation, replenishing the stockpile and creating an early warning system. But when it came to Trump, the HHS requested $2 billion to replenish the stockpile in February 2020, but was rebuffed by the Office of Management and Budget, and ultimately trimmed Azar's request down to $500 million when it was brought to Congress. That was February 2020 when the sh!t was already happening in Asia and Europe.

Yes, Biden did say that.

However, he was carrying out US policy (the prosecutor Shokin failed to indict any major figures in the former pro-Russian regime of Viktor Yanukovych, who fled to Russia during the Revolution), and US is not alone in pressuring Ukraine to fire Shokin (e.g. IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde also threatened to withhold $40B unless Ukraine took substantial new effort to fight corruption).

Reactions: indy35
So are you OK with newspaper reporting Trump "very fine people on both sides" remark on Charlottesville?

Or you think the press needs to emphasize on his qualifying remark, which is that a group of people were there to protest the taking down of a very important statue, and they are whom he was referring to as "fine people"?

Here are his exact words:

"Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."

If you agree that the qualifying words are important, then I think it'll be misleading if you intentionally leave out AOC's qualifying remarks. A lot of sentences will sound really odd if we leave out the qualifying remarks.

Lastly, increasingly states are letting private companies run the prisons, but the companies are profit-maximizing. That creates a perverse incentive and one privately-run prison has actually sued the state government for $10M for not meeting the guaranteed minimum 97% capacity. (AZ paid $3M)

I think that's part of the reason why some are calling for building fewer prisons, because governments have an incentive to fill them up to meet minimum guarantee.
In virtually every situation, where you have two opposing groups together, you'll have a small radical element on each side and a larger number of more passive bystanders on both sides (the good people). I saw the speech, so I understood the context and the media went way out on a limb trying to make that innocuous comment sound as racist as possible.

A big reason we're having an upsurge in violent crime is that George Soros put millions of dollars into the campaigns for very Liberal District Attorneys around the country, who have established a revolving door for violent criminals. We're getting more and more cases, where people that are on bail for one violent crime are getting arrested for one or more subsequent crimes. I believe there was a situation in NYC, where a young man was on bail for three separate assaults and he finally got arrested for murder.

The move to defund the police is a bit idiotic, as well.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. People who are fleeing NY, NJ, CA should be the wealthy and healthy, not the poor and sick, right? The latter can't afford or has no incentive to move. So they shouldn't be enough to move the needle and reverse the trend where blue states had poorer case rate, positive test rate and death rate early on, but all those changed starting early summer. That explanation isn't logical at all.

Also, when you look at the moving data, outbound NY in 2020 is actually the least in 10 years. I think the mass exodus is overblown. The real issue is that inbound NY is also lowest in 2020, but these are hardly enough to actually reverse a trend.

Where do you get the impression that only the poor get sick? Why wouldn't the wealthy get sick? You have a real elitist attitude.

Perhaps people saw all the positive cases in NY & NJ and decided to go to their Winter house in FL to get away from the virus. A percentage of those people were probably CV-19 positive and may have brought the bug with them from NY. Since Miami was a CV-19 hot spot in FL, it makes sense to me.

My son & granddaughter (Orlando) both had Covid. He was asymptomatic and she had sinus congestion, mild headaches and lost taste for a couple weeks. I suspect people with similar mild symptoms were probably travelling, without thinking they were sick.

We've been reportedly gaining about 1000 people/day in FL for the last year. They have to be coming from somewhere and I know Miami is NYC South and I have a few new neighbors in my subdivision from NY.

Houses are selling like hotcakes here. Two friends sold their houses in my subdivision. One was on the market for 2 days and the other for 4 hrs. They both had multiple offers and the ended up selling for $25k - $30K above list. I could make a killing, if I wanted to sell my house, but I really don't want to move.

In virtually every situation, where you have two opposing groups together, you'll have a small radical element on each side and a larger number of more passive bystanders on both sides (the good people). I saw the speech, so I understood the context and the media went way out on a limb trying to make that innocuous comment sound as racist as possible.

You saw Trump's speech, so you understand the context. Many of us didn't see the AOC's speech, so you leaving out the qualifying part of her speech is misleading, precisely what you were accusing MSM doing with Trump's speech.

A big reason we're having an upsurge in violent crime is that George Soros put millions of dollars into the campaigns for very Liberal District Attorneys around the country, who have established a revolving door for violent criminals. We're getting more and more cases, where people that are on bail for one violent crime are getting arrested for one or more subsequent crimes. I believe there was a situation in NYC, where a young man was on bail for three separate assaults and he finally got arrested for murder.

Would you mind providing a link so I can learn more about what you are talking about? From what I gather, you are saying those on the left are campaigning for liberal DAs to get bail to violent criminals. Meanwhile, I've also heard from those on the left citing how the bail system is screwing poor folks who couldn't afford bail. They say many cannot afford bail and so they plead guilty to crimes that they don't commit. Why? Because if they don't, they will still be jailed, which will ruin their lives as they will likely lose their jobs.

I am guessing if people are willing to sit down and listen to each other's concerns, we can reach common ground and understanding. Demonizing the other side likely won't help finding solution.

The move to defund the police is a bit idiotic, as well.

First and foremost, let me be clear that I am absolutely against defunding police.

However, in certain cases, it is not as idiotic as it may sound. I've lived in Hong Kong for years and I still follow their news. Under China's pressure, the police there has become the tool of their government to oppress the people. They fired tear gas to peaceful protesters, even inside subway stations. They arrested people for "gathering" (the city limited at most 4 people to gather in the name of maintaining social distancing for the pandemic), even though sometimes there were only one or two people. (The cops will just pull two groups of two people together and then charged them for violation) You can file a complain to the police, but among 2000+ complaints, only 2 (!) were successful. So at some point, people just feel that police is overstepping their authority, and there is nothing they can do to control their unbounded power, and hence the call for defunding the police.

Obviously, just because it might make sense in HK doesn't mean it is in the US, and even if it does, probably it still doesn't make sense to completely get rid of the police. However, suffice to say that many are fed up with police brutality and believe that police has been overstepping their authority, and that a reform is VERY much needed.

For example, it is estimated that 10% of the no-knock warrants went to the wrong address,

90% of American towns with a population of 50,000 or more have fully militarized SWAT teams. And to justify their existence, we’re using SWAT more than ever, from 3k strikes a year in 1980 to as many as 80k in 2015:

Amazon product ASIN 1610394577
But 4 out of 10 SWAT raids turn up zero contraband whatsoever

and there's a sick, twisted prank called swatting to falsely call SWAT teams on people to raid their house,

That is why some feel we are spending the money wrong. Instead of building up the arsenal for cops, perhaps the money should be used to support communities like building more hospitals, pay organizers, get people mental health care and overall health care, employment, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting. One side of people think blue state governors refused the aid from Trump and that's why they suffered.

On the other end of the spectrum, others think blue state governors had to beg and suck up to Trump in order to get medical supplies.

While the truth is probably somewhere in between, I do think the federal government can and should do a better job coordinating. Early in the pandemic, states have to bid against each other to get the medical supplies. That is inefficient.

I did. What's the problem?

That was the whole point of the study, whether political affiliation of state leaders may contribute to policies affecting the spread of the disease. What's your complaint?
Trump sent the Hospitals and aid to NY before Cuomo even knew there was a Covid problem.

The problem is that the way the study was statistically calculated, according to the link, my little County of 15,000 has had 47 deaths this year. All 47 were contributed to Covid.
SOOO my county has a 1% death rate contributed to Covid.
Statistically combine by Counties 1% rate with a .001% from another County, forget the huge population difference and you only add the two %'s together and divide by 2 you get a messed up number.
Figure don't lie but liers figure.
Maybe a bad example but you should get the point.

An article that compares Republican and Democratic Governors and their handling of an issue and than states the issue shouldn't be handled based on politics---Is Political in itself.

Where do you get the impression that only the poor get sick? Why wouldn't the wealthy get sick? You have a real elitist attitude.

I am afraid you misunderstood. I didn't say only poor get sick and wealthy will be healthy. I am saying the people who could actually afford to move are likely wealthy and healthy. If they are poor, they can't afford to go from NY to FL; if they are sick already, there is no point in moving.

Perhaps people saw all the positive cases in NY & NJ and decided to go to their Winter house in FL to get away from the virus. A percentage of those people were probably CV-19 positive and may have brought the bug with them from NY. Since Miami was a CV-19 hot spot in FL, it makes sense to me.

The NY people who have Winter House in FL is likely to be the healthy ones. I live in NYC, and I follow closely the positivity rate. During the pandemic, the rich neighborhood in Manhattan has the lowest positivity rate (say <1%) while the poor neighborhood in Brooklyn, Queens or Bronx can be more than 10%. Those who can afford a winter house in FL are likely the Manhattan people.

I suspect people with similar mild symptoms were probably travelling, without thinking they were sick. We've been reportedly gaining about 1000 people/day in FL for the last year. They have to be coming from somewhere and I know Miami is NYC South and I have a few new neighbors in my subdivision from NY.

Sure that could happen, but the magnitude is still not enough to explain the complete reversal in case rate, death rate, and positive test rate. You are talking about 1k people/day moving into FL. Assuming that figure is correct, it still pales in comparison to the 22M people living there. Unless all of those people are sick and carrying the disease, but again, it should be the reverse - those who can afford a winter house in FL is likely the healthy ones.

Houses are selling like hotcakes here. Two friends sold their houses in my subdivision. One was on the market for 2 days and the other for 4 hrs. They both had multiple offers and the ended up selling for $25k - $30K above list. I could make a killing, if I wanted to sell my house, but I really don't want to move.

Well, so you owe Cuomo a thank you?

Trump sent the Hospitals and aid to NY before Cuomo even knew there was a Covid problem.

That is not true according to the timeline:

The problem is that the way the study was statistically calculated, according to the link, my little County of 15,000 has had 47 deaths this year. All 47 were contributed to Covid.
SOOO my county has a 1% death rate contributed to Covid.
Statistically combine by Counties 1% rate with a .001% from another County, forget the huge population difference and you only add the two %'s together and divide by 2 you get a messed up number.
Figure don't lie but liers figure.
Maybe a bad example but you should get the point.

Sorry, I fail to follow your point. I don't get how it is combining a county with 1% rate with a 0.001% rate from another county. Which section / paragraph do you draw that conclusion from?

An article that compares Republican and Democratic Governors and their handling of an issue and than states the issue shouldn't be handled based on politics---Is Political in itself.

Well, by that definition, everything is political then. We all want to figure out how to handle the pandemic, and different country has their different way, from Draconian like China, to laissez-faire like Sweden, and everything in between. When we study how each country handle the pandemic, it is political in itself - some countries prioritize personal liberty while other countries prioritize public safety. Even if the study is try to figure out from a pure science perspective which way is the most appropriate, you can still bitch about it being political.

Will you be bitching about it being political if it shows the red states are doing very well compared to the blue states, and that we should be modelling our response after the red states?

Oh for the love of Mike, this has been hashed out over and over and you still refuse to look at anything but that statement? No context, no circumstances, no facts. Come on man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT