ADVERTISEMENT

With the way AJ has turned it on and the way he is playing

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
here's a hypothetical question.

If both Yogi and AJ were to declare this year (I hope AJ stays and could care less about Yogi), who goes higher in the draft....or does neither get drafted in the first two rounds?

I think size matters, especially in the NBA and thus I'd have to say if the tourney holds the way it should and PU advances, I think AJ might move up to the top of the second round.

the big question here is whether tom wants to strongarm any nba executives... if he does, then yogi is likely a first round pick...

these drafts usually come down to physical intimidation in the end, and tom has that in spades. I've never seen such a tenacious junkyard dog type of a leader

Originally posted by proudopete:
AJ will be back.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. He is playing his way to a good first round pick and while I think he really enjoys playing with this team, I think he will factor in his age and bolt for the draft.

Again, hope I am wrong but money talks.

AJ will be an interesting situation.

On one hand, he is old for his class year, coming on stronger and playing more consistently, etc.

On the other hand, he still is barely making a dent in the 2nd round of the draft and he has no game outside of within 5 feet of the basket (as witnessed vs. Ohio State).

You could make a case for him either way.

If he leaves this year, this is the most consistently he's played in his career - although you could argue it may still not be a "long enough" stretch. He is old for his age so not sure where his ceiling is in terms of draft potential.

If he stays, he would have time to add a bit more away from the basket to his game, become a bit more solid defensively and with rebounding, etc. But the question is would he ever develop a 15 foot shot in one year and would that suddenly make him a first round pick?

Personally, I think it's risky for him to go unless he's going to be a first round pick. However, I'm also not sure he'd ever be a first round pick. But if there was ever going to be an opportunity for him, it would be coming back next year, having a complete season and what should be a good team - and potential to be Big Ten POY. A lot of the draft has to do with hype.

Originally posted by lbodel:

On one hand, he is old for his class year, coming on stronger and playing more consistently, etc.

On the other hand, he still is barely making a dent in the 2nd round of the draft and he has no game outside of within 5 feet of the basket (as witnessed vs. Ohio State).

If he leaves this year, this is the most consistently he's played in his career - although you could argue it may still not be a "long enough" stretch. He is old for his age so not sure where his ceiling is in terms of draft potential.

If he stays, he would have time to add a bit more away from the basket to his game, become a bit more solid defensively and with rebounding, etc. But the question is would he ever develop a 15 foot shot in one year and would that suddenly make him a first round pick?

Personally, I think it's risky for him to go unless he's going to be a first round pick. However, I'm also not sure he'd ever be a first round pick. But if there was ever going to be an opportunity for him, it would be coming back next year, having a complete season and what should be a good team - and potential to be Big Ten POY. A lot of the draft has to do with hype.
You are right on all points. If he comes back, maybe CMP works more on him playing the 4 than the 5 and focus on that jumper.

Who knows like you said, if he's a second round pick then he really has nothing to lose in coming back and working on things to increase his draft spot. Other than injury of course.

i mean take a look at porkchop.

slow
dumb
overweight
lazy
promiscuous

compare that to tom

clean
mean
intimidating
merciful
ruthless

its kinda pathetic compring the two.. but it needed to be done for all to see

Originally posted by BBG:

You are right on all points. If he comes back, maybe CMP works more on him playing the 4 than the 5 and focus on that jumper.

Who knows like you said, if he's a second round pick then he really has nothing to lose in coming back and working on things to increase his draft spot. Other than injury of course.
If we make some noise in the NCAA tournament and he plays to a high level in that limelight, I think he's gone.

It's hard to say - even if you have a good game or 2 in the NCAA, it's quickly forgotten (could you name last year's Final Four teams off the top of your head?).

I think AJ's biggest issue is going up against guys his size, which is what life in the NBA is. In college, he usually has a size advantage. When he's faced skilled guys his size, which hasn't happened much, he hasn't typically done great (not saying he never does). Granted, this was earlier in the conference season, but against Wisconsin he had 11 points and 4 rebounds - and 4 turnovers on 5-10 shooting. That's ok, but not great. Another thing with AJ is that given his lack of range, having a 54% field goal percentage is not that great. He also has 60 turnovers on the season, definitely not great.

Compare that to Kaminsky - who is projected as mid to later first round pick. He is shooting the same percentage as AJ, but has range all the way out to the 3 (shooting 40%+ from 3). He also has more assists than turnovers.

I think the lack of AJ's range is one of his biggest issues right now. And while he is a good defensive guy in college, you can't rely on shot blocking in the NBA.

It's hard to say - even if you have a good game or 2 in the NCAA, it's quickly forgotten (could you name last year's Final Four teams off the top of your head?).

I think AJ's biggest issue is going up against guys his size, which is what life in the NBA is. In college, he usually has a size advantage. When he's faced skilled guys his size, which hasn't happened much, he hasn't typically done great (not saying he never does). Granted, this was earlier in the conference season, but against Wisconsin he had 11 points and 4 rebounds - and 4 turnovers on 5-10 shooting. That's ok, but not great. Another thing with AJ is that given his lack of range, having a 54% field goal percentage is not that great. He also has 60 turnovers on the season, definitely not great.

Compare that to Kaminsky - who is projected as mid to later first round pick. He is shooting the same percentage as AJ, but has range all the way out to the 3 (shooting 40%+ from 3). He also has more assists than turnovers.

I think the lack of AJ's range is one of his biggest issues right now. And while he is a good defensive guy in college, you can't rely on shot blocking in the NBA.
You're right and it tends to be an individual thing. I do think the media hype during the games tend to sway/influence some of the players to make quick decisions. Some of these decisions work out okay but many don't.

Originally posted by BBG:

BBG, what does Painter do with Taylor who's a natural 6'9" forward and would most likely play the four? I think he's the key ingredient for freeing other players up because now, they have to guard everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT