ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy Home and Home

Generally agree. Any SEC team works for me.

Gotta say, I miss the annual ND game, but like the variety and its a lot easier to ignore the irish when they arent playing big ten teams.

Would love it! I live 2 hours from Nashville. The Purdue v. Vandy basketball game in December was a lot of fun - well, the game not so much but the the huge Purdue crowd that gathered before the game was a lot of fun.

Would love it! I live 2 hours from Nashville. The Purdue v. Vandy basketball game in December was a lot of fun - well, the game not so much but the the huge Purdue crowd that gathered before the game was a lot of fun.

Moved to Murfreesboro, TN about a year and a half ago, half hour south of Nashville, can't wait for the game if it happens!

I'll say the same thing I always say. This is great. Perceived quality opponent is always good from a big 5. Just depends on who this is supposed to replace. If this is instead of a directional team great. If this is supposed to be the marquee game I'm not so sure. Depends on who else we play that year can't remember. That far off though who knows where each program will be for all we know this could be a top 10 match up by then.

I'll say the same thing I always say. This is great. Perceived quality opponent is always good from a big 5. Just depends on who this is supposed to replace. If this is instead of a directional team great. If this is supposed to be the marquee game I'm not so sure. Depends on who else we play that year can't remember. That far off though who knows where each program will be for all we know this could be a top 10 match up by then.
Nashville is fine, prefer it would be Athens, GA.

I don't care about the city as much as the opponent. Almost all college towns you can get in trouble in.

Here is a link for the current 2019 schedule....just add in the Vandy game.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-purdue-boilermakers-football-schedule.php

The game at Nevada, which has become one of the stronger non-P5 teams and Vandy, it looks like a strong start to the non-conference schedule. Personally, I wouldn't mind adding in two teams from this list:
Kentucky, UCONN, Temple, Iowa St., Kansas, Colorado, Syracuse, Army, Kansas St., Navy, Air Force, or Navy.

Army would be great. Every football fan should attend at least one game at West Point in his life.

History I guess. I dont think any of these teams sound particurally great except Vandy and thats just by their association in SEC.

I want to play top 25 teams or dont care.

Why?

I've never heard anybody say this.

It's just a very special place, and the football weekend a very special event. Their teams have not been all that great for a number of years, but I will guarantee you that even if you leave at the kickoff, it will be an experience you will not forget. Ask around and see if anyone you know has been to a game at West Point. See what their thoughts were!

Here is a link for the current 2019 schedule....just add in the Vandy game.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-purdue-boilermakers-football-schedule.php

The game at Nevada, which has become one of the stronger non-P5 teams and Vandy, it looks like a strong start to the non-conference schedule. Personally, I wouldn't mind adding in two teams from this list:
Kentucky, UCONN, Temple, Iowa St., Kansas, Colorado, Syracuse, Army, Kansas St., Navy, Air Force, or Navy.

there is not space for 2 more teams, in 2019 Purdue will only have 3 OOC games.

History I guess. I dont think any of these teams sound particurally great except Vandy and thats just by their association in SEC.

I want to play top 25 teams or dont care.

You do realize that the programs I listed, most have been or are part of the P5 Conferences right? If you are wanting to shell out money for a home/home against Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, Arizona...you are setting yourself up for massive failure at this point in the program's rebuilding process.

The goal should be to get to a bowl game and if that means scheduling cupcakes in the OOC, then go for it. Look at Kansas St. under Bill Snyder and Minnesota under Jerry Kill. They have built strong foundations for successful programs on the back of getting to consecutive bowl games. You won't get the big time recruits (or even better recruits at this point) to take the program to the next level without picking up wins and getting to bowl games.

You do realize that the programs I listed, most have been or are part of the P5 Conferences right? If you are wanting to shell out money for a home/home against Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, Arizona...you are setting yourself up for massive failure at this point in the program's rebuilding process.

The goal should be to get to a bowl game and if that means scheduling cupcakes in the OOC, then go for it. Look at Kansas St. under Bill Snyder and Minnesota under Jerry Kill. They have built strong foundations for successful programs on the back of getting to consecutive bowl games. You won't get the big time recruits (or even better recruits at this point) to take the program to the next level without picking up wins and getting to bowl games.

Jerry Kill's played USC home/away and TCU home/away. This isn't the same scheduling as when Glen Mason was the coach.

Also, putting Arizona at the same level as Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon is an absolute joke. Texas and Florida have been down a couple years but they are on their way back up the rankings. Every one of the teams you listed has won a NC in the last 10 years, except for Oregon. And Oregon has played in two NC games, I believe.

Jerry Kill's played USC home/away and TCU home/away. This isn't the same scheduling as when Glen Mason was the coach.

Also, putting Arizona at the same level as Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon is an absolute joke. Texas and Florida have been down a couple years but they are on their way back up the rankings. Every one of the teams you listed has won a NC in the last 10 years, except for Oregon. And Oregon has played in two NC games, I believe.
also what has helped Minny is that really nice new stadium. I went to an Army - Lehigh game up at West Point and it's worth the trip to see the place. It's in the Hudson river valley and in the Fall it's a nice place to visit.

also what has helped Minny is that really nice new stadium. I went to an Army - Lehigh game up at West Point and it's worth the trip to see the place. It's in the Hudson river valley and in the Fall it's a nice place to visit.
What has REALLY helped Minny is Jerry Kill!!! We could have the same success and upward trend as Minny if we too had Jerry Kill even in our currently nearly empty rusting stadium.

Im not saying OOC should be three top 25 or legacy programs. I am saying one should be.

replacing ND with random p5 schools does nothing to excite the fanbase, recruiting, or players. Not to mention how well NDs fortunes turned around when they quit seeking easy wins and started going for big programs in key recruiting areas.

No one cares if we go to a junk bowl because OOC was weak. Those teams get taunted by the media and soundly defeated in their bowl games year after year.

Grow a pair

I simply put Arizona in there as an example, mainly because they were very good last season and seem to be trending up under the direction of RIch Rod going 8-5, 8-5, and 10-4 under his command.

2013: UNLV, @ New Mexico State, Western Illinois, San Jose State
2012: @UNLV, New Hampshire, Western Michigan, Syracuse
2011: @USC, New Mexico State, Miami (OH), North Dakota State

Those are Jerry Kill's first three seasons of non-conference teams. Other than the game @USC, it seems to be a similar strategy for Kill as it was under Mason. Remember, that USC game was first under Mason, so you can't really claim that schedule to be for Kill.

Let's look at the 2014 and 2015 non-conference for Minnesota:
2014: Eastern Illinois, Middle Tennessee State, @ TCU, San Jose State
2015:TCU, @ Colorado State, Kent State, Ohio

Those non-conference schedule don't really appear to be world beaters like you claim they are, do they.

A total number of wins for the out of conference schools Minnesota scheduled from 2011-2014 resulted in 67 wins. That comes to an average of 5.58 wins per season per team, but when you remove the two highest win totals (USC-10 and TCU-12) for a single season the total is now 45. That leaves just 4.5 wins per season. I left out the 1AA (FCS) schools because I didn't want to really go through hunting for their win totals.

Now, you may be thinking that 4 wins isn't too bad, but remember a lot of these teams play in lower conferences as well.

Last edited:
I simply put Arizona in there as an example, mainly because they were very good last season and seem to be trending up under the direction of RIch Rod going 8-5, 8-5, and 10-4 under his command.

2013: UNLV, @ New Mexico State, Western Illinois, San Jose State
2012: @UNLV, New Hampshire, Western Michigan, Syracuse
2011: @USC, New Mexico State, Miami (OH), North Dakota State

Those are Jerry Kill's first three seasons of non-conference teams. Other than the game @USC, it seems to be a similar strategy for Kill as it was under Mason. Remember, that USC game was first under Mason, so you can't really claim that schedule to be for Kill.

Let's look at the 2014 and 2015 non-conference for Minnesota:
2014: Eastern Illinois, Middle Tennessee State, @ TCU, San Jose State
2015:TCU, @ Colorado State, Kent State, Ohio

Those non-conference schedule don't really appear to be world beaters like you claim they are, do they.

A total number of wins for the out of conference schools Minnesota scheduled from 2011-2014 resulted in 67 wins. That comes to an average of 5.15 wins per season per team, but when you remove the two highest win totals (USC-10 and TCU-12) for a single season the total is now 45. That leaves just 4.09 wins per season. I left out the 1AA (FCS) schools because I didn't want to really go through hunting for their win totals.

Now, you may be thinking that 4 wins isn't too bad, but remember a lot of these teams play in lower conferences as well.
So what are the Boilers numbers against their similarly weak OOC schedule?

So what are the Boilers numbers against their similarly weak OOC schedule?

OOC Schedules:
2011: MTSU (2-10), @ Rice (4-8), ND (8-5), Southeast Missouri State (FCS)
2012: Eastern Kentucky (FCS), @ ND 12-1, Eastern Michigan (2-10), Marshall (5-7)
2013: @ Cinncy (9-4), Indiana State (FCS), ND (9-4), NIU (12-2)
2014: WMU (8-5), CMU (7-6), @ ND (8-5), SIU (FCS)

So comparing the data to Minnesota over the same time period, you are looking at 86 wins in the OOC over the last 4 years spread over 12 teams. That right there shows the story that Minnesota's OOC is ridiculously weak compared to even what Purdue fans recognize is a pretty weak schedule at 19 more wins in the same time period (Minnesota had 67). That then leaves an average win total of 7.16 of non-conference team wins per team which means, on average, Purdue's non-conference teams average going to a bowl game every year. In fact, only 4 OOC teams haven't made a bowl game (and one of those was only a single win away from getting bowl eligible). Now, I don't claim to be a math guy at all, so if my numbers aren't correct then someone can correct me. But to say Minnesota has a quality non-conference and Purdue doesn't...well the numbers tell a different story.

Even taking the top two win totals from the overall (which is what I did with Minnesota), it still leaves an average win total of 6.2 which is still bowl eligible average.

OOC Schedules:
2011: MTSU (2-10), @ Rice (4-8), ND (8-5), Southeast Missouri State (FCS)
2012: Eastern Kentucky (FCS), @ ND 12-1, Eastern Michigan (2-10), Marshall (5-7)
2013: @ Cinncy (9-4), Indiana State (FCS), ND (9-4), NIU (12-2)
2014: WMU (8-5), CMU (7-6), @ ND (8-5), SIU (FCS)

So comparing the data to Minnesota over the same time period, you are looking at 86 wins in the OOC over the last 4 years spread over 12 teams. That right there shows the story that Minnesota's OOC is ridiculously weak compared to even what Purdue fans recognize is a pretty weak schedule at 19 more wins in the same time period (Minnesota had 67). That then leaves an average win total of 7.16 of non-conference team wins per team which means, on average, Purdue's non-conference teams average going to a bowl game every year. In fact, only 4 OOC teams haven't made a bowl game (and one of those was only a single win away from getting bowl eligible). Now, I don't claim to be a math guy at all, so if my numbers aren't correct then someone can correct me. But to say Minnesota has a quality non-conference and Purdue doesn't...well the numbers tell a different story.

Even taking the top two win totals from the overall (which is what I did with Minnesota), it still leaves an average win total of 6.2 which is still bowl eligible average.

Don't start trying to use stats and logic here JDB...the perpetual debbie downer crowd just can't handle it! You might make some heads explode!

Having ND on the schedule every year gave us a legitimate game vs. a team that even if they were not at their best were an 8-9 win team year in and year out. That's already the foundation for a tougher than average OOC slate. Then throw in the years where we played a team like Oregon or another P5 team....those were tough schedule years for sure.

With the 9 conference games being a reality soon, I think that having a 8+ win opponent, a bowl eligible opponent and then a patsy (but still FBS) in the OOC should be what the schedulers strive for. Those 3 teams don't always need to be P5, but in years that we play a team like Nevada, we should schedule a tougher MAC team. In the years we play Mizzou or VT or programs of similar stature, we might want to scale back the other 2 opponents.

I think this year's schedule is absolutely perfect as far as balance. I think by the end of the year it will sit in the mid 30s SOS wise. That's pretty damn good for a BIG team thats not in the east division. Now we just have to play up to it!

Im torn because Im glad to be done with ND. Its just a more fun season for me when Im not always mad about how over rated they are, although they have earned their keep since 2012. But its hard for me to like the OOC lineup without a guaranteed nationally televised game.

PB,

I totally agree the goal should be top 30 schedule, and learn to play up to it. I do wish we would take on a goliath every second or third year.

ADVERTISEMENT