ADVERTISEMENT

You can fair catch an onside kick! Mind blown.

So what prevents a receiving player from doing that on every onside kick?

Great play. Bad article.

I’m almost 100% certain a fair catch signal only works if it’s before the ball hits the ground. Most onside attempts use a bounce method off the tee so it wouldn’t apply very often.

But super heads up play by the kid on this one because they did the attempt in the air.

Great play. Bad article.

I’m almost 100% certain a fair catch signal only works if it’s before the ball hits the ground. Most onside attempts use a bounce method off the tee so it wouldn’t apply very often.

But super heads up play by the kid on this one because they did the attempt in the air.
Yes they do state the rule and seemed to gloss over that technicality.

I believe I saw this on a Bears game 100 years ago. After the free catch, the Bears elected to try a field goal which then won or iced the game. The field goal was a free kick and may have been a punt. Any other old farts remember this event?

Reactions: mryankee2397
With all the talk of reducing head on collisions in the kicking game, I am surprised they haven’t changed the rules to make the ball live only after it is touched by the receiving team, just like on punts. Of course that would all but eliminate the onside kick from the game.

With all the talk of reducing head on collisions in the kicking game, I am surprised they haven’t changed the rules to make the ball live only after it is touched by the receiving team, just like on punts. Of course that would all but eliminate the onside kick from the game.
I don’t think they have the balls to make that kind of change to the game that would make comebacks nigh impossible. And honestly, inside attempts are probably less of a risk for head trauma than any play other than FGs.

But let’s get creative. “If a team wishes to retain possession of the ball after a score, they must send a defensive player who has played more than 15 defensive plays in to attempt an extra point. If the try is successful, they regain possession at the 50, if they are unsuccessful, the other team takes possession at the spot of the kick.”

I believe I saw this on a Bears game 100 years ago. After the free catch, the Bears elected to try a field goal which then won or iced the game. The field goal was a free kick and may have been a punt. Any other old farts remember this event?

I missed the Bears game you reference, but I saw it in a divisional playoff game between Minnesota and San Francisco back in the '80s. After a fair catch (this was a punt) - free kick. Shortly before the half it made sense, and Walsh elected it.....there was all this build up with Madden and Summerall discussing.....then Cofer (who had a big range but sometimes inaccurate) kicked an absolute dud.

The players were also a little confused.......

One of the many tings that made Summerall and Madden such a great tandem are little things like this - they were actually discussing the rule and anticipating Walsh might strategize for it......and lo and behold......

Last edited:
I don’t think they have the balls to make that kind of change to the game that would make comebacks nigh impossible. And honestly, inside attempts are probably less of a risk for head trauma than any play other than FGs.

But let’s get creative. “If a team wishes to retain possession of the ball after a score, they must send a defensive player who has played more than 15 defensive plays in to attempt an extra point. If the try is successful, they regain possession at the 50, if they are unsuccessful, the other team takes possession at the spot of the kick.”
That’s great, love the creativity.
In the end it is revealing how ‘player safety’ rule changes generally coincide with improving the television product.

don't give them any more ideas how to soften the game

I remember the Packers doing it and Hornung converted the kick on the next play. Not total recall but it might have been a drop kick.

I remember the Packers doing it and Hornung converted the kick on the next play. Not total recall but it might have been a drop kick.
Neat you have the mucky duck as your picture. Not sure if we’ll ever be able to see another sunset there, I go once a year and was supposed to be there later this week.

Neat you have the mucky duck as your picture. Not sure if we’ll ever be able to see another sunset there, I go once a year and was supposed to be there later this week.
I heard it’s still standing, not sure how you would get to it though.

I heard it’s still standing, not sure how you would get to it though.
Bridge is expected to be temporarily repaired within about a week and roads are all clear. Pretty remarkable. Probably can’t eat or drink anytime soon but still see the sunset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT