ADVERTISEMENT

Which upcoming matchup concerns you the most?

Which upcoming potential matchup concerns you the most?

• Gonzaga

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marquette

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Kansas

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Alabama

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Arizona

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Old Gold n Black

True Freshman
Nov 24, 2003
Lots of fantastic matchups (and potential matchups) on the horizon. Which one worries you the most, and why?

For me it has to be Alabama. They have a 5-headed monster front court with guys who are quick, long, and athletic. Of all those guys, only Wague averages less than 8ppg. The other four are basically carbon copies of Arkansas' Trevon Brazile.

At guard, they have Mark Sears and Aaron Estrada. Sears is basically Braden Smith with two years added experience and another gear of speed/quickness. Gonna be a tough out. REALLY tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Lots of fantastic matchups (and potential matchups) on the horizon. Which one worries you the most, and why?

For me it has to be Alabama. They have a 5-headed monster front court with guys who are quick, long, and athletic. Of all those guys, only Wague averages less than 8ppg. The other four are basically carbon copies of Arkansas' Trevon Brazile.

At guard, they have Mark Sears and Aaron Estrada. Sears is basically Braden Smith with two years added experience and another gear of speed/quickness. Gonna be a tough out. REALLY tough.
The Gonzaga game is the most impactful, so it worries me the most. If we win that game we get two more matchups with top ten teams (barring upsets in other games). Lose and we likely get two games versus quality opponents but more along the lines of top 25 type teams.

I want to see us beat Alabama and Arizona, but a loss in either of those games would have a smaller impact for the reason stated above.

For the other teams, I'm not worried about anyone not yet on our schedule.

The Gonzaga game is the most impactful, so it worries me the most. If we win that game we get two more matchups with top ten teams (barring upsets in other games). Lose and we likely get two games versus quality opponents but more along the lines of top 25 type teams.

I want to see us beat Alabama and Arizona, but a loss in either of those games would have a smaller impact for the reason stated above.

For the other teams, I'm not worried about anyone not yet on our schedule.
Regarding which game is the most "impactful", I would agree that Gonzaga (or any Maui game for that matter) will have the most impact. However, even if we make it to the Maui championship game and face Kansas, I just don't think they are dynamic enough to embarrass us.

When I comes to which game I am most worried about, Alabama takes the cake. They are the only team on our schedule right now that could thump us by 20+ without batting an eye. I dunno. Hopefully I'm wrong.

For me it was between Alabama and Tennessee, but I am not certain that Purdue will face Tennessee so I went with Alabama. Both seem to be the type of teams that tends to give Purdue trouble.

I dont understand. Why would I 'worry' about any Nov/Dec game? Let alone games that might not even happen? You are worried we get blown out? Ok then what?

Reactions: northside100
I dont understand. Why would I 'worry' about any Nov/Dec game? Let alone games that might not even happen? You are worried we get blown out? Ok then what?
Perhaps I worded the question awkwardly.

Let me make it a bit more direct: Which team has the capacity to kick our ass to a degree that the negative nancies sound the death knell and begin preaching our immanent demise?

Perhaps I worded the question awkwardly.

Let me make it a bit more direct: Which team has the capacity to kick our ass to a degree that the negative nancies sound the death knell and begin preaching our immanent demise?
Oh. Well just remind them that they only care about March.

Arizona posses a problem for us. Very athletic. If they play like they did at Duke, could be trouble... Agree that Alabama could be the same problem.

+1

Zona - that's a hard core hood this year, Dry......

giphy.gif

Pretty sure our D isn't at a level to handle any of these cats yet? But maybe they step it up? They did last year early.

Regarding which game is the most "impactful", I would agree that Gonzaga (or any Maui game for that matter) will have the most impact. However, even if we make it to the Maui championship game and face Kansas, I just don't think they are dynamic enough to embarrass us.

When I comes to which game I am most worried about, Alabama takes the cake. They are the only team on our schedule right now that could thump us by 20+ without batting an eye. I dunno. Hopefully I'm wrong.

You're wrong, lol. Purdue has maybe 1 or 2 20 point losses the last 4 years.

Another way to think of this is that I think that Alabama might be the game that tells us the most about whether this team has addressed its weaknesses from last year. I am not worried about losing, but I don’t want to discover that Purdue can’t handle Alabama’s athleticism. I am confident about this team, but you never really know until the games are played.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT