ADVERTISEMENT

What defines a good college coach?

woggy718

All-American
Nov 13, 2007
Greenwood, IN
www.catalystinsgrp.com
Another post about recruiting and developing players got me thinking. How would you define a good coach? Is it a Thad Matta or John Calimari who are great at recruiting preordained supererstars or is it A Bo Ryan or a Shaka Smart Or a Brad Stevens (And as much as it pains me to say it, even Tom Izzo) who are able to consistently exceed people's expectations?

Obviously I am biased for our own coach Painter. I think he almost (not always) always exceeds people's expectations and is great at getting the most out of his players. Getting average players to achieve above average results by getting them to play as a team.

unfortunately, recruiting ability is now a huge factor in terms of what defines a "good" coach, because, at the end of the day, talent usually wins.

With that being said, imo, I still think the best coach is someone who can get the most out of existing talent/lead a team to outperform its talent level.

There are three components to coaching IMO, recruiting, player development and game management. A good coach is at least serviceable in each and exceptional in at least one. A great coach is at least serviceable in each and exceptional in two. A phenomonal coach is exceptional in all three.

That's a good list. I would agree with your components if it's just the true "coaching aspect" we are talking about. If we go deeper than that maybe including integrity, player buy-in and trust, and ownership of results. Maybe I'm heading a wrong direction with this from the intent. There are some great coaches who are just jerks and that's what I remember them for, not the performance.

Reactions: Schnelk
Another post about recruiting and developing players got me thinking. How would you define a good coach? Is it a Thad Matta or John Calimari who are great at recruiting preordained supererstars or is it A Bo Ryan or a Shaka Smart Or a Brad Stevens (And as much as it pains me to say it, even Tom Izzo) who are able to consistently exceed people's expectations?

Obviously I am biased for our own coach Painter. I think he almost (not always) always exceeds people's expectations and is great at getting the most out of his players. Getting average players to achieve above average results by getting them to play as a team.

Ability to hitch up your pants mid-game?

Reactions: woggy718
There are three components to coaching IMO, recruiting, player development and game management. A good coach is at least serviceable in each and exceptional in at least one. A great coach is at least serviceable in each and exceptional in two. A phenomonal coach is exceptional in all three.
This.

Thus Crean = Average

Now Piss Poor .....well he is working hard to become that.

I think I would add "program management" to your list. This is sort of a catch-all category that includes everything from player discipline to ensuring they stay on track academically to glad-handing with donors to kissing babies like a politician. Coaches at major universities - rightly or wrongly - are going to be accountable for all aspects of the program while they're at a school. They might not be the day-to-day person responsible for watching over the "program management" catch-all duties, but to be successful, they have to have oversight of them embrace that area just like recruiting and X's & O's.

ADVERTISEMENT