ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Etling Headed?

boiler800

Senior
Jan 26, 2012
Venice, FL
I hope Danny Etling heads across the state line and plays for Coach Brock Spack @ Illinois State! Spack has turned out to be a fabulous Coach, and the school is upgrading its facilities...plus Danny won't have to sit out.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
He's got a RS year...I'm betting it's a smaller fcs school. NIU or a directional Michigan are my guess

I hope Danny Etling heads across the state line and plays for Coach Brock Spack @ Illinois State! Spack has turned out to be a fabulous Coach, and the school is upgrading its facilities...plus Danny won't have to sit out.

Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up at a MAC school. He has fbs talent. Hopefully he can find somewhere with a good an coach

Reactions: Ynotnech
He told one of my colleagues this week that he will be visiting Arkansas this coming Wednesday and that Florida has shown interest.

Our high school 2nd string Sr. QB just committed to Florida yesterday. Our first string Sr. QB committed to TCU last spring. We run a spread with the #1 since he is a track star and use our #2 a lot when we need to pass more in a roll out pocket! Our #2 would be the starting QB at most high schools in Texas since he is that good so it is not too surprising to us that they offered and he committed! Glad he didn't transfer back when they were battling it out for the past two years and a full ride to Florida makes his decision to still it out with us looks very good right now!

Our high school 2nd string Sr. QB just committed to Florida yesterday. Our first string Sr. QB committed to TCU last spring. We run a spread with the #1 since he is a track star and use our #2 a lot when we need to pass more in a roll out pocket! Our #2 would be the starting QB at most high schools in Texas since he is that good so it is not too surprising to us that they offered and he committed! Glad he didn't transfer back when they were battling it out for the past two years and a full ride to Florida makes his decision to still it out with us looks very good right now!
31293728.jpg

He told one of my colleagues this week that he will be visiting Arkansas this coming Wednesday and that Florida has shown interest.
It is being reported on Twitter that he is going to report to LSU sometime in the next week. If true, wish him the best.

Wow. LSU? Hopefully he doesn't make our coaches look like idiots.....

My gut agrees with you in a selfish way, but I remember reading about how Etling grew up idolizing Brees, and I really felt for him to get the treatment he got at Purdue. So my brain wants him to succeed. If he starts, one would have to think that a big if, I'll have a winning team to root for!

If he wins the NC in 2016, it wont impact our record...

My gut agrees with you in a selfish way, but I remember reading about how Etling grew up idolizing Brees, and I really felt for him to get the treatment he got at Purdue. So my brain wants him to succeed. If he starts, one would have to think that a big if, I'll have a winning team to root for!

If he wins the NC in 2016, it wont impact our record...

You're an idiot. The "treatment" he got at Purdue? You mean allowed to play as many games as he did with clearly better options on the team? Hazell and Co. were super fair to him and very slow with the hook.

I'd love to hear about this "treatment" he got. Yes, Shoop is a shitty OC. Yes, our coach hasn't proven himself....but i'd love to hear more about how poorly he was treated in his time here...

? Florida does not have a qb commit or a recruit from texas

Reactions: Pub1986
Hazell and Co. were super fair to him and very slow with the hook.

They were, but he shouldnt have been out there in the first place. Pocket QB's, barring the top player nationwide, should always get a chance to develop on the sideline. It takes more time at that position unless you've got an awesome running game.

Yes, Shoop is a shitty OC. Yes, our coach hasn't proven himself

Thats basically my point. Bad coaches running a bad system throwing in an impressionable qb behind a team that executes poorly.

Sure he should have been able to throw more accurate balls. He was a large part of the reason we lost to ND last year. Although, Henry and AA didnt look much better after the first few games either.

The kid got accepted to freaking LSU, its not like he doesnt have capacity. Most on here wrote him off as a MAC qb.

Reactions: Mullah
? Florida does not have a qb commit or a recruit from texas
First, I checked all our commits on the Rivals board and all others show. Two at TCU, one at Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech and Houston while our highest rated Rival player, a DB, has not yet committed! Asked our backup regarding his commitment this morning and he replied that he gave them a “soft verbal” and indicated that he will take ALL his allowed fall visits before becoming a firm commitment anywhere! Maybe that is why he is not listed at this time, who knows, that is not his problem! He is not worried about it nor is our OC so you can rest easy with your claims since you are so genuine!

They were, but he shouldnt have been out there in the first place. Pocket QB's, barring the top player nationwide, should always get a chance to develop on the sideline. It takes more time at that position unless you've got an awesome running game.

Thats basically my point. Bad coaches running a bad system throwing in an impressionable qb behind a team that executes poorly.

Sure he should have been able to throw more accurate balls. He was a large part of the reason we lost to ND last year. Although, Henry and AA didnt look much better after the first few games either.

The kid got accepted to freaking LSU, its not like he doesnt have capacity. Most on here wrote him off as a MAC qb.

He hasn't played a down for LSU yet and he likely never will. They are in big time trouble at the qb spot and need camp arms And somebody to step up and play. If he couldn't beat out our guys, I doubt he could beat out theirs.

Your point is moot. The way Danny was treated was how all of our QBs have been treated. Yeah the line was bad....the staff threw him in to get experience. After he had that experience and even when his supporting cast was better he was still making off balance throws, had no pocket presence and was still missing WRs by LARGE margins.

I don't think anybody faults Danny for what happened in 2013, but his performance in 2014 was poor for a guy with 7 starts under his belt. I think the only thing this staff did wrong was bench him for the remainder of 2014. I definitely think there are games he could of helped us when Appleby was ineffective (Wisky, IU and NW come to mind) but just looking at him its clear that he has issues that he should have been past in 2014, even when some of them developed because of 2013.

He hasn't played a down for LSU yet and he likely never will. They are in big time trouble at the qb spot and need camp arms And somebody to step up and play. If he couldn't beat out our guys, I doubt he could beat out theirs.

Your point is moot. The way Danny was treated was how all of our QBs have been treated. Yeah the line was bad....the staff threw him in to get experience. After he had that experience and even when his supporting cast was better he was still making off balance throws, had no pocket presence and was still missing WRs by LARGE margins.

I don't think anybody faults Danny for what happened in 2013, but his performance in 2014 was poor for a guy with 7 starts under his belt. I think the only thing this staff did wrong was bench him for the remainder of 2014. I definitely think there are games he could of helped us when Appleby was ineffective (Wisky, IU and NW come to mind) but just looking at him its clear that he has issues that he should have been past in 2014, even when some of them developed because of 2013.
So, if he gets playing time and appears to have overcome his performance difficulties that will be all because of him or because maybe another coaching staff has the ability to get something out of an undeveloped talent that ours apparently have not been able to.......... that's what you're saying, right???

So, if he gets playing time and appears to have overcome his performance difficulties that will be all because of him or because maybe another coaching staff has the ability to get something out of an undeveloped talent that ours apparently have not been able to.......... that's what you're saying, right???

Even beyond that, there isnt a fan on this board that wouldnt get really excited about having a player with an LSU offer on the roster. Not to mention, ironically citing how we dont have talent.

Your point is moot. The way Danny was treated was how all of our QBs have been treated.

No its not. I feel bad for all our QBs. Theres been a lot made of disinterested players with half hearted efforts the last two years. QB has never been one. So this staff has guys with ability with a good attitude and still they regress.

I don't think anybody faults Danny for what happened in 2013, but his performance in 2014 was poor for a guy with 7 starts under his belt

Thats my point, the longer they play the worse they get. Danny played much better in 2013. Better short balls, deep balls, reads, etc.

It also doesnt help anyone that the other skill positions are constantly in flux, making it yet harder to build chemistry.

Yes. If all of those things happened then props to this kid and props to LSU for making something of him.

My point is that his mental issues manifested themselves so deeply that he would have plenty of time in the pocket and not be able to execute accurate or on time throws. That can change for sure.

Even beyond that, there isnt a fan on this board that wouldnt get really excited about having a player with an LSU offer on the roster. Not to mention, ironically citing how we dont have talent.

No its not. I feel bad for all our QBs. Theres been a lot made of disinterested players with half hearted efforts the last two years. QB has never been one. So this staff has guys with ability with a good attitude and still they regress.

Thats my point, the longer they play the worse they get. Danny played much better in 2013. Better short balls, deep balls, reads, etc.

It also doesnt help anyone that the other skill positions are constantly in flux, making it yet harder to build chemistry.

These are just your thoughts.

There is nothing actually to back this up besides your feelings.

These are just your thoughts.

There is nothing actually to back this up besides your feelings

No, theres been plenty, thats why I think it. You just disagree, and thats fine. Theres room for both points of view.

Theres been plentry written about how players are less defiant for Haz in year 2 from year 1, how players have repeatedly held meeting to get all the people that dont want to be there out, how they are working harder in the off season, etc.

Howard, Rouse, and Yancey have all had features on them generally not having good work ethics/being good teammates.

The coaches themselves have praised the qbs for their attitude and work ethic.

What more do you want?

No, theres been plenty, thats why I think it. You just disagree, and thats fine. Theres room for both points of view.

Theres been plentry written about how players are less defiant for Haz in year 2 from year 1, how players have repeatedly held meeting to get all the people that dont want to be there out, how they are working harder in the off season, etc.

Howard, Rouse, and Yancey have all had features on them generally not having good work ethics/being good teammates.

The coaches themselves have praised the qbs for their attitude and work ethic.

What more do you want?

To start rooting for the coaches....not against them.

Lol, yeah, I have become manically against them. I didn’t even get excited when I read the preview magazine cause nothing they say means much to me anymore.
Im a flag in the wind though. They give me something to cheer about, and I back off.

Lol, yeah, I have become manically against them. I didn’t even get excited when I read the preview magazine cause nothing they say means much to me anymore.
Im a flag in the wind though. They give me something to cheer about, and I back off.

Here's the problem I have with Etling....

I think he did a lot of good and right in 2013. He had a poor at best supporting cast and suffered for it. He got hit a lot, he didn't win a lot of games....but I also think he took big steps forward through the year.

Fast forward to 2014, he's short arming throws, has happy feet in the pocket even if he's got plenty of time and is easily rattled when he does get hit. None of that really seems to be an issue with coaching he's getting to me. Blaming his lack of progress on the coaching staff is unfair to the staff. Now again, I don't think we have the best OC in the world, or even the 100th best....but he's not the one out there making the suspect decisions and throws that Etling was in 2014. Yes, he was worse in 2014....but not necessarily from coaching factors. I seriously doubt Shoop is telling him to underthrow WRs. I doubt Shoop is telling him to leave the pocket on plays where he has plenty of time in the pocket. I doubt Shoop was telling him to have poor in game footwork and make throws consistently off-balance.

Here's the problem I have with Etling....

Yeah, thats fair. No p5 qb should ever have that bad of mechanics. He was playing average high school ball there for a while. Beyond that, I actually liked the offensive schemes we tried with him while he was throwing crazy inaccurate balls. I reference 2013 because he has shown me he can have good mechanics. And even if Etling was that bad, the coaches should have caught that, realized they put too much on him, and shirted him. You cant field a guy that bad

My thing is that Henry and Applebee both regressed similarly, and all three qbs made public statements about how what the coaching staff is asking them to do is not above them. Its just that the play on the field says different. And lots of coaches at Purdue before Schoop spend a lot of time on fundamentals. To me, thats clearly on coaches and players. Although Applebees arm motion looked a lot better and he didnt throw a ton of knuckle balls this spring. We shall see...

FWIW, I too believe he was rushed into playing instead of red-shirting his first year and that might have been a little favoritism! None the less with some of his long completions, some when the game was decided, he was dubbed the next great Purdue QB by the media and our Sports Department showing up in too many stories, ad's, printed and internet material, etc leading up to his second season. Maybe he let it get to his head, benefited from some dumb luck in his first season, asked to do things he was not capable of, received poor coaching or advice, who knows if any or all contributed to his play in the 2nd season. He certainly took too many hits, threw too many bad short balls and it seemed like he lost the huddle and his confidence as season two progressed. We may get to see if it was him or us if after sitting a year and rebuilding his confidence, if he wins the QB position at LSU with definitely better lineman, backs and receivers than ours. Of course his competition at QB will also be better too and they do like to run with the QB's too if they can in the SEC! Take a breath everyone, wish him luck and see what happens in Baton Rouge next spring and fall!

wouldn't you think an athlete at a major college, in any sport, would realize what they needed to work on, and try to improve on their own

wouldn't you think an athlete at a major college, in any sport, would realize what they needed to work on, and try to improve on their own

not always, he still is an 18-22 year old kid.... I don't know about you, but i didn't think very rationally back then.

Applebee and Etling were both talked about by the coaches and media as the 'turn they lights off when you leave' types. Always watching film and working on stuff together.

I think we have effort issues in a lot of places, but just reading the preview mags and free articles makes it pretty clear its not at QB.

For whatever reason, QBs drop back and dont seem comfortable under these coaches. Not trying to point at the coaches, but the scheme has changed considerably 4 times, so it didnt feel right to say 'system'

Amazing!!! Struggled at Purdue and now gets a shot at LSU. I, too, thought would end up in the MAC. I guess Cam knows the family? At least that's what I heard.

As for the OP, Etling would be behind Tre at ISU. Tre had an incredible year taking them to the National Championship Game.

Etling was the most talented QB on the roster. Just didnt work at Purdue. It happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT