ADVERTISEMENT

Tyasha Harris announcing Wednesday

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Per a Kyle Neddenriep tweet she is deciding between Iowa, MSU, and South Carolina.

Another very good Indiana player going somewhere other than Purdue . Also Taya Reimer is transferring to MSU. We must be able to recruit and close on these top players. Do we not have a closer on the staff? Next year we will get an injury or two and the staff will say we did not have enough depth . Lets get a good recruiter and closer on staff and stop the bleeding.

Another very good Indiana player going somewhere other than Purdue . Also Taya Reimer is transferring to MSU. We must be able to recruit and close on these top players. Do we not have a closer on the staff? Next year we will get an injury or two and the staff will say we did not have enough depth . Lets get a good recruiter and closer on staff and stop the bleeding.
I think the new AD will have to make a change
Here on the Women's team. I'm not upset about
Reimer, she's slow and unmotivated. Muffin
Was OK with her leaving

It is disturbing that the home state school that was definitely competitive with BT rivals MSU and Iowa did not even make her consideration list. I don't know what is still out there, but we have just 10 players next season, with three being true frosh. Not great depth and subject to being wrecked by key injuries. Again, I think, without key injuries, this team could vie for a top five spot in the conference behind MD and OSU which seem to be in a class by themselves. That appears to be the ceiling for this program now. Better than last place two years ago. Lots of parallels between our two BB programs in terms of overall achievement expectations. We are not alone.

It is disturbing that the home state school that was definitely competitive with BT rivals MSU and Iowa did not even make her consideration list. I don't know what is still out there, but we have just 10 players next season, with three being true frosh. Not great depth and subject to being wrecked by key injuries. Again, I think, without key injuries, this team could vie for a top five spot in the conference behind MD and OSU which seem to be in a class by themselves. That appears to be the ceiling for this program now. Better than last place two years ago. Lots of parallels between our two BB programs in terms of overall achievement expectations. We are not alone.

I disagree with the last part of that statement. I know I have different expectations for the programs.

Although the Curry mess is ancient history and was heavily discussed on this board for years, in my opinion, it is the reason for the sharp downturn and helped ND began to get the top recruits from the state.We have not been able to overcome that. The one hope we have is that some time in the future, we may be able to get those big time Indiana players, which will probably open the door to other national kids. It does not seem that Versyp can do that. She still gets good players to remain competitive for the upper half of the BT, but we appear to be solidly off the national recruiting scene.

Per a Kyle Neddenriep tweet she is deciding between Iowa, MSU, and South Carolina.

The Heritage Christian Coach is a former Purdue basketball player. Despite what would appear on the surface to be an edge for Purdue, we have not been successful in landing a single player from one of the state's most consistently strong WBB programs.

For the 10 years prior to the Versyp years, we would vie for a top 10 in the nation, not top 10 in the conference. Excuses are getting tiresome.

Not excuses, just reality. We never recovered from the Curry scandal and Versyp just happens to have been the next coach. Perhaps we can find a coach who can recruit us back into prominence. Ohio State did. But it does seem difficult unless we are willing to break the bank. But Purdue is not a sexy place to live. We do, however, still have a decent fan base.

For the 10 years prior to the Versyp years, we would vie for a top 10 in the nation, not top 10 in the conference. Excuses are getting tiresome.

Well Curry got us put on probation too so lets not leave that out but it is difficult to watch great players consistently go elsewhere to play. That said, we did get McBryde last year and have Ae'Rianna Harris coming in next season so we are landing some of them.

Not excuses, just reality. We never recovered from the Curry scandal and Versyp just happens to have been the next coach. Perhaps we can find a coach who can recruit us back into prominence. Ohio State did. But it does seem difficult unless we are willing to break the bank. But Purdue is not a sexy place to live. We do, however, still have a decent fan base.
We have an unbelievably loyal fan base in women's basketball. However, they are an educated bunch for the most part and need a reason to get excited about the potential. Currently, that reason in McBride. She is a special player in the mold of LWH and Sam O. That being said, she can't do it all herself. Overall talent level and coaching is MOR. Get used to it until we have a coaching change, IMHO.

We are adding 5* Lamina Cooper also. This ain't no bunch of rubes. we are getting some good players.

However, that said, we are not recruiting like we did during the Lynn Dunn era. I think there are a couple interesting questions that ought to be considered in judging our current situation.

First, I think Purdue was an "early adopter" and pushed WBB harder than many other BIG schools. I would include PSU in that population also. Because of that, we became a destination school for many good players. Many more schools are now driving WBB just as hard, so the world has changed. Would Lynn do as well now as she did "back then"?

Second, we tend to romanticise the past. IIRC Tennessee was the big dog in WBB back in Lynn's day. We had trouble beating them. UT got upset in an early round the year we won the NC, so we didn't have to face them. They were the UConn of the time. We were very good in those days, but not the world beaters we think of now. In fact, I would have to say UConn is a stronger big dog than UT ever was. Our NC team would have trouble staying in the game with today's UConn team.

These things should be considered as we judge our team's progress. Let's be the best team in the BIG, then the best team in Indiana. After that, then let's talk NC.

We are adding 5* Lamina Cooper also. This ain't no bunch of rubes. we are getting some good players.

However, that said, we are not recruiting like we did during the Lynn Dunn era. I think there are a couple interesting questions that ought to be considered in judging our current situation.

First, I think Purdue was an "early adopter" and pushed WBB harder than many other BIG schools. I would include PSU in that population also. Because of that, we became a destination school for many good players. Many more schools are now driving WBB just as hard, so the world has changed. Would Lynn do as well now as she did "back then"?

Second, we tend to romanticise the past. IIRC Tennessee was the big dog in WBB back in Lynn's day. We had trouble beating them. UT got upset in an early round the year we won the NC, so we didn't have to face them. They were the UConn of the time. We were very good in those days, but not the world beaters we think of now. In fact, I would have to say UConn is a stronger big dog than UT ever was. Our NC team would have trouble staying in the game with today's UConn team.

These things should be considered as we judge our team's progress. Let's be the best team in the BIG, then the best team in Indiana. After that, then let's talk NC.

We did beat Tennessee the year we won the national title. Can't really help it if they didn't make it the Final Four for a rematch so to try to use that as a reason to taint the national title is pretty lame. We only lost one game all year in very controversial fashion out west against Stanford if memory serves. We won every NCAA tournament game by double digits if I'm not mistaken. There's no if's, and's, or but's about us being the best team that year. That's not to say we permanently surpassed the top programs but we were better than them that season.

We were a quarterfinal injury to our starting PG and some very questionable officiating away from winning twice in three years. Surely those mighty Huskies did not deliberately "tank" two out of three years and those awesome Lady Vols did not play dead for our beloved Boilermakers??

As for our WBB history, we were awful to poor for eleven seasons (especially in Big Ten)'before hiring Dunn and beginning to built a powerful program so that debunks the theory we emphasized the sport before any others.

We did beat Tennessee the year we won the national title. Can't really help it if they didn't make it the Final Four for a rematch so to try to use that as a reason to taint the national title is pretty lame. We only lost one game all year in very controversial fashion out west against Stanford if memory serves. We won every NCAA tournament game by double digits if I'm not mistaken. There's no if's, and's, or but's about us being the best team that year. That's not to say we permanently surpassed the top programs but we were better than them that season.
Sorry TC. I really just forgot we played UT during the season. In no way was I trying to taint the NC. I was just pointing out the changes over the years. UT was not nearly as dominant as UConn has been. That's all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT