ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Etling Headed?

This is 10000% your opinion.

I guess. His mechanics his freshman year were easily the best of any recent QB with perhaps the exception of Marve. Nat's point seems pretty obvious by coaches comments about yips, performance, and the fact that LSU brought him in.

I guess. His mechanics his freshman year were easily the best of any recent QB with perhaps the exception of Marve. Nat's point seems pretty obvious by coaches comments about yips, performance, and the fact that LSU brought him in.

LSU's QB situation is tenuous at best.

They are pretty desperate for a guy that can complete some easy passes and doesn't turn it over.

Danny doesn't fit that mold.

They are pretty desperate for a guy that can complete some easy passes and doesn't turn it over.

I wouldnt know much about LSU's QBs but they dont give those spots away. That school is a football giant. Etling joining them is an undeniable statement of his potential/talent.

I do agree that he was as bad as Ive seen this last year.

Mine and others.

Dont confuse talent with production.

I think Sindelar from what I hear blows him away in all facets.

That said, between the guys who were likely to play this year, Etling had the best arm by far. That said, he has little pocket presence (never showed it), poor ball handling skills (but so does Appleby), Telegraphs his throws (so does Appleby) and locks on to his first read far too much. Not to mention the happy feet, poor footwork and the fact he's scared to get hit.

Not a complete package QB. Most likely won't factor in to the LSU race unless they lose out on the 3 guys they have targeted at QB in the 2016 class (which they just lost one to Auburn). And even if so, I don't think he can beat out the Jefferson kid they would like to start....that kid just needs to develop a bit and he'll be better than Danny.

I think Sindelar from what I hear blows him away in all facets.

That said, between the guys who were likely to play this year, Etling had the best arm by far. That said, he has little pocket presence (never showed it), poor ball handling skills (but so does Appleby), Telegraphs his throws (so does Appleby) and locks on to his first read far too much. Not to mention the happy feet, poor footwork and the fact he's scared to get hit.

Not a complete package QB. Most likely won't factor in to the LSU race unless they lose out on the 3 guys they have targeted at QB in the 2016 class (which they just lost one to Auburn). And even if so, I don't think he can beat out the Jefferson kid they would like to start....that kid just needs to develop a bit and he'll be better than Danny.

Agree regarding sindlear.

Those issues you point out convince me we have an issue at QB coach. I dont see the fundamentals issues with QBs resolving itself until Shoop is gone or given a different position group.

LSU's QB situation is tenuous at best.

Danny doesn't fit that mold.

Maybe the LSU coaches saw, like I did, that schoop doesn't know what he's doing, and that Etling might do better with a real offensive coach.

Maybe the LSU coaches saw, like I did, that schoop doesn't know what he's doing, and that Etling might do better with a real offensive coach.

Etling's major flaws don't have anything to do with coaching.

I doubt his coaches tell him to throw off his back foot. I doubt they tell him to have happy feet.

No doubt that Shoop sucks major donkey balls, but that wasn't what did Etling in.

Etling's major flaws don't have anything to do with coaching.

I doubt his coaches tell him to throw off his back foot. I doubt they tell him to have happy feet.

No doubt that Shoop sucks major donkey balls, but that wasn't what did Etling in.

Coaching should correct both those things. His footwork got worse at Purdue

Here's the thing...do you really think the staff isn't correcting that in practice? Cmon.

The throw vs. CMU where he threw across the field, off his back foot for an easy pic sums up his Purdue career really well to me.

If a kid isn't doing it in practice then does it in games, that's a coaching issue? Really? That's clearly a mental issue

Here's the thing...do you really think the staff isn't correcting that in practice? Cmon.

The throw vs. CMU where he threw across the field, off his back foot for an easy pic sums up his Purdue career really well to me.

If a kid isn't doing it in practice then does it in games, that's a coaching issue? Really? That's clearly a mental issue

I agree the kid had mental issues with the game, but given I see some of the same issues with Appleby, shoop has some blame here too

I agree the kid had mental issues with the game, but given I see some of the same issues with Appleby, shoop has some blame here too

This. You can blame Etling if you want. A p5 qb shouldnt look like that. But same can be said for Applebee and Henry.

This. You can blame Etling if you want. A p5 qb shouldnt look like that. But same can be said for Applebee and Henry.

Going to disagree with you here.

Appleby had some really good games last year. I circle the Nebraska game as a game that if the WRs show up, we likely win. The RBs were good. Appleby's mechanics weren't great, but he put a lot of balls on the hands and #s of WRs and got no help. I counted AT LEAST 10 drops by WRs on fairly easy balls in the 2nd half alone. Even though it was a loss and the stats don't bear it out....it was one of the best QB performances out of a Purdue QB over the past 5 years in the pass game.

Don't know what happened in the IU or NW games though. I think a lot of our lack of success had to do with us mixing in Phillips and Hart too much in those last games. It was a good move benching Yancey at that point, but having inexperienced WRs in the pass game definitely hurt us.

Don't know what happened in the IU or NW games though. I think a lot of our lack of success had to do with us mixing in Phillips and Hart too much in those last games. It was a good move benching Yancey at that point, but having inexperienced WRs in the pass game definitely hurt us.

Defensive Coordinators had film of AA by the time those games came around. He played well early, but once the book was out on him, he fell back to earth.

I think a lot of our lack of success had to do with us mixing in Phillips and Hart too much in those last games.

agree with you here. We would have been way better off to shirt them. Same with Monteroso, Robinson, and most other kids they play.

Appleby had some really good games last year.

As did Etling in 2013. Applebees Nebraska performance is no better than Etlings PSU, MSU, or IU performance.

agree with you here. We would have been way better off to shirt them. Same with Monteroso, Robinson, and most other kids they play.

Gelen Robinson? He actually could rush the passer from the end position. I dont think he needed to redshirt, just needed to call a cab.

Gelen Robinson? He actually could rush the passer from the end position. I dont think he needed to redshirt, just needed to call a cab.

Yeah, but he made what, one sack that mattered that I noticed against Iowa. I would much rather shirt him and trade him for a 5th year Robinson in the future. He brought very little to the table last year. One dimensional at best and most times he just got stood up by the Tackle.

I hope not. if he does, i think that means the season went to hell.
It would be ideal if we could redshirt Sindelar. He just might be too good to redshirt. If he plays, it could also mean that he is just too good and gives us our best chance to win.

Yeah, but he made what, one sack that mattered that I noticed against Iowa. I would much rather shirt him and trade him for a 5th year Robinson in the future. He brought very little to the table last year. One dimensional at best and most times he just got stood up by the Tackle.
He can redshirt at any time if that is what the coaches want, but it seems he was needed last year, but didn't play as much as most expected.

Geez, Dude, you are ( too) fond of saying 1000% and, in a confrontive way, " That's your opinion." First of all, chill out, and second, it is, as all Purdue graduates know, 100% .

I didn't go to Purdue...but I know how every Purdue grad likes to rant and rave about the exclusivity of their degree while excluding people who just like the team.

I happen to be an alum of a school that wipes the floor with Purdue historically football wise but get shit that I don't know what a winning football team looks like.

This 2015 team is going to look a lot more like a winner than any team over the past 8 years. You don't have to belive me...my alma mater only won 37 games while I was an undergrad. But hey, no outsiders...we wouldn't want more than 20k fair weathered as shit alumni only to show up to games. Yeah, that's how OSU and all those successful SEC schools do it! No outside fans! Only 50+ years old alumni only!

I didn't go to Purdue...but I know how every Purdue grad likes to rant and rave about the exclusivity of their degree while excluding people who just like the team.

I happen to be an alum of a school that wipes the floor with Purdue historically football wise but get shit that I don't know what a winning football team looks like.

This 2015 team is going to look a lot more like a winner than any team over the past 8 years. You don't have to belive me...my alma mater only won 37 games while I was an undergrad. But hey, no outsiders...we wouldn't want more than 20k fair weathered as shit alumni only to show up to games. Yeah, that's how OSU and all those successful SEC schools do it! No outside fans! Only 50+ years old alumni only!

A lot of anger in this post. Umad bro?

We get it, you don't like contrary opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT