ADVERTISEMENT

Upcoming ACL surgery, any good book recommendations?

timster

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Indianapolis
I've read Unbroken and Lone Survivor
Tom Clancy books took a turn for the bad after Hunt for Red October/Patriot Games unless I've missed some

Depends on what you're looking for.

If you like history, you could check out James Hornfischer - his Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is one of the best books I've ever read. Ghost Ship is also pretty fantastic.

Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher - a biography of Edward S. Curtis, who spent 20 years documenting America's native peoples, is also surprisingly terrific.

Mark Miodownik has a book called Stuff Matters that talks about the everyday materials around us and ends up being fascinating, too.

Fiction - Anything by Jonathan Tropper is laugh-out-loud funny. I've read four of his books in the last three weeks.

I could go on for a long, long time...

EDIT: If you're into military fiction and have yet to read W.E.B. Griffin's two series, "Brotherhood of War" and "The Corps," do yourself a favor and launch into them. They're 10 books each, but you won't regret the time.
This post was edited on 11/22 7:52 PM by pastorjoeboggs

If you want to follow one topic and you like history you could start with the classic, "The Guns of August." If you like that book then "July 1914," and if you like that then "The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914."

It has been a long long time since I read them but I would agree with "Brotherhood of War" and The Corp." Good luck with the ACL.

If you are into military history, as others here have recommended, you might want to read Larry Miller's Masters of the Air. This is a very composite historical account of the story of the 8th Air Force in WW II and their struggle against Nazi Germany. The overwhelming odds they overcame (they originated in January 1942 with a handful of men and no planes), were not only against the Luftwaffe but also against the internal struggles within the theory of their mission statement and against the political forces which were aligned against their mission, in helping lead the Allies to overall victory in Europe, especially on D-Day. I read it a couple of years ago and am reading it again now because I enjoyed it so much.

I also understand that it is now the subject of a new HBO miniseries being filmed by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks in the same mold as Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Read the story first, before the miniseries.

Masters of the Air

I recently read and really enjoyed " Escape from Davao". The book is about the Japanese capture of the Philippines in WWII, the Bataan Death March and the terrible conditions of the US and FIlipino prisoners were in, a very improbable escape by 10 of the POWs, the fascinating Filipino resistance fighters, and the politics the escaped POWs encountered when they make it back to the US and tried to tell the public their story. It was one of those books I could hardly put down until I finished it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT