ADVERTISEMENT

Who is more important?

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
In our latest Gold and Black Illustrated (the spring football recap edition), Kyle and I go head-to-head in our "Vs." feature and answer "Whose return is more valuable: Frankie Williams or Danny Anthrop?" Both players were out this spring.
What's your take?

283055061.jpg

Last edited:
Frankie, we have a lack of depth at the DB spot, and he can do it all there. He also was a pretty good punt returner. I love Danny, but the wide out group has really seemed to take a step forward under Parker

Frankie... Because he can make an actual impact on his own. Too much other things revolve around Anthrop making an impact. QB play, line play, RBs blocking in pass protect. Frankie is more important right now because there are less question marks on his side of the ball, in my opinion, and so we know he's going to be counted on. Anthrop, while the best receiver could run a perfect route and still not get the ball.

I would love to hear you guys debate who the most important person on offense, and defense is going to be, as I think that could be debatable too. Sure QB is the likely candidate on offense, but RB could be made an argument as well because we have no clue what we're going to get out of that position this year because we're still not sure who's going to get the bulk of the carries. At least at QB there is an assumption so far that Appleby will retain the spot. On Defense Frankie is very important as the senior anchor at a thin spot, but I could make an argument for any DL position as I think the lines on both sides of the ball are the most important positions on the field.

So I understand why the Anthrop vs. Frankie discussion came up, but I really think there is a bigger one that could be had.

Frankie... Because he can make an actual impact on his own. Too much other things revolve around Anthrop making an impact. QB play, line play, RBs blocking in pass protect. Frankie is more important right now because there are less question marks on his side of the ball, in my opinion, and so we know he's going to be counted on. Anthrop, while the best receiver could run a perfect route and still not get the ball.

I would love to hear you guys debate who the most important person on offense, and defense is going to be, as I think that could be debatable too. Sure QB is the likely candidate on offense, but RB could be made an argument as well because we have no clue what we're going to get out of that position this year because we're still not sure who's going to get the bulk of the carries. At least at QB there is an assumption so far that Appleby will retain the spot. On Defense Frankie is very important as the senior anchor at a thin spot, but I could make an argument for any DL position as I think the lines on both sides of the ball are the most important positions on the field.

So I understand why the Anthrop vs. Frankie discussion came up, but I really think there is a bigger one that could be had.

Yeah, it was a spring football-focused magazine, so that topic made the most sense.

Frankie Williams, without question. When healthy, he is a defensive difference maker. Together he and Brown are a great tandem. Purdue already has better WRs on the roster than Anthrop, and Coach Parker is going to turn their potential into production.

So what do you think of my question, who is the key player on both sides of the ball?

Or will I have to subscribe to find out. Haha...

I don't know what our "Vs." question will be for the football preview issue. We haven't thought of it yet. It was going to be who we think should start at quarterback, but Kyle and I agree on that, so that won't work.

I think, generally, QB is the most important player on offense. I'd say a pass-rushing defensive end can be a "difference-maker" on defense.

Or are you asking specifically for Purdue's most important players on offense and defense?

I don't know what our "Vs." question will be for the football preview issue. We haven't thought of it yet. It was going to be who we think should start at quarterback, but Kyle and I agree on that, so that won't work.

I think, generally, QB is the most important player on offense. I'd say a pass-rushing defensive end can be a "difference-maker" on defense.

Or are you asking specifically for Purdue's most important players on offense and defense?
I was asking specifically what players, and I didn't want to really through names out there to sway peoples thoughts.

While I think QB is the most important position, for some reason I still think Kugs is the most important player on offense as the anchor of the line, a team leader. If one of the QBs goes down I think we get about the same production maybe out of the backup after an adjustment, if Kugs goes down, and as much as I like Barron he's untested and we lose a lot more than just the down grade in that position becuase he means so much to the offense.

Defense is harder for me. While I agree the DE would be a difference maker. I think Howard might have to be the anchor of that line as I think he has the highest potential. He's the one on that line i think can have a monster year and make everyone better. I feel we're deeper at DT right with Howard, Watson, ect than we are at DE with Panfil and whoever ends up on the other side. So I gotta go with the position with depth as being more important.

Thanks for slumming it with the free board a bit.

I was asking specifically what players, and I didn't want to really through names out there to sway peoples thoughts.

While I think QB is the most important position, for some reason I still think Kugs is the most important player on offense as the anchor of the line, a team leader. If one of the QBs goes down I think we get about the same production maybe out of the backup after an adjustment, if Kugs goes down, and as much as I like Barron he's untested and we lose a lot more than just the down grade in that position becuase he means so much to the offense.

Defense is harder for me. While I agree the DE would be a difference maker. I think Howard might have to be the anchor of that line as I think he has the highest potential. He's the one on that line i think can have a monster year and make everyone better. I feel we're deeper at DT right with Howard, Watson, ect than we are at DE with Panfil and whoever ends up on the other side. So I gotta go with the position with depth as being more important.

I have to agree with your commentary about Kugler quite possible being the most important player on the offensive side, but I'll throw another name out there. Whoever is the LT this season to protect the blindside of the QB. That appears to be the one weak aspect of the OL that appears to be the strength of the offensive side of the ball. If that player can solidify that spot and give the QB the time needed on the backside to find the open receiver down field, like the coaches would like.

On defense, I'll say that Bentley is the most important player. Playing the MLB position and stepping forward in a big way last year was a treat to watch. If he can make another step in the right direction production wise, that gives a solid player to rely on when an opposing offense is moving the ball. He just seemed to be able to make plays last year and stepping more in to a leadership role this season, I think he begins to grasp the speed of the game and what is expected of him from a scheme stand point and becomes a force for a defense that should be able to make stops when asked upon this year.

Frankie Williams, without question. When healthy, he is a defensive difference maker. Together he and Brown are a great tandem. Purdue already has better WRs on the roster than Anthrop, and Coach Parker is going to turn their potential into production.
Nearly all other WR's on the team are unproven, young, or haven't produced to their ability level up to this point.

And that's why I said Coach Parker is going to turn their potential into production. If you watched the spring "games" you should have seen guys playing much better than we've typically seen, such as Yancey, Bilal Marshall, Hart, Phillips, etc. Mahongou could be a big piece of the puzzle, too.

I try to visit the free board regularly. :)

I actually said in the most recent magazine who I thought the most valuable player is on this offense. It's in the two-page "scouting the offense" section that I did.

"Potential" is a word too often delivered at Purdue over the last five years and rarely realized. Howard hasn't done anything yet, and, IMO, this is an absolute MUST year for him. Yes, there's depth there now with Watson/Rouse, but he must overtake them. (Replogle is a no-doubt starter.) Not sure he's going to decide to do that. It seems to be a will thing for him, not an ability thing. He has to want to do well. If he ever decides that ...

Purdue doesn't have a difference-making DE on this roster. Generally speaking, I like that position on defense but on this team, it's not a strength. I think Anthony Brown is the best player on the defense, though Frankie Williams, Replogle and Bentley are good, too. I think with Purdue's defense, Gregory's safety position is really important because it's a guy who is put in a position to make plays (like Feichter did).

And that's why I said Coach Parker is going to turn their potential into production. If you watched the spring "games" you should have seen guys playing much better than we've typically seen, such as Yancey, Bilal Marshall, Hart, Phillips, etc. Mahongou could be a big piece of the puzzle, too.

Posey is someone not many talk about, but he'll start probably, depending on where they put Anthrop. But I'd suspect they'll do Yancey, Posey and Anthrop in a three-receiver set or add Phillips to that in a four-receiver look with Posey/Anthrop at slots.

I have to agree with your commentary about Kugler quite possible being the most important player on the offensive side, but I'll throw another name out there. Whoever is the LT this season to protect the blindside of the QB. That appears to be the one weak aspect of the OL that appears to be the strength of the offensive side of the ball. If that player can solidify that spot and give the QB the time needed on the backside to find the open receiver down field, like the coaches would like.

On defense, I'll say that Bentley is the most important player. Playing the MLB position and stepping forward in a big way last year was a treat to watch. If he can make another step in the right direction production wise, that gives a solid player to rely on when an opposing offense is moving the ball. He just seemed to be able to make plays last year and stepping more in to a leadership role this season, I think he begins to grasp the speed of the game and what is expected of him from a scheme stand point and becomes a force for a defense that should be able to make stops when asked upon this year.

Hedelin is the no-question starter at LT.

Can't argue with anything here, especially because our opinions are equally valid. I keep hearing a lot of about patterson I think that's his name, I'd have to look up on to spell his first name, but the redshirt freshman from Ohio. Hazell seems really high on him and I remember seeing his video as a later addition to that class. It was from Nike event and I was really impressed for his size. Would love to see that kid be for real and solidify the line spot, I'm not sure where he fits though.

Outside of the DL I could easily make the argument that Bentley is the most important as typically the MLB has been the leader and captain on the field because of how guys like Robinson and Holland anchored it, but my only hold there is that I still value the DL above all else and I think the best player on the team has to be on the DL. Bentley probably gets a bit of a knock on him importance wise because he's been so good that he's almost an afterthought. People just expect him to get better and do his job.

I try to visit the free board regularly. :)

I actually said in the most recent magazine who I thought the most valuable player is on this offense. It's in the two-page "scouting the offense" section that I did.

"Potential" is a word too often delivered at Purdue over the last five years and rarely realized. Howard hasn't done anything yet, and, IMO, this is an absolute MUST year for him. Yes, there's depth there now with Watson/Rouse, but he must overtake them. (Replogle is a no-doubt starter.) Not sure he's going to decide to do that. It seems to be a will thing for him, not an ability thing. He has to want to do well. If he ever decides that ...

Purdue doesn't have a difference-making DE on this roster. Generally speaking, I like that position on defense but on this team, it's not a strength. I think Anthony Brown is the best player on the defense, though Frankie Williams, Replogle and Bentley are good, too. I think with Purdue's defense, Gregory's safety position is really important because it's a guy who is put in a position to make plays (like Feichter did).
Ohhh ok, I won't push you on that since it's in a paid piece already, moving down to the word potential I can't agree more with that entire paragraph. I assume Replogle was a starter which is why I didn't include him in the depth conversation, but at once time wasn't there a possibility of him being a DE too? or am I making that up in my head?

As for your last paragraph, thanks for that. intersting to hear. I like Brown a lot, but haven't seen him in the best player light, will be interesting to see him shine this year. I love the way he plays, seems like he's been overshadowed. It's so hard figuring this team out and knowing what to think about them considering what you say about the word potential. I feel like it's all there, just not sure if it can come together.

Ohhh ok, I won't push you on that since it's in a paid piece already, moving down to the word potential I can't agree more with that entire paragraph. I assume Replogle was a starter which is why I didn't include him in the depth conversation, but at once time wasn't there a possibility of him being a DE too? or am I making that up in my head?

(Shhh ... I said Kugler.)

I gotta go with Anthrop, when he went down there was no one but Sinz who could catch a ball, might be different this year but Danny was the go to guy

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT