ADVERTISEMENT

What if purdue never went cheap on a coach?

banshee90

True Freshman
Nov 19, 2011
One of our most talented years post hope was actually hopes first year. We had one of our best qbs in elliot, a great runner in bolden, great wr in K smith, and kyle adams was a serviceable TE. Almost forgot Wiggs.

On the defensive side of the ball we had Kerrigan, Short, and a solid lb in holland.

This was a team that beat #5 OSU and played so many close games including: ND, @Ore, Northwestern, and MSU.

So with this team I believe a good coach would have been able to be quite successful a lot more than what Danny hope did with that team. Hypothetically the other coach goes 9-3 and earns a upper tier non bcs bowl game: now fans are excited = buying up season tickets = morgans seeing $). The other side of the coin is recruits see a competent coach who is very close to having a contender.

Now on the recruiting front we start competing with B1G teams instead of the MAC. 2010 will see a drop off as we have to play a fresh qb as elliot graduates and Terbush is terrible/academically ineligible. Purdue goes 6-6 and wins the pizza bowl. The bright spot here is that we still have a solid team and picked up a couple of good qb recruits.

2011 is the turning point it is the season that decides the direction of purdue was it the new coach that got them to play at that level or just a coach winning with the great joe tillers team. I feel we go on an upswing as our recruiting is above average B1G team. We go another 9-3 season. At the end of the season morgan burke having paid Matt painter a boat load can't afford the new coach and we are off looking for a new football coach.

2012 I think we are able to steal butch jones from Cinci as we have a solid team and he has really done well picking up good teams and keeping them performing.

Originally posted by banshee90:
One of our most talented years post hope was actually hopes first year. We had one of our best qbs in elliot, a great runner in bolden, great wr in K smith, and kyle adams was a serviceable TE. Almost forgot Wiggs.

On the defensive side of the ball we had Kerrigan, Short, and a solid lb in holland.

This was a team that beat #5 OSU and played so many close games including: ND, @Ore, Northwestern, and MSU.

So with this team I believe a good coach would have been able to be quite successful a lot more than what Danny hope did with that team. Hypothetically the other coach goes 9-3 and earns a upper tier non bcs bowl game: now fans are excited = buying up season tickets = morgans seeing $). The other side of the coin is recruits see a competent coach who is very close to having a contender.

Now on the recruiting front we start competing with B1G teams instead of the MAC. 2010 will see a drop off as we have to play a fresh qb as elliot graduates and Terbush is terrible/academically ineligible. Purdue goes 6-6 and wins the pizza bowl. The bright spot here is that we still have a solid team and picked up a couple of good qb recruits.

2011 is the turning point it is the season that decides the direction of purdue was it the new coach that got them to play at that level or just a coach winning with the great joe tillers team. I feel we go on an upswing as our recruiting is above average B1G team. We go another 9-3 season. At the end of the season morgan burke having paid Matt painter a boat load can't afford the new coach and we are off looking for a new football coach.

2012 I think we are able to steal butch jones from Cinci as we have a solid team and he has really done well picking up good teams and keeping them performing.
Who is this hypothetical other coach?

Also, Elliot took quite a few games to turn into a good qb. He lost the Oregon game and probably cost us NIU and ND as well.

Realistically, when will Purdue be good again? They need to pull a Baylor and invest some serious money into the program, or it will continue to be a laughable program. Baylor was god awful until 2010. I know it's in Texas, which certainly helps, but it is the perfect example of what putting some money behind a program can do. Art Briles as a coach doesn't hurt either.

Solid LB in Holland? Kid got killed on the inside slant EVERY TIME. Go back and watch the MTSU opening day game. MTSU just abused him all day. Russell Wilson did too.

Elliot, as nat said, cost Purdue two games at least with giving up 10 points on his own to Oregon and throwing a horrific INT versus Northwestern after a great goal line stand (not to mention missing a game winning TD pass).

Lets not forget that the team the year before went 4-8, so there were so gaping holes in places on the roster.

Remember, if Burke always hired the more expensive guy, we would have gotten Glen Mason instead of Joe Tiller.

This post was edited on 4/6 11:48 AM by Bullwhip Griffith

Solid meaning he wasn't athletically gifted but he put a lot of heart in the game plenty of guys like that have been coached to be successful. I like how you seem to think that a coach couldn't have won that game because "Elliot" gave up the lead. A better coach team on both sides of the ball would have won those games. Poor coaching led to an undisciplined football team that made silly mistakes, mental errors, and bad decisions.

Gary Nord couldn't even dissect Purdue's scrub defense players.

Lol. Nord was a good OC. When Elliott finally got accustomed to the offense, they were solid. The last two years,he figured out we had no line and gameplanned accordingly.

Solid meaning he wasn't athletically gifted but he put a lot of heart in the game plenty of guys like that have been coached to be successful. I like how you seem to think that a coach couldn't have won that game because "Elliot" gave up the lead. A better coach team on both sides of the ball would have won those games. Poor coaching led to an undisciplined football team that made silly mistakes, mental errors, and bad decisions.

Go back and watch the Oregon game....he gave it away...no one coaches throwing into coverage or holding the ball like a loaf of bread in the pocket.

Saying he have up 10 was nice....he technically was responsible for Oregon getting more like 17....and lest we forget Keith Smith threw the clutch TD to give Purdue a chance to tie it.

Elliot's Int vs NU was a crazy call, if I remember it was from the1 yd. line and our D lived on the field that first half. One of the main things a coach should do is to put the players in a better position to win a game, that call was too risky there.

It is not so much about cheap, it is hiring the right guy.

We are paying the guy now. 2 years and I am not sure if he is the right guy. We have tripled our win total from 1 to 3, but the offense has been the worst I have ever watched in person in 30 years of watching competitive football. 3-9 could at least be entertaining. It is hard to watch.

Danny Hope worked on the cheap, but I think Morgan could have offered the Hope deal to Brock Spack who would have taken it because he would have been happy to be here. Had they hired Spack over Hope, I truly believe we would be around the neighborhood of a 8-4 or 7-5 team right now. You know, a team that expects to beat MAC teams. I think that first Hope team, the 5-7 team that started out 1-5 would have been an 8-4 team under Spack. I really do. I still think we lose @ Oregon and vs. ND. I think we beat NIU and Northwestern. I think we win at Minnesota. I think if we had won a few early we would NOT have beaten OSU at home, but do think we would have beaten Michigan State late in the year. Imagine an 8-4 vs. 5-7 and the momentum it could have created. Spack would have never had Rob Henry at QB, probably would not have recruited Robert Mavre to transfer, so the unknown QB would have been the deal. I imagine Spack would have brought in a good OC. Like I said we may be an 8-4 team today, which is probably our ceiling.

The pro of the recent run has been that I will NEVER complain about a 7-5 team again.

Joe Holland got abused for 4 years. I agree with you as he was not solid at all.

Joe Holland was a good enough and smart enough college linebacker to be on the practice squads of the Buccaneers and 49ers for two year. Most college players never get a shot at the NFL and of those who do most do not get as far as Joe got. You all obviously have the right to your opinion but NFL talent evaluators who get paid for their opinions and presumably know a lot more about football skills than those of us who simply are fans clearly had a different opinion of Joe.

game planning 3rd and 8 lets go with a screen pass. Hmm caleb terbush lets have him do some QB zone read plays they seem to work never. The play calling was boring and rarely ever worked. With are non factor in passing we might as well have rolled into power I formations and maybe some double wing sets. Our best WR were used as RB more often than not. I guess thats a mark of a great QB Coach/Coord.

game planning 3rd and 8 lets go with a screen pass. Hmm caleb terbush lets have him do some QB zone read plays they seem to work never. The play calling was boring and rarely ever worked. With are non factor in passing we might as well have rolled into power I formations and maybe some double wing sets. Our best WR were used as RB more often than not. I guess thats a mark of a great QB Coach/Coord.

We had no line. When we could block they went downfield. We we couldn't they threw screens.

Try again?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

did you read my entire post. We weren't fooling anyone. If you aren't going deep you need to be efficient were gary nord OC team efficient? No. If you can't throw deep and aren't efficient maybe you should be creative. The most creativity I saw was the Rob Henry first start against NWer then it just stagnated. You can't blame the line being bad for a few years constantly on the players you have to blame the coaches that got the kids there.

If Gary nord was so good how come no one has picked him up? He was a cheap pickup from FAU at least pickup someone from like the midmajor level.

did you read my entire post. We weren't fooling anyone. If you aren't going deep you need to be efficient were gary nord OC team efficient? No. If you can't throw deep and aren't efficient maybe you should be creative. The most creativity I saw was the Rob Henry first start against NWer then it just stagnated. You can't blame the line being bad for a few years constantly on the players you have to blame the coaches that got the kids there.

If Gary nord was so good how come no one has picked him up? He was a cheap pickup from FAU at least pickup someone from like the midmajor level.
He had a back injury that rendered him unable to work.

i always felt the bigger coaching problem wasn't Hope, it was the bargain-basement coaching staff. we had to pull a DC in from canada for crying out loug

If you look at that staff, they did not go on to do much.

OC Nord is not in football. DC Landholmm is at Tennessee Tech and Tibesar went to the Bears and got fired after a year, had a non coaching deal at Northwestern, and now just got hired at Wisconsin as OLB coach. Jackson and Higgins went to UTEP. Shawn Clark at Kent State. Gibboney (disaster) at Western Michigan. So no all-stars really or guys jumping to SEC jobs or NFL jobs.

Originally posted by Laxcats:
Joe Holland was a good enough and smart enough college linebacker to be on the practice squads of the Buccaneers and 49ers for two year. Most college players never get a shot at the NFL and of those who do most do not get as far as Joe got. You all obviously have the right to your opinion but NFL talent evaluators who get paid for their opinions and presumably know a lot more about football skills than those of us who simply are fans clearly had a different opinion of Joe.
First off, he spent a grand total of two weeks on practice squads...quite an achievement, but pretty telling that the staffs saw something in that one week to make him expendable and that still doesn't mean that teams didn't abuse him on the inside slant in college.

Originally posted by Chop HO:
i always felt the bigger coaching problem wasn't Hope, it was the bargain-basement coaching staff. we had to pull a DC in from canada for crying out loug
Hope had to do his shopping from the right side of the menu that's for sure.

Originally posted by SDBoiler1:
Don't forget the tunnel screen that only seemed to work against tO$U for some reason.

Tunnel screen needed a wr that could break the first tackle. Valentin was good at that. Ross not so much

Nord knew after the shit show purdue offense he wasn't getting another oc job and he was getting too old to go back to position coaching. So he decided to sue purdue. Who wouldn't want to hire this guy.

Nord knew after the shit show purdue offense he wasn't getting another oc job and he was getting too old to go back to position coaching. So he decided to sue purdue. Who wouldn't want to hire this guy.

Lol. Mmkay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT