ADVERTISEMENT

Will this be the best Mackey environment since…

Been to some incredible PU/iu matchups in Mackey.
The Big Dog OT game in 94 was great.
Will Mackey break any noise records tonight?
Will Painter take his foot off the gas if given the chance to embarrass iu?
Don't believe it will be best environment ever, too much confidence on the Boiler's fans part about this game, will not allow them to be totallly amped. I am a little fearful, you can make a case that 3 of the best players that will be on the court today are Hoosiers.

Don't believe it will be best environment ever, too much confidence on the Boiler's fans part about this game, will not allow them to be totallly amped. I am a little fearful, you can make a case that 3 of the best players that will be on the court today are Hoosiers.

What case is that? I'm curious

Name the 3 please

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Are Isiah Thomas, Calbert Cheaney, and Scott May going to be on the court for some sort of bizarre pre-game ceremony?

I mean are you saying the three best players or 3 out of some number of top players?

Edey is clearly the best player right now on either team. Just because the NBA has preferences doesn't make that player better.

Reactions: tjreese
Not until they prove it! Who are you talking about though? I definitely would not say 3.

I know what you are saying. Three of the most individually talented players will be on the court for IU. YOU never said the three best, which I got and not sure others did. Purdue is the better team and both teams will play very hard. Some bad whistles can make a hell of a difference in this game. I look for the Boilers to prevail, but I've seen enough of these games...even when one team is much better to expect a competitive game. I'd love to be wrong, but in one game anything can happen. I think the Fan's will be amped up...at least early and if close...

If ahead, Matt will give minutes to players that haven't played much instead of trying to win by as much as possible, but this will come after it looks like a time they can get minutes. I doubt this will be the loudest time either. IN 1987 when both were ranked in the top 3 at the time I believe, I remember a media person on a landline(had a couple of those in Mackey) trying to shelter the noise so he could talk and telling the other person on line that he can't hear him...and that was one hour before the game

I know what you are saying. Three of the most individually talented players will be on the court for IU. YOU never said the three best, which I got and not sure others did. Purdue is the better team and both teams will play very hard. Some bad whistles can make a hell of a difference in this game. I look for the Boilers to prevail, but I've seen enough of these games...even when one team is much better to expect a competitive game. I'd love to be wrong, but in one game anything can happen. I think the Fan's will be amped up...at least early and if close...
I still don't think they have 3. They are so up and down. Ware looks better against smaller 5's. Maybe one could say those players are athletic, but I don't know if I'd put 3 above most of our team for being "the best" . That freshman makes so many mistakes still . I do think Malik is very good.

The "three best players thing" is a reference to a thread over on the IU board (Today's the day). Not sure if pubill was saying this as sarcasm or if he is the author of the other thread on that board.
I did not say I agree, but you can make a case as Mgbako. Ware and Renau are all on NBA draft boards and Edey is the only one from PU on there. We have to be focused and not think this will be easy , because I don't think it will.

I did not say I agree, but you can make a case as Mgbako. Ware and Renau are all on NBA draft boards and Edey is the only one from PU on there. We have to be focused and not think this will be easy , because I don't think it will.

While Vegas disagrees with you, I have said I think it will be a might closer than the Vegas line. Combo of Purdue knowing it's opponent is a weak sister, and iu finally playing with a smidgen of pride after getting waxed badly @ Btown

Still a Purdue Victory.

Hoping I am wrong and we see a ton of Berg & company.

Last edited:
I still don't think they have 3. They are so up and down. Ware looks better against smaller 5's. Maybe one could say those players are athletic, but I don't know if I'd put 3 above most of our team for being "the best" . That freshman makes so many mistakes still . I do think Malik is very good.
players and their results can be due to things outside the player himself. That said, there are 10 players on the court. Matt is aware of the abilities of those three players and they will be keyed upon as a result of their abilities. should they be more dominant...yes...two of them, but Reneau is really good right now.

This team won’t look past this game no matter how bad IU is. They are on a mission and unluckily for IU, smashing their hopes just so happens to be the next step in the process.

92-67 Purdue.
I'll hold back on the score differential, but the rest I agree with. Course it could be that bad...

Back in the 90s I was fortunate to work with a dude whose dad was a John Purdue member. I had access to tickets 10 rows behind the Purdue bench. I was at the 94 OT game. Man that crowd was loud. Mackey was rockin’ in the 80s also.

3 of the best what? 3 of best 8 starting players? I’d agree with that.

8 pm Saturday night start on fox? It will be rocking. It might not be if we lead by 20 but the first half will be LOUD

We were so proud of the Wisconsin win and look how they are performing, they are getting SMOKED by Rutgers. Our team will show up focused and humble or guaranteed we will lose, whether we are in Mackey or not. Maybe it's because of going through the heartbreak for 40 years, but I am not a fan of being over confident. Confident in that you will win IF you show up... fine... not trash talking confident. And quite frankly I have seen some of that out there today on X and Facebook etc. Stay humble, play hard.

Reactions: lovelyblonde
To be fair I might take reneau over TKR, but that’s it. I like Lance over mgbako, smith over cupps, Edey over ware, and loyer over Galloway. Can’t have your 2 shooting less than 30% from 3. Id rank the starters

Edey
Braden
Lance
Reneau
Mgbako
Ware
Loyer
TKR
Galloway
Cupps

So 3 of top 6

The loudest I have heard Mackey in person was the 1992 IU game. Boilers were bound for the NIT but ruined an outright B1G championship for IU, and the loss cost the Hoosiers a 1 seed.

The noise seemed otherworldly, and my ears rang for a day or so afterward.

Reactions: tjreese
Braden is better than anyone for IU. Jones might be as well. He said best players, not most talented.

Braden is better than anyone for IU. Jones might be as well. He said best players, not most talented.
Oops , too many distractions when I posted. Was thinking those 3 were in Purdue’s top ten. Not sure how I screwed that up? Anyway , Reneau in top 5 and other two between 7$9 Purdue players and should be better…and hopefully not tonight

The loudest I have heard Mackey in person was the 1992 IU game. Boilers were bound for the NIT but ruined an outright B1G championship for IU, and the loss cost the Hoosiers a 1 seed.

The noise seemed otherworldly, and my ears rang for a day or so afterward.
I was there with my MS son, who ended-up playing D1 ... perhaps the most emotional game I've been at ... and another time Iu fans built my intense hatred for them. A few had a huge sign and sat two rows above. They held it up constantly, blocking many seats' views. They suffered the consequences when they walked down the aisle. It is very lucky I was not arrested during that game.

Loudest for me is 1988 against IU when Todd Mitchell sealed it with a reverse jam at the end. 2011 against OSU (E'Twaun Moore game) was also loud with the Paint Crew wearing latex gloves to amplify their clapping.

Consistently loudest game overall I witnessed? Had to be '84 against Illinois.....battle for first place with Boilers outlasting the Illini 59-55 in a classic Big Ten tussle. Winters/Altenberger (Illinois) and Rowinski/Reid (Purdue) played the entire game, IIRC.

Single moment:

1/1A - Curt Clawson game winner over the Soviet National squad (not even a sellout) and Steve Reid's buzzer three to take out The Most Hated Rival, Iowa in '83.....that was after Reid picked Bob Hansen's pocket to set up the winner.

Loudest for me is 1988 against IU when Todd Mitchell sealed it with a reverse jam at the end. 2011 against OSU (E'Twaun Moore game) was also loud with the Paint Crew wearing latex gloves to amplify their clapping.
Didn’t the crowd set the decibel level record earlier this season? I wonder if it was challenged for Edey’s 3 pointer?

Reactions: SKYDOG
Didn’t the crowd set the decibel level record earlier this season? I wonder if it was challenged for Edey’s 3 pointer?
It had to have been very close to the record. Loudest I’ve heard there. Definitely an 11.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT