ADVERTISEMENT

Weatherford

I think with Hill, PJ and Weatherford we will be fine at the PG spot............

Hill will help with experience, rebounding and scoring when needed....

PJ will help stretch the defense with his outside shooting and i am sure the China trip helped him a bunch....

Weatherford will be an all out energy guy on defense.....every time on floor be like Basil Smotherman and leave it all out there.

Next year Purdue will not need a 5th year transer at PG......but I can say, glad we did have Sporty and Octeus come to Purdue...they were true Boilermakers and did well.

Boiler Up!

still would not be surprised to see GW redshirt this year. Won't be many minutes to go around regardless of how hard he is working

I think with Hill, PJ and Weatherford we will be fine at the PG spot............

Hill will help with experience, rebounding and scoring when needed....

PJ will help stretch the defense with his outside shooting and i am sure the China trip helped him a bunch....

Weatherford will be an all out energy guy on defense.....every time on floor be like Basil Smotherman and leave it all out there.

Next year Purdue will not need a 5th year transer at PG......but I can say, glad we did have Sporty and Octeus come to Purdue...they were true Boilermakers and did well.

Boiler Up!

Did Thompson already go on that trip to China? Maybe I missed it, but if he has gone, were there any reports on how he played?

I just hope one of these (non CS) frosh is SO good Painter cannot deny them the minutes.....

still would not be surprised to see GW redshirt this year. Won't be many minutes to go around regardless of how hard he is working
True Cevol03 and i respect your opinion, but i think that Matt Painter wants to spread out the PG spot...so I see Weatherford playing this year..agree it could be limited minutes, but with Hill coming off injury and PJ's size...I think Weatherford will be needed.

that would leave the following spread out for 2016:
1) PJ Junior
2) Weeatherford Sophomore
3) 2016 guard Freshman

Again time will tell.....

Now Cline I see taking a red shirt, especially because his parents and Painter have already discussed it to add bulk for the Big Ten play grind and to work on his shot as he adds muscle.

With the log jam at the 2 spot with Mathias and Stephens...would be a smart move by MP...but heck with injury or need he may also play.

I am not a fan of seeing Mathias or Davis play point....Hill, PJ and Weatherford will do just fine....

I will be fun to see the staff develop these guys and plug and play them...

Boiler Up!

Did Thompson already go on that trip to China? Maybe I missed it, but if he has gone, were there any reports on how he played?
I saw that he just got back a few days ago and had the fun delayed travel coming home all of us business people experience weekly on our trips....long layovers, etc.....

I have not seen any updates on how he played though....

True Cevol03 and i respect your opinion, but i think that Matt Painter wants to spread out the PG spot...so I see Weatherford playing this year..agree it could be limited minutes, but with Hill coming off injury and PJ's size...I think Weatherford will be needed.

1) PJ Junior
3) 2016 guard Freshman

Now Cline I see taking a red shirt, especially because his parents and Painter have already discussed it to add bulk for the Big Ten play grind and to work on his shot as he adds muscle.

With the log jam at the 2 spot with Mathias and Stephens...would be a smart move by MP...but heck with injury or need he may also play.

I am not a fan of seeing Mathias or Davis play point....Hill, PJ and Weatherford will do just fine....

Boiler Up!
52Chevy, this is the most plausible scenario I have read on here. It makes100% sense. Who knows if this will be the situation, but it very well could be the most reasonable outcome.

:cool:

Reactions: Misfit1
Good to hear he's in the gym. Seems like he will need to work on his game quite a bit to be an effective big ten player, especially on the offensive end.

1) PJ Junior
3) 2016 guard Freshman

Boiler Up!
With the way KS & DM have shot the ball last year, that would be a mistake. Cline could start.

It annoys me when people make statements without quantifying them. A lot of times people aren't specific so that later they can point back to their vague comments and say they were right. Not saying the OP is doing this, but saying "We all will be surprised by him" just doesn't tell anybody much. Let's put some predictions to it.

I would be surprised if he averaged 10 minutes a game this year. There's just too much talent.
Kramer averaged 24 mpg as a Freshman but that was on a team that was a 9 seed. I think we're going to be in the 3/4 seed range this year.

My prediction:
5mpg, 1.5ppg, 1 hustle play a game, and 1 early game where he gets 12 pts, 5 reb, 1 bl, 2 stl which causes people to call me out saying I was wrong.

I think his main contribution this year will be to keep the intensity level up in practice. Seems like a good guy to have on the team.

Reactions: RMBURNS
With the way KS & DM have shot the ball last year, that would be a mistake. Cline could start.

Why do people insist on saying that KS is not a good shooter? He's on pace to shatter Purdue's 3 point record. He shot 38.4% from long distance last year. That's not Cuonzo Martin territory, but I hope people realize that Hummel shot 38.3% his senior year. Moore shot 34% his sophomore year and he's the all time leading 3 point shooter in school history.

I highly doubt Cline can walk in and instantly be an upgrade.

Reactions: Misfit1
Why do people insist on saying that KS is not a good shooter? He's on pace to shatter Purdue's 3 point record. He shot 38.4% from long distance last year. That's not Cuonzo Martin territory, but I hope people realize that Hummel shot 38.3% his senior year. Moore shot 34% his sophomore year and he's the all time leading 3 point shooter in school history.

Stop using facts! Unfair.

Although that means 61.6% of the time he shot a 3 pointer last year, someone immediately posted on here that he can't shoot.

It's easy to latch onto something that's not necessarily true. Kendall started off last season on a pretty ridiculous pace - and he had a bit of a slump. But he still shot well. Obviously a finger injury for a shooter is a big deal and I'm sure it affected him. It's the same for people who say he's a lazy passer - he's not really, he just passes on the perimeter, so when there is a turnover, it probably results in fast break opportunities, which are easy to remember. And so any time it happens, it's a "there it goes again"……and it's the same with people who say on here "Purdue is horrible at inbounding the ball". Yes, it happens sometimes - but it happens for every team sometimes. I don't think it's more of an issue than almost any other team.

It's easy to latch onto something that's not necessarily true. Kendall started off last season on a pretty ridiculous pace - and he had a bit of a slump. But he still shot well. Obviously a finger injury for a shooter is a big deal and I'm sure it affected him. It's the same for people who say he's a lazy passer - he's not really, he just passes on the perimeter, so when there is a turnover, it probably results in fast break opportunities, which are easy to remember. And so any time it happens, it's a "there it goes again"……and it's the same with people who say on here "Purdue is horrible at inbounding the ball". Yes, it happens sometimes - but it happens for every team sometimes. I don't think it's more of an issue than almost any other team.

I think you're saying that people use the availability heuristic to conclude Stephens is a lazy passer. And then every time it happens again, they suffer from confirmation bias.

I guess I did learn something from Kahneman's "Thinking".

It annoys me when people make statements without quantifying them. A lot of times people aren't specific so that later they can point back to their vague comments and say they were right. Not saying the OP is doing this, but saying "We all will be surprised by him" just doesn't tell anybody much. Let's put some predictions to it.

I would be surprised if he averaged 10 minutes a game this year. There's just too much talent.
Kramer averaged 24 mpg as a Freshman but that was on a team that was a 9 seed. I think we're going to be in the 3/4 seed range this year.

My prediction:
5mpg, 1.5ppg, 1 hustle play a game, and 1 early game where he gets 12 pts, 5 reb, 1 bl, 2 stl which causes people to call me out saying I was wrong.

I think his main contribution this year will be to keep the intensity level up in practice. Seems like a good guy to have on the team.
As the OP I said "We all will be surprised by him" that line was stated because of all the down talk and why we offered him? I like the kid I believe he will bust his a$$ out there, the kid loves to play, but in no way am I looking for the "I told you so" if he fails then so be it, I just like his working out on campus already BTFU!!!!!!!

The ONLY possible surprise by Weatherford is that he has an offensive game. We all know he can D it up.

Reactions: ibew481
That's not Cuonzo Martin territory,".

And people forget the Cuonzo was no threat whatsoever until his junior year. IIRC he had something like only 7 threes total until then. I'm stilling waiting for a 100% healthy and 100% focused KS. If we get that this season, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't 40+% for the season.

Reactions: BandofBoilers

I think you're saying that people use the availability heuristic to conclude Stephens is a lazy passer. And then every time it happens again, they suffer from confirmation bias.

I guess I did learn something from Kahneman's "Thinking".
I think KS is a good shooter when he is on. He has games where he hits 5 or 6, then he has other games where he hits nothing. Hummel always contributed in some way.....KS does not.

Is Weatherford a steal the ball and take it down and slam it type? You know who I'm thinking of here, right?

I expect KS to have a breakout season, but Kline is a better passer now and seems to have great court 3awareness

And people forget the Cuonzo was no threat whatsoever until his junior year. IIRC he had something like only 7 threes total until then. I'm stilling waiting for a 100% healthy and 100% focused KS. If we get that this season, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't 40+% for the season.

Cuonzo had no made 3s before his junior year. Then he made 179 3s in 2 seasons at a 45% clip.

I think KS is a good shooter when he is on. He has games where he hits 5 or 6, then he has other games where he hits nothing. Hummel always contributed in some way.....KS does not.

It seems KS shots are either all net or all bricks... He will go 5 for 6 one game than 1 for 7 the next and all of his misses are bad....

I agree with your whole post until he end. If he gets enough attempts (meaning he doesn't go like 1-4 or 2-6 on the season), I think Cline shoots at a better % as a Frosh than Stephens did as a Soph. Stephens is a very dangerous outside shooter but Cline is the best shooter Purdue has recruited in decades.

GS

I was with you until you brought up inbounds plays. Since the Keady days Purdue has had real trouble inbounding the ball. This is the truth. Painter and Keady's teams always seem to use plays to inbound the ball where the only available outlet gets trapped on the sideline. There are many BIG teams that don't have as much trouble as we seem to do.

Which makes no sense because I remember that Weber wrote a book about in bounds plays during that time that apparently had more than like 150 of them. I thought seriously?
Maybe now with an older team we can execute some good ones when we need it most.

I was with you until you brought up inbounds plays. Since the Keady days Purdue has had real trouble inbounding the ball. This is the truth. Painter and Keady's teams always seem to use plays to inbound the ball where the only available outlet gets trapped on the sideline. There are many BIG teams that don't have as much trouble as we seem to do.

I thought it actually got a little better last year, but yeah, it's been "turrrible" for a while previously.

What appeared to replace it was the appearance of an "easy" rebound fumbled either out of bounds or directly to an opponent, and then the "obligatory" three-point connection from the extra possession. This seemed to happen in most games at least once IIRC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT