ADVERTISEMENT

Year 5

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Who couldn’t play? How many starters out of 22? I count 1.. in a year where they were waiting on Kyle Orton. If I recall, a bunch of QBs had left toward the end of brees’ career and that put us behind the eight ball. Also, hance was supposed to be really good. Highly recruited .. he just didn’t have it.

QB Brandon Hance
Kyle Orton
RB Montrell Lowe
Joey Harris
WR John Standeford
WR Taylor Stubblefield
WR Seth Morales
TE Tim Stratton
LT Pete Lougheed
LG Sean Rufolo
C Gene Mruczkowski
RG Rob Turner
RT Kelly butler

DE Shaun Phillips
DT Craig Terrill
DT Matt Mitrione
DE Akin Ayodele
LB Landon Johnson
LB Joe Odom
LB Gilbert Gardner
CB Ashante Woodyard
S Stuart schweigert
S Ralph Turner
CB Antwaun Rogers

Lots of redshirt freshman on that list. They weren’t as good that year as you think they were

Who couldn’t play? How many starters out of 22? I count 1.. in a year where they were waiting on Kyle Orton. If I recall, a bunch of QBs had left toward the end of brees’ career and that put us behind the eight ball. Also, hance was supposed to be really good. Highly recruited .. he just didn’t have it.

QB Brandon Hance
Kyle Orton
RB Montrell Lowe
Joey Harris
WR John Standeford
WR Taylor Stubblefield
WR Seth Morales
TE Tim Stratton
LT Pete Lougheed
LG Sean Rufolo
C Gene Mruczkowski
RG Rob Turner
RT Kelly butler

DE Shaun Phillips
DT Craig Terrill
DT Matt Mitrione
DE Akin Ayodele
LB Landon Johnson
LB Joe Odom
LB Gilbert Gardner
CB Ashante Woodyard
S Stuart schweigert
S Ralph Turner
CB Antwaun Rogers
If this years team just had that defense.

This wasn't a normal 5 year period in college football because of Covid, so past standards don't necessarily apply. It doesn't help that the head coach was also sick from this.

My only point was that vs his competition he was fine at every position by year 5..
Not really. In hind sight yeah but a lot of those players were unproven, especially some in the trenches.

also, the qb situation was meh. Orton didn’t show out until 2003

None of those guys listed were recruited by Coletto.It was Tillers fifth year in 2001 and all of Colettos recruits were gone by then.
That’s his point. He thinks they were proven in their first and 2nd yeat

Not really. In hind sight yeah but a lot of those players were unproven, especially some in the trenches.

2003 was the best defense that Tiller ever had. It was probably one of the best in Purdue's modern era.

Reactions: purduepat1969
2005 should have been Tiller's best defense. It had the most NFL talent of all his teams, but similar to the offense, that 2005 team was trouble from the start of training camp, verbal fight with Tiller and Pollard, team could not play together, Kirsch was more interested in partying, etc.

Still remember the Orlando paper had us preseason #1 in the entire country!

I acknowledge that was the one position that wasn’t good. You don’t think that even some of our good players will spend the year proving themselves? With more than one position that just ain’t good like hance wasn’t good?

if we end up relying on Sullivan or fakasiieki as every down starters that just an exploitable position

now that’s fine if you acknowledge it after the fact.. what I feel like some will do (not you) is get the violin out and cry a sad song of Darrell hazell… and start talking about 2024

I acknowledge that was the one position that wasn’t good. You don’t think that even some of our good players will spend the year proving themselves? With more than one position that just ain’t good like hance wasn’t good?

if we end up relying on Sullivan or fakasiieki as every down starters that just an exploitable position

now that’s fine if you acknowledge it after the fact.. what I feel like some will do (not you) is get the violin out and cry a sad song of Darrell hazell… and start talking about 2024
We shouldn't even be discussing how bad the Darrell Hazell era was anymore. All of those players are gone. All of those coaches are gone. Purdue is no longer rebuilding from the Hazell era. It's now fully the Brohm era and everything from this point forward is on him.

We shouldn't even be discussing how bad the Darrell Hazell era was anymore. All of those players are gone. All of those coaches are gone. Purdue is no longer rebuilding from the Hazell era. It's now fully the Brohm era and everything from this point forward is on him.
Oh I know, but don’t kid yourself. If we are relying on fakasiieki as an every down linebacker or heavy on Jack Sullivan or deen and Johnson don’t show progress or neither O’Connell nor Plummer has taken that next step.. you will start to see two things…

1) many people saying nothing right now or predicting winning records will begin to make my thoughts look very positive. Mac talent.. the world is falling apart.. Purdue can and will never be good again.

2) “oh well we always knew this was a 19 year rebuild anyway. Come back in 2036”

Oh I know, but don’t kid yourself. If we are relying on fakasiieki as an every down linebacker or heavy on Jack Sullivan or deen and Johnson don’t show progress or neither O’Connell nor Plummer has taken that next step.. you will start to see two things…

1) many people saying nothing right now or predicting winning records will begin to make my thoughts look very positive. Mac talent.. the world is falling apart.. Purdue can and will never be good again.

2) “oh well we always knew this was a 19 year rebuild anyway. Come back in 2036”
Sullivan wasn't bad last year. He didn't make splash plays, but he wasn't a liability.

Sullivan wasn't bad last year. He didn't make splash plays, but he wasn't a liability.
He was exploitable at the big ten level. At DT he’s two light and unexplosive to break through. At DE the QB will have all day.

really tough player, would be awesome to see someone with his build move to DT… kinda a much tougher Reviere; similar build.

much like B. Thienemann, Ben holt etc I have no doubt he is doing his best .. and to be fair he’s closer to big ten level

He was exploitable at the big ten level. At DT he’s two light and unexplosive to break through. At DE the QB will have all day.

really tough player, would be awesome to see someone with his build move to DT… kinda a much tougher Reviere; similar build.

much like B. Thienemann, Ben holt etc I have no doubt he is doing his best .. and to be fair he’s closer to big ten level
That's exactly what I said he was at DE. He's good enough to be a backup and hold his own, but he has growth to do.

That's exactly what I said he was at DE. He's good enough to be a backup and hold his own, but he has growth to do.
A backup you have to rely on? No. Because when he’s in there there just isn’t any pressure on the QB. No because he’s not strong enough. The burst isn’t there. He’s a DT/DE tweener who would probably be awesome at OT

A backup you have to rely on? No. Because when he’s in there there just isn’t any pressure on the QB. No because he’s not strong enough. The burst isn’t there. He’s a DT/DE tweener who would probably be awesome at OT
You hope he doesn't have to be relied on. Hence, backup.

You hope he doesn't have to be relied on. Hence, backup.
No.. that’s just it.. in a position group with two starters.. you probably need one guy who can come in and be OKAY in the 2021 big ten .. does he need to be karlaftis god no, but at least some pressure.

No.. that’s just it.. in a position group with two starters.. you probably need one guy who can come in and be OKAY in the 2021 big ten .. does he need to be karlaftis god no, but at least some pressure.
No idea how many snaps he played last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT