ADVERTISEMENT

Your thoughts on the Ill game play?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Will Purdue come out slow and measured using a fair amount of run to control the game?

Or will they come out quick tempo setting the pace by flinging it all around?

I would like to see the up tempo approach to jump start the offense.

Run

It’s interesting you ask this question against Illinois. Memories from last years game are very vivid and helps me remember that Purdue will be playing 6 more outdoor games after this one in November and December in potential adverse weather conditions like the Illinois game last year, including games @Wisconsin, @Minnesota and @Rutgers which is one of the negative things from the schedule (plus we lost our home game to Wisconsin).

At Rutgers on 11/28 concerns me, hopefully it’s not a 7 TO Maryland repeat in the cold and snow. The Patriots-Raiders playoff game BS “forward pass not a fumble” along with many weather related Giants/ Jets/ Bills/ Patriots/ Steelers games come to mind and the many Peyton Colts disappointments vs the Patriots in Foxborough. I think it could be a giant trap game with the way Rutgers/Schiano plays.

I think our passing offense is more than confident, but I personally would like to continue to build confidence in our run game, for HC, OL, RB and for ball control, time of possession, defense rest, etc.

I was pleased to see several things last week, such as picking up short yardage via run, only two negative running plays, running the ball 20+ times. I’d love to see when the QB is struggling a bit or defense is playing pass, three handoff’s in a row produce a first down(s) and force the defense to play less pass defense.

I’d also continue to like to see more run call balance through the game (not just4Q), here’s some info from Iowa game:
- by halftime, Horvath ran 7 times for 36 yards. 8/35 plays were run (~23%)
- by end of 3Q, 12/49 plays were run. (~25%)
- In 4Q, Horvath ran 10 times for 46 yards.
- Overall game 22/74 plays were run (~30%) (not counting kneel downs)

I am concerned with Cam Craig‘s injury and potential run game impacts. Cam started the last two games where we have had run game success.

The Purdue passing attack may seem really good from a pure statistical perspective, yardage, touchdowns, etc, but really it’s a bit concerning to me. I like the scheme and the players but the execution has to be improved.

I want to see a more efficient QB rating, less turnovers, higher yards per pass, a couple more explosive/stretching the field plays where QB throwing it 20+ years from LOS, no more holding the ball way too long and taking a 15 yard sack instead of running or throwing it away, forcing the ball into double coverage, spreading the ball around (21 targets to Bell when Horvath and others were repeatedly wide open baffles me) etc.

Those are the offensive knocks I’ve seen most from critics, yes we have a 300+ yard passer, 100+ yard receivers, but we threw it 50 times for <6 yards/pass with multiple picks.

I believe an enhanced run game makes us really dangerous as a team on offense and defense.

If we balance the time of possession more evenly (IE we won the time of possession against Iowa) then as we get leads, the defense can be more rested and aggressive against opposing offenses who may be forced to be more one dimensional and I think we will see more turnovers, better defense, lower scores and more wins, a la 2017.

Last edited:
Run

It’s interesting you ask this question against Illinois. Memories from last years game are very vivid and helps me remember that Purdue will be playing 6 more outdoor games after this one in November and December in potential adverse weather conditions like the Illinois game last year, including games @Wisconsin, @Minnesota and @Rutgers which is one of the negative things from the schedule (plus we lost our home game to Wisconsin).

At Rutgers on 11/28 concerns me, hopefully it’s not a 7 TO Maryland repeat in the cold and snow. The Patriots-Raiders playoff game BS “forward pass not a fumble” along with many weather related Giants/ Jets/ Bills/ Patriots/ Steelers games come to mind and the many Peyton Colts disappointments vs the Patriots in Foxborough. I think it could be a giant trap game with the way Rutgers/Schiano plays.

I think our passing offense is more than confident, but I personally would like to continue to build confidence in our run game, for HC, OL, RB and for ball control, time of possession, defense rest, etc.

I was pleased to see several things last week, such as picking up short yardage via run, only two negative running plays, running the ball 20+ times. I’d love to see when the QB is struggling a bit or defense is playing pass, three handoff’s in a row produce a first down(s) and force the defense to play less pass defense.

I’d also continue to like to see more run call balance through the game (not just4Q), here’s some info from Iowa game:
- by halftime, Horvath ran 7 times for 36 yards. 8/35 plays were run (~23%)
- by end of 3Q, 12/49 plays were run. (~25%)
- In 4Q, Horvath ran 10 times for 46 yards.
- Overall game 22/74 plays were run (~30%) (not counting kneel downs)

I am concerned with Cam Craig‘s injury and potential run game impacts. Cam started the last two games where we have had run game success.

The Purdue passing attack may seem really good from a pure statistical perspective, yardage, touchdowns, etc, but really it’s a bit concerning to me. I like the scheme and the players but the execution has to be improved.

I want to see a more efficient QB rating, less turnovers, higher yards per pass, a couple more explosive/stretching the field plays where QB throwing it 20+ years from LOS, no more holding the ball way too long and taking a 15 yard sack instead of running or throwing it away, forcing the ball into double coverage, spreading the ball around (21 targets to Bell when Horvath and others were repeatedly wide open baffles me) etc.

Those are the offensive knocks I’ve seen most from critics, yes we have a 300+ yard passer, 100+ yard receivers, but we threw it 50 times for <6 yards/pass with multiple picks.

I believe an enhanced run game makes us really dangerous as a team on offense and defense.

If we balance the time of possession more evenly (IE we won the time of possession against Iowa) then as we get leads, the defense can be more rested and aggressive against opposing offenses who may be forced to be more one dimensional and I think we will see more turnovers, better defense, lower scores and more wins, a la 2017.

Playing at Rutgers this year really concerns me too, because we play them at home. Hope our players don’t board the flight to Newark.....

I imagine that Illinois' offense will wake up in week 2 kind of like Maryland did week to week so we need make sure that we finish drives with touchdowns and don't give them big plays

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Playing at Rutgers this year really concerns me too, because we play them at home. Hope our players don’t board the flight to Newark.....

Haha! that’s what happens when you can’t sleep on game day. Thanks. Definitely less worried about the Rutgers game played in WL.

• Haha
Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT