ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Jack Wegher

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Newest recruit per twitter. Running back from Florida. Welcome to Purdue University, young man.

Reactions: D A Y
Comes from a football family. Per this write-up:

His father, Rick, starred at South Dakota State and played professionally in Canada.His brother, Brandon, was a key factor in Iowa's 2010 Orange Bowl victory.But what wasn't always a sure thing was where Jack would play.Listed at the athlete position on IMG Academy's roster, the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Wegher has worn many hats.Last year, he was stuck behind University of Alabama recruit Bo Scarbrough on the running back depth chart and had to bide his time."He came to us, had a lot of playing experience as a freshman from where he came from, and came here and had to understand that Bo was probably going to carry most of the load," IMG head coach Chris Weinke said. "So I think he learned a lot just from Bo's approach, the way that he played the game (and) the way that he practiced."This season, Wegher is sharing carries out of the backfield with Tony Jones and Taven Bardow.But that hasn't stopped the South Dakota native from tearing up opposing defenses to the tune of 8.77 yards per carry and a team-leading 10 rushing touchdowns."He's able to, obviously, run the football with success," Weinke said. "But we can also utilize him in the passing game, so I think he's one of the more unique guys on our football team."After picking up tidbits from Scarbrough in 2013, Wegher returned for his junior season ready to find his niche with the Ascenders (7-1), who travel to face the top-ranked Class 3A Clearwater Central Catholic Marauders (8-0) on Friday.Mix in running backs coach Roy Upchurch's involvement, and Wegher has had a breakout campaign."When he has the football, he's a monster," said Upchurch, who played running back at the University of Alabama. "He's a bowling ball; one man can't bring him down."

Reactions: Heiner
Watching his highlights, he seems to be the player the coaches have tabbed to be Anthrop's replacement as that slot receiver with speed and some power. He isn't as fast nor is he as shifty as Anthrop but he is a bigger body than Trae Hart. With him enrolling mid-year, he should factor in to playing time in the 2016 season.

Watching his highlights, he seems to be the player the coaches have tabbed to be Anthrop's replacement as that slot receiver with speed and some power. He isn't as fast nor is he as shifty as Anthrop but he is a bigger body than Trae Hart. With him enrolling mid-year, he should factor in to playing time in the 2016 season.
wish Hart would have shirted, in regards to Wegher, would be nice to see him used like Vinny was. Would love to see that zig route, that Vinny made a living on, utilized by this OC. Glad we got Jack.

Newest recruit per twitter. Running back from Florida. Welcome to Purdue University, young man.
This kid looks like a beast in his highlight tape.He looks like an outstanding runner,receiver,and can even throw passes,like Leroy Keyes used to do.

Kid looks pretty good and you can't argue with the level of competition he sees, even just every day in practice. That alone prepares him for the next level more than your average high school player.

Tape looks good. Doesn't have the siZe but seems to have everything else.

Seems like size has been a priority for this staff at WR, and Ive been glad to see that. I really like having a couple not tall guys out there one you get your size established.

Kid looks pretty good and you can't argue with the level of competition he sees, even just every day in practice. That alone prepares him for the next level more than your average high school player.

Agreed. I think his team was rated like 17th in the nation at one time by USA Today.

Oh, and interesting to me that he commented on liking 'facilities they are building'

ADVERTISEMENT