ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Tillman

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Interesting that we are recruiting the 2017 power forward from Grand Rapids. Wouldn't it be nice to have two Xaviers on the team ( if we could get Simpson also)? Tillman may be a difficult task since his mom was a standout player at Michigan. Then again we know from experience that the legacy thing is starting to become somewhat a lesser factor now. Time will tell.

Interesting that we are recruiting the 2017 power forward from Grand Rapids. Wouldn't it be nice to have two Xaviers on the team ( if we could get Simpson also)? Tillman may be a difficult task since his mom was a standout player at Michigan. Then again we know from experience that the legacy thing is starting to become somewhat a lesser factor now. Time will tell.
Not to pick on you but the "legacy" thing has always been a bit more fiction than fact. Look at Calvin Hill, his kid could have hacked it at Harvard, still would have probably played in the NBA, but went to Duke. I mean if Harvard can't pull in a legacy who the hell can?

Not to pick on you but the "legacy" thing has always been a bit more fiction than fact. Look at Calvin Hill, his kid could have hacked it at Harvard, still would have probably played in the NBA, but went to Duke. I mean if Harvard can't pull in a legacy who the hell can?
Calvin Hill was Yale. Grant's mother was Wellesley College and Hillary Clinton's roommate.

Not fiction at at all. Kendall chose Purdue because of his dad. If Painter wouldn't have made one of his biggest recruiting mistakes to date by not recruiting gr3 I would bet money he would have came to Purdue. Biggies guardian playing at Purdue also had a huge impact on him coming here I'm sure. There really is no comparison between Harvard and Duke's basketball programs. Not surprising at all that a legacy would choose any P5 school over Harvard for basketball.

Not fiction at at all. Kendall chose Purdue because of his dad. If Painter wouldn't have made one of his biggest recruiting mistakes to date by not recruiting gr3 I would bet money he would have came to Purdue. Biggies guardian playing at Purdue also had a huge impact on him coming here I'm sure. There really is no comparison between Harvard and Duke's basketball programs. Not surprising at all that a legacy would choose any P5 school over Harvard for basketball.
GR3 was never coming to Purdue. Swanigan's adoptive father never made any secret it was a business decision. I could list all the different legacies who didn't follow mom or dad but I'd be here all day. Sean May didn't for example. There are way more who don't than those that do.

GR3 was never coming to Purdue. Swanigan's adoptive father never made any secret it was a business decision. I could list all the different legacies who didn't follow mom or dad but I'd be here all day. Sean May didn't for example. There are way more who don't than those that do.
GR3 was never coming to Purdue because Painter never seriously recruited him. Highly doubt Gelen comes here if it wasn't for his father. Yes I realize Swanigans camp said it was a business decision but I think you're being a little naive if you don't believe Barnes playing here factored in a little. Kendall explicitly stated his dad playing was why he came here. There may be more that don't than do, but to dismiss it as a non factor simply isn't true.

GR3 was never coming to Purdue because Painter never seriously recruited him. Highly doubt Gelen comes here if it wasn't for his father. Yes I realize Swanigans camp said it was a business decision but I think you're being a little naive if you don't believe Barnes playing here factored in a little. Kendall explicitly stated his dad playing was why he came here. There may be more that don't than do, but to dismiss it as a non factor simply isn't true.
I never said it didn't ever happen. It's just not the draw people seem to think that it is.

There are way more who don't than those that do.
While this is true, it's worth noting that you're comparing 1 kid picking a single school to 1 kid picking every other school. While I get what you're saying, your statement isn't very meaningful (no offense intended) because it's pitting the choice for one school against the choice for the field.

I think what you'd want to do is compare all kids that went to school "A" against legacy kids that went to school "A" to see if there's greater or lesser historical evidence on legacies following parents (assuming they had an offer from school "A" to do so) than non-legacies who had the same option (again, as determined by whether they had an offer to school "A"). And doing that may be somewhat tricky as there may not be enough data points for legacies who had an offer from mom's/dad's school to reach any statistical significance. Not to mention it would require tireless work and be painstakingly boring to pull that info together, so I'm not suggesting you should do this. Nevertheless, I think that's the comparison you'd need to do to make the point I think you're trying to make.

Last edited:
While this is true, it's worth noting that you're comparing 1 kid picking a single school to 1 kid picking every other school. While I get what you're saying, your statement isn't very meaningful (no offense intended) because it's pitting the choice for one school against the choice for the field.

I think what you'd want to do is compare all kids that went to school "A" against legacy kids that went to school "A" to see if there's greater or lesser historical evidence on legacies following parents (assuming they had an offer from school "A" to do so) than non-legacies who had the same option (again, as determined by whether they had an offer to school "A"). And doing that may be somewhat tricky as there may not be enough data points for legacies who had an offer from mom's/dad's school to reach any statistical significance. Not to mention it would require tireless work and be painstakingly boring to pull that info together, so I'm not suggesting you should do this. Nevertheless, I think that's the comparison you'd need to do to make the point I think you're trying to make.
I appreciate that my analysis is based on factors that may not win me a Nobel Prize. But I see criticism of Painter and other coaches by their fans, when a supposed legacy kid goes somewhere else as if it's a slight on the school or the staff. Now I know that 60 years of watching this stuff may not account for much, but, I harken back to the words of Jack Elway who unsuccessfully recruited his own son. "I bought the kid a car, I bought him clothes, I gave him cash, I even offered to have an affair with his mother and he still picked Stanford". Kids go where they want and it often isn't to the school where Mom or Dads number is retired or in the rafters.

Reactions: bodog57
I appreciate that my analysis is based on factors that may not win me a Nobel Prize. But I see criticism of Painter and other coaches by their fans, when a supposed legacy kid goes somewhere else as if it's a slight on the school or the staff. Now I know that 60 years of watching this stuff may not account for much, but, I harken back to the words of Jack Elway who unsuccessfully recruited his own son. "I bought the kid a car, I bought him clothes, I gave him cash, I even offered to have an affair with his mother and he still picked Stanford". Kids go where they want and it often isn't to the school where Mom or Dads number is retired or in the rafters.
Duly noted; and like I said, I knew where your head was. I agree with your last line that kids go where they want regardless of where their parents went (although that is certainly a motivating factor in some cases).

The purpose of my reply was just that it appeared you were attempting to normalize Purdue's results with legacies based on simply stating a lot more kids go their own way than don't, which I didn't think was necessarily a fair way to sell your point (1 vs. the field). I have no idea whether Purdue does any better or worse with legacies than other schools, so I'm not choosing sides in that debate. And for that matter, I have no idea what the average legacy retention rate is among all schools, but that's where all this data would be pretty interesting (save for the fact that nobody has the time/desire to assemble it).

Duly noted; and like I said, I knew where your head was. I agree with your last line that kids go where they want regardless of where their parents went (although that is certainly a motivating factor in some cases).

The purpose of my reply was just that it appeared you were attempting to normalize Purdue's results with legacies based on simply stating a lot more kids go their own way than don't, which I didn't think was necessarily a fair way to sell your point (1 vs. the field). I have no idea whether Purdue does any better or worse with legacies than other schools, so I'm not choosing sides in that debate. And for that matter, I have no idea what the average legacy retention rate is among all schools, but that's where all this data would be pretty interesting (save for the fact that nobody has the time/desire to assemble it).

And there are some legacies that the schools just don't want, don't fit the current team need or simply have no room to accomodate. I remember when Rick Mount's son came to Purdue and he was only a so-so talent. I think taking him because of his name ended up causing resentment in the long run when he left the way he did.

How many of us (i.e. non-basketbal scholarship student-athletes) went to the same school as one of our parents? Personally, I went to none of them. And, I don't expect my kids to go to any of the schools I went to for college.

CoBo

Reactions: GregJM24
Yes I realize Swanigans camp said it was a business decision but I think you're being a little naive if you don't believe Barnes playing here factored in a little.

Barnes had two sons who were both talented football players. 3 star recruits I believe (maybe high 3 stars). Purdue offered scholarships but they went elsewhere. I think you may be giving Barnes a bit too much credit for "alma mater" and not enough credit for 'business decision".

How many of us (i.e. non-basketbal scholarship student-athletes) went to the same school as one of our parents? Personally, I went to none of them. And, I don't expect my kids to go to any of the schools I went to for college.

CoBo

Well, I for one am the son of Boilermaker parents. I have two degrees from Purdue and have two brothers who are both Boilermakers. I have two daughters, both Boilermakers. Is there any other way?

Boiler up!

ADVERTISEMENT