ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you stand on the Urban Meyer situation?

I didn't start the political BS. I replied to it. and I'm here to say you can't talk about the ethics of a person or a university without also talking about the ethics of our society. The two go hand in hand. Urb is a reflection and product of our current society. The first words that came out were not should Urb do the right thing and resign, but rather, what does his contract state? and what's his buyout clause? if our society and its leaders have no ethics, how can we expect Urb to have any either? And how can we ask Urb to resign if others who have committed greater offenses are applauded for their actions?

Sorry, Bigs, that's not how the thread reads. There was nothing political until you injected Trump into the thread.

Blowhardius T Bigs has spoken. If you disagree you are a bully.

And if you skip over every bloviated bigs post you're sane.

Sorry, Bigs, that's not how the thread reads. There was nothing political until you injected Trump into the thread.

Unfortunately, you're mistaken.

Spradecki made this thread political. Unfortunately , his post was so vulger , the moderators deleted it . But fortunately, Johnny Doe boiler saw it, copied it and replied to it before it was deleted so that we al l could see what the deleted post contained.

So as you can see by my post, I replied to johnny Doe Boiler's post which was in reply to a vulgur . political post made by Spradecki. the only difference was his post was deleted, and mine remained. the question is who deleted Spradecki's original post in this thread?

it stands to reason if someone interjects a political thought into a thread, that it will trigger a response. But I wasn't the person who first interjected a political post in this thread. I did, however respond, as did Johnny Doe.

it also stands to reason when you initiate a thread asking our opinion about someone's ethics, it naturally raises a question about our society's ethics and it transcends sports. if I were to talk about a person's ethics before he became a politician, would that be acceptable and not political? if I were to say that Urb has the ethics of a lying NY businessman who later had a TV show, , would that have been a better choice of words?

in essence, I'm doing the same thing Urb did. urb is here to stay. although his AD was already on the hot seat because of the wrestling problems. .

Blowhardius T Bigs has spoken. If you disagree you are a bully.

And if you skip over every bloviated bigs post you're sane.

if you don't like my posts, why do you read them and reply to them? You've obviously read more than one of my posts. Seems like you're wasting your valuable time.

Didn't reply to them, didn't read eight paragraphs of Bigs. I make a special attempt to scroll through your wordy ridiculousness. You are why the internet sucks.

Unfortunately, you're mistaken.

Spradecki made this thread political. Unfortunately , his post was so vulger , the moderators deleted it . But fortunately, Johnny Doe boiler saw it, copied it and replied to it before it was deleted so that we al l could see what the deleted post contained.

So as you can see by my post, I replied to johnny Doe Boiler's post which was in reply to a vulgur . political post made by Spradecki. the only difference was his post was deleted, and mine remained. the question is who deleted Spradecki's original post in this thread?

it stands to reason if someone interjects a political thought into a thread, that it will trigger a response. But I wasn't the person who first interjected a political post in this thread. I did, however respond, as did Johnny Doe.

it also stands to reason when you initiate a thread asking our opinion about someone's ethics, it naturally raises a question about our society's ethics and it transcends sports. if I were to talk about a person's ethics before he became a politician, would that be acceptable and not political? if I were to say that Urb has the ethics of a lying NY businessman who later had a TV show, , would that have been a better choice of words?

in essence, I'm doing the same thing Urb did. urb is here to stay. although his AD was already on the hot seat because of the wrestling problems. .

Gotcha. Now I see it.

Doesn't matter where you stand. It appears O$U has lifted the corner of the rug and swept it all out of sight.

Didn't reply to them, didn't read eight paragraphs of Bigs. I make a special attempt to scroll through your wordy ridiculousness. You are why the internet sucks.
Ignore button is your friend. Only guy I have done that to. Makes these boards a lot more readable.

and that's the problem we face today. Everything including sports has become involved in and revolved around politics. you may want to separate the two, but politics is now taking over our sports and dictating to them how to play their game, and how they should act and what they should say and do. .

Look at the NBA, NFL, MLB the World Cup, March madness, College football playoffs, the Olympics, and the WWE. Politics and $$$$ have taken over all of these sports. Who really wants football games played on Thursday nights or played in London or Mexico City? The WWE has become a parody of our society.

Should we really expect athletes and coaches to be held to a higher standard than the standard established by our society and leaders?

Wol, I don’t set my personal standards based on political comparisons. So yes, I do believe University Representatives should be held accountable for knowingly lying. Making excuses for bad behavior by comparing it to other bad behavior is an excuse I would expect from my 5 year old grandchild....and it’s still unacceptable from him too.

What obligation does he have to "the press"? Please elucidate me.

His obligation is to his University and the students that are there to be educated. Seems like the obligation to not lie when acting as their representative is pretty clear cut. But your question makes my point perfectly...

His obligation is to his University and the students that are there to be educated. Seems like the obligation to not lie when acting as their representative is pretty clear cut. But your question makes my point perfectly...
He's not a teacher. He's a coach. He may have been advised by the university to say that. You are assuming a lot.

He's not a teacher. He's a coach. He may have been advised by the university to say that. You are assuming a lot.

If he was advised to lie to the media OSU needs new leadership higher up the chain than just Its head football coach. But you know that saying “ If you have to ask, you won’t understand”? Pretty much covers this discussion we’re having on ethical behavior.... Hope your day is a great one.

Reactions: NVboiler
If he was advised to lie to the media OSU needs new leadership higher up the chain than just Its head football coach. But you know that saying “ If you have to ask, you won’t understand”? Pretty much covers this discussion we’re having on ethical behavior.... Hope your day is a great one.
good luck to you in your life where you never lie about anything ever. lol...

Wol, I don’t set my personal standards based on political comparisons. So yes, I do believe University Representatives should be held accountable for knowingly lying. Making excuses for bad behavior by comparing it to other bad behavior is an excuse I would expect from my 5 year old grandchild....and it’s still unacceptable from him too.

I have my own standards and my own ethics. I don't try to impose my ethics or standards on others. Rather, I try to encourage others to incorporate ethics and ethical decision making and behavior in their life. however, I have noticed many others in sports and political related fields do not seem to share those same standards. I believe people in positions of leadership should have the highest ethical standards. Unfortunately, I have witnessed, many that do not. Some of the worst liars in history have been military generals, politicians and sports general managers, coaches, and athletic directors, . Even used car salesmen have improved their ethical standing in the world.

Each day I read from a parent how much a coach lied to their son., when recruiting him. Each year I see a player commit and then politely de-commit when the coach tells he there's no room left on the scholarship roster for him. Each year I see coaches withhold information about a player's true playing status due to academic or injury or drugs. Each year I hear coaches talk about how this year will be a championship contending team. After a while, it all seems like all the coach and college administration is trying to do is sell more tickets and generate more revenue. and the pro coaches and GM's are even worse. I'm a Brewers and Bucks fan. I've learned to anticipate and expect the annual lies. I've lost both confidence and trust in the words coming out of most athletic coaches and administrators.. My son is a college athlete.

I'm also involved in the scouting program where one would expect ethics and standards to be very high. Yet, I'm constantly made aware of the cheating. lying and thievery that exists within Scouting. And this starts in boys who are 7 years old, and parents and leaders who are older than myself. I've caught scouting leaders who lied about hiring practices, and others who hacked scouting web sites and admitted it and boasted about it.

Urb lied to the media. Was it the first time he ever lied to the media? I doubt it. Will it be the last time? No. Was he told by his administration to lie? maybe.

it's obvious our society doesn't care much about ethics today. Should I hold Urb to a higher standard than Izzo? a higher standard than my Illinois governor? a higher standard than my military commander? a higher standard than my high school English teacher that taught me ?

two weeks ago, I witnessed a 9 year old boy who lost his camera at Cub Scout Summer camp and none of the other cub scouts, parents or leaders admitted to taking it or returned it or bothered to help him look for it. He had been a very nice boy who had sort of become the camp photographer taking over 200 photos of his camp adventure. I spent 5 hours with that boy retracing his steps looking for his camera. I was in one of the pictures he took. I know that camera was not lost, it was stolen by those who pledged an oath to be trustworthy and honest. And I saw the look on that boy's face when he realized some other person he trusted stole his camera. . I'm sorry, I'm kind of down on society , right now.

and I look for somebody to take the lead to place ethics back in peoples' lives. And I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it lately. I'll agree with you, Urb displayed poor ethical judgement in his lies. He should provide a better example, because many naïve people look up to and want to emulate him. But he's no worse or better than the people around me or the people around him.. if you find fault with Urb, there are millions of others just as bad, and some even worse.

I doubt many will read this post. My hope is at least somebody does. if one person reads this and takes action to improve this world, then my time dedicated to writing it was worth it.

I read your entire post and I totally understand your viewpoint. Has something changed so drastically in our society that ethical behavior is no longer the norm? It seems like not a day passes without a report of a person cheating or stealing or violating our common norms of decency in some outrageous way. It is very discouraging but I truly don't think it the majority of us that are behaving this way although there are certainly more than in the past. Many more!

So Boilergal, stop hating on Urb unless you are willing to do the following:

1. Disavow Trump
2. Call out all of Obama's lies
3. I guess throw in the Clintons as well
4. Do something about all of the Creaning going on in college sports
5. Find that poor scouts camera and have a talk with the parents of the perpetrator.

I guess then you can have the right to expect people not to lie to you. Until then, you are part of the problem.
TIC in case you needed that

So I get this notice that my thread had been moved. I go back to read the thread to find out why. I'm going through all of the posts and can't figure out why its been moved. Then it hits me - I had blocked Reed Bigelow months ago so I can't see his bat shlt crazy posts. Thanks for derailing my thread Reed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT