ADVERTISEMENT

We have two freaks of nature on this team...Edey and Smith.

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
Smith and Rayl are about the same height, but Smith's arms and legs are 30% longer than Rayl's. That has to be an serious advantage on the court.
GKXuUQfagAAiTyc

The camera perspective in that photo is distorted. Look how much higher up in the frame the other guy’s feet are. They aren’t standing ankle-to-ankle, in-line and perpendicular to the lens. And there appears to be a bit of a fish eye effect from having a wide angle lens or something. Mason Gillis is taller than Zach Edey in this photo because he’s closer to the outside of the frame. Not to say the OP doesn’t have a point, but I believe this photo is misleading.

The camera perspective in that photo is distorted. Look how much higher up in the frame the other guy’s feet are. They aren’t standing ankle-to-ankle, in-line and perpendicular to the lens. And there appears to be a bit of a fish eye effect from having a wide angle lens or something. Mason Gillis is taller than Zach Edey in this photo because he’s closer to the outside of the frame. Not to say the OP doesn’t have a point, but I believe this photo is misleading.
It looks like edey is still taller than Gillis in the photo to me?

Reactions: Abugabby
It looks like edey is still taller than Gillis in the photo to me?
Try it out. Get an index card or piece of paper and mark the top of edey’s head and the line his heels stand on along one edge of the paper. Then move it over and see how it compares to Gillis - it’s a neat optical illusion.

Try it out. Get an index card or piece of paper and mark the top of edey’s head and the line his heels stand on along one edge of the paper. Then move it over and see how it compares to Gillis - it’s a neat optical illusion.
I dunno…looks like Gillis is at Zach’s shoulders. Maybe I’m looking something different than you?

Cameras and lenses do weird things that are difficult to grasp if you don't use them all the time and know it. Over my pay grade.
he also has a 36 inch vertical. Most rebounds are taken below the rim...and he just finds them through effort
And he just has a nose for the ball. Guys that rebound well "usually" have a better sense of where a miss is going to end up than other guys that don't rebound as well.

Reactions: tjreese
Cameras and lenses do weird things that are difficult to grasp if you don't use them all the time and know it. Over my pay grade.

And he just has a nose for the ball. Guys that rebound well "usually" have a better sense of where a miss is going to end up than other guys that don't rebound as well.
Braden not only puts forth great effort, but that nose for the ball is the same as his vision of the court. he just has that jedi feel where the force guides him in many more positive plays than not. Some of that comes from his desire to learn and get better and some of that is not only his vision and effort, but his "feel" for the game...his anticipation of the next event. Just hope he continues for two more games this year. No doubt they will try to put pressure on him thinking maybe he might be easier to stop that Zach.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Yeh, seems to what everyone is doing. TN had the pickers defender hedging out, blocking the direction he was going and forcing a 180 degree turn pretty much every time down. At the speed he was playing against one of hte best on ball defenders in the country, it wore him out.
Happy we had a whole week off for him.

Reactions: tjreese
I haven't heard this much but if purdue wins the natty I believe smith will go pro...he has such unbelievable court vision. And is a great rebounder someone will be getting a great value pick

Yeh, seems to what everyone is doing. TN had the pickers defender hedging out, blocking the direction he was going and forcing a 180 degree turn pretty much every time down. At the speed he was playing against one of hte best on ball defenders in the country, it wore him out.
Happy we had a whole week off for him.
Not to mention the exertion on defense, chasing Knecht around screens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT