ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Simpson

Not trying to start anything but can someone tell me why we are so high on a 5'11" pg ranked 122nd in his class. I am sure there are reasons but have not seen them.

Can someone help?

Because that also puts him at #15 for his position per 247 sports. Not sure why you are going to complain about getting a top 15 recruit to come to campus at any position? He is also trending way up this spring after strong showings during the start of AAU season on one of the top AAU teams in the Midwest. He would also be #86 according to 247.

The only other player of note in the 247 top 50 for PG's would be CJ Hedgepeth from Evansville, IN at #43.

Granted this is from a camp, but Simpson shows a great feel for the game in the open floor along with instincts on the pick and roll/offensive side of the ball when making a pass. Looking at the middle portion of that video, you can see his feel and his ability to make a pass in to a tight space multiple times. If you also look at his demeanor, he is definitely not a 'me' first type of PG and doesn't pound his chest or make gestures that would make a coach think otherwise. He seems to be a Painter type of player and one that could get out on the break to take advantage of guys like Taylor, Edwards, and Smotherman when needing a change of pace.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Because that also puts him at #15 for his position per 247 sports. Not sure why you are going to complain about getting a top 15 recruit to come to campus at any position? He is also trending way up this spring after strong showings during the start of AAU season on one of the top AAU teams in the Midwest. He would also be #86 according to 247.

The only other player of note in the 247 top 50 for PG's would be CJ Hedgepeth from Evansville, IN at #43.
Funny, I thought I made it clear I was just asking for other's input that had seen him since I have not. There was no complaining at all.

His name has been brought up a lot and I just wondered what he brought.

OTOH, your second post did provide some useful information and for that I am thankful.

Apologize for me misreading your post then as it came across as some what negative, but if you didn't mean it as such then my apologies. Glad I could help with a little bit of information on Xavier however. He is a highly sought after guard that Purdue would be very lucky to get to add to the fold as a pg who can do a bit of everything (although they rarely ever show defensive prowess in highlight films).

Apologize for me misreading your post then as it came across as some what negative, but if you didn't mean it as such then my apologies. Glad I could help with a little bit of information on Xavier however. He is a highly sought after guard that Purdue would be very lucky to get to add to the fold as a pg who can do a bit of everything (although they rarely ever show defensive prowess in highlight films).
Apology totally accepted.

That is why I started the post with "Not trying to start anything." It is hard to properly communicate at times on a written venue like this.

I have seen his name bandied about to the point I was wondering what he offered. If he was a top 50 (and I put little stock in these numbers) then I would understand due to his number alone. I will check out the video once I get home (work blocks that kind of thing.)

Reactions: GregJM24
Thanks for the video hard to argue why Coach is after him if he can hit from the arc consistently

Apology totally accepted.

That is why I started the post with "Not trying to start anything." It is hard to properly communicate at times on a written venue like this.

I have seen his name bandied about to the point I was wondering what he offered. If he was a top 50 (and I put little stock in these numbers) then I would understand due to his number alone. I will check out the video once I get home (work blocks that kind of thing.)

Rankings differ, too…

ESPN has him as a 4-star recruit
http://espn.go.com/collegesports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186725/xavier-simpson

Scout has him as 4-star recruit and as the 74th best player in the country
http://scouthoops.scout.com/player/7763710n-xavier-simpson

He'd solidify out PG position for years to come, and if we can get Cumberland along with him, even better… gotta love that chemistry.

Granted this is from a camp, but Simpson shows a great feel for the game in the open floor along with instincts on the pick and roll/offensive side of the ball when making a pass. Looking at the middle portion of that video, you can see his feel and his ability to make a pass in to a tight space multiple times. If you also look at his demeanor, he is definitely not a 'me' first type of PG and doesn't pound his chest or make gestures that would make a coach think otherwise. He seems to be a Painter type of player and one that could get out on the break to take advantage of guys like Taylor, Edwards, and Smotherman when needing a change of pace.

would like to get him at Purdue with Cumberland. I wonder if he has been a little weak for a few years due to his shooting pocket being so low. His dad is a coach and so I would imagine he has tried to get him to raise it...but in the video his pocket was pretty low...especially for a smaller player. Actually his pocket relatively speaking is similar to John Shurna (check at 45 seconds) but John was 6'9"

Maybe comprable to a Ricky Hall/Everett Stephens type player? Better true PG/defender, than scoring machine? Who else is he considering, other than Purdue & Xavier?

Last edited:
would like to get him at Purdue with Cumberland. I wonder if he has been a little weak for a few years due to his shooting pocket being so low. His dad is a coach and so I would imagine he has tried to get him to raise it...but in the video his pocket was pretty low...especially for a smaller player. Actually his pocket relatively speaking is similar to John Shurna (check at 45 seconds) but John was 6'9"

Shurna is one of those guys to add to the "Seemed like he played for 6+ years" list.

Reactions: Frankie611
Rankings differ, too…

ESPN has him as a 4-star recruit
http://espn.go.com/collegesports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186725/xavier-simpson

Scout has him as 4-star recruit and as the 74th best player in the country
http://scouthoops.scout.com/player/7763710n-xavier-simpson

He'd solidify out PG position for years to come, and if we can get Cumberland along with him, even better… gotta love that chemistry.

I haven't done this very lately, but Rivals rankings tend to be a bit "tougher" than other services. And #121 would be on the cusp of being a 4 star recruit on Rivals (i.e. Basil was a 4 star recruit and ranked #112 and 20th at his position).

Maybe comprable to a Ricky Hall/Everett Stephens type player? Better true PG/defender, than scoring macine? Who else is he considering, other than Purdue & Xavier?

I like the comparison with Ricky Hall. He would be a great fit on any team.

Both of these guys seem like really, really solid PGs. Edwards (as has been said on this board already), appears to be a better shooter (Xavier seems to be pretty good as well), but I would be happy with either!

Cumberland and Simpson have indicated they wouldn't mind being a package deal, therefore Purdue might be in a very good position.

Didn't Shurna quit with a year of eligibility left?

Don't think so:

2009 as a Freshman, started all season

2010 (2nd team All Big Ten)

2011 (3rd team All Big Ten)

2012 (1st team All Big Ten), including a 30-pt game against the Boilers

I think he is NW's all-time leading scorer now as well.

Maybe comprable to a Ricky Hall/Everett Stephens type player? Better true PG/defender, than scoring machine? Who else is he considering, other than Purdue & Xavier?

Nowhere near the athlete that Everette was, but Ricky hall isn't a bad comparison.

Keady would regularly run alley-oop plays for Stephens- dude could flat out sky.

Cumberland and Simpson have indicated they wouldn't mind being a package deal, therefore Purdue might be in a very good position.
I didn't know this. Purdue could land 2 high priority recruits together. I think Simpson may be waiting for the Purdue visit before pulling the trigger (either way).

simpson attended camp at purdue and has been there...he just hasn't taken his official to Purdue yet which it sounds like will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT