ADVERTISEMENT

Turning our weakness into a strength...

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
Since last season ended, the continual criticism of next year's team has been that we do not have a PG we can be confident in. With Bryson leaving and Octeus graduating, it appeared to be a weakness. And the acquisition of Hill helped us feel better, but honestly he's still a question mark. Nobody really knows how our 1 (whoever ends up starting) will turn out right now.

Right now everyone is putting all their hope in our front court (rightfully so) with the addition of Biggie, and the return of Haas and Hammons. But I think it would be awesome if PJ and Hill, knowing how they are seen as the team's biggest weakness (well, the position at least), got chips on their shoulders and worked their @$$es off and somehow turned the position into a strength. Like imagine winning some close games next year because of theses guys keeping their poise and making good plays, getting great stops or forcing turnovers, or just hitting big shots. I'm being hopeful, I know, but it seems like we know what we have in every other position and there isn't much to worry about.

I was just going to start a PG topic, because it seems like the area with the most question marks.

What do you think are the most important capabilities when it comes to a PG running Purdue's offense in the B1G? My thoughts...

- Ball handling / protecting the basketball. I believe (at least statistically) Dakota and PJ are the best returners in this area. Hill's stats don't indicate he was great at this at UT-Arlington, but his numbers were better at Illinois State. Ray has also not been great in this area, but we know first hand how he can improve through hard work. Finally, it is hard to tell about Weatherford because he's a freshman with relatively little exposure.

- Defense. Unfortunately the strongest candidates are not the same as the category above. Ray as B1G DPOTY obviously is strong, though he was usually assigned to wings rather than on-ball. Hill seems likely to be the best on-ball defender, unless Weatherford exceeds expectations. Dakota and PJ both improved their defense a lot last year, especially team defense in the half court, but thinking about them guarding the super quick elite B1G point guards makes me nervous.

- Passing / distributing / decision-making. Dakota seems the best of the candidates, but he can distribute just about as well playing the SG position. I can't say Ray was "PG" good at this. PJ was good sometimes & less good others. Hill should be pretty good given his experience, but we'll have to see. No idea about Weatherford when it comes to this.

- Beating the press. Hill should be able to help us with this, though I don't know if he will be better than Octeus, so that sort of means we have similar pieces. In general, we have got to come up with an answer to the press next season. The problem last year seemed to be a lack of guys on the floor who were both fast enough and excellent ball handlers. If Weatherford surprises, then maybe Hill & he will be a better option for beating the press than any we had last year. The coaches are obviously painfully aware of this problem area, and I have to think they will find a way to do better with our personnel.

Overall, who do you think will be our top PG? I think, similar to last year, experience will end up prevailing & Hill will get the most minutes. He will need to protect the basketball though.

It's nice to only have one position to moderately worry about.

I was just going to start a PG topic, because it seems like the area with the most question marks.

What do you think are the most important capabilities when it comes to a PG running Purdue's offense in the B1G? My thoughts...

- Ball handling / protecting the basketball. I believe (at least statistically) Dakota and PJ are the best returners in this area. Hill's stats don't indicate he was great at this at UT-Arlington, but his numbers were better at Illinois State. Ray has also not been great in this area, but we know first hand how he can improve through hard work. Finally, it is hard to tell about Weatherford because he's a freshman with relatively little exposure.

- Defense. Unfortunately the strongest candidates are not the same as the category above. Ray as B1G DPOTY obviously is strong, though he was usually assigned to wings rather than on-ball. Hill seems likely to be the best on-ball defender, unless Weatherford exceeds expectations. Dakota and PJ both improved their defense a lot last year, especially team defense in the half court, but thinking about them guarding the super quick elite B1G point guards makes me nervous.

- Passing / distributing / decision-making. Dakota seems the best of the candidates, but he can distribute just about as well playing the SG position. I can't say Ray was "PG" good at this. PJ was good sometimes & less good others. Hill should be pretty good given his experience, but we'll have to see. No idea about Weatherford when it comes to this.

- Beating the press. Hill should be able to help us with this, though I don't know if he will be better than Octeus, so that sort of means we have similar pieces. In general, we have got to come up with an answer to the press next season. The problem last year seemed to be a lack of guys on the floor who were both fast enough and excellent ball handlers. If Weatherford surprises, then maybe Hill & he will be a better option for beating the press than any we had last year. The coaches are obviously painfully aware of this problem area, and I have to think they will find a way to do better with our personnel.

Overall, who do you think will be our top PG? I think, similar to last year, experience will end up prevailing & Hill will get the most minutes. He will need to protect the basketball though.

It's nice to only have one position to moderately worry about.
I would like to see what Edwards looks like bringing the ball up. Let whoever is most capable to defend the point between him and Ray. If it was solid enough, a lineup of Edwards, Stephens or Mathias, Ray, Biggie and AJ, and we could really cause mismatch nightmares for many if not all teams.

I would like to see what Edwards looks like bringing the ball up. Let whoever is most capable to defend the point between him and Ray. If it was solid enough, a lineup of Edwards, Stephens or Mathias, Ray, Biggie and AJ, and we could really cause mismatch nightmares for many if not all teams.
My thoughts exactly.

This should work against 90% of the teams we face. Then work in Hill or PJ when we need a true PG against those 10%.

I would like to see LewJack or Kramer come back as special assistants or something and teach some Boiler Ball. Wishful thinking. LewJack is back in the states but trying to hook up with another euro team.

Just to add pressure to the pg, whoever it may be, you have 5 less seconds to get into your offensive set and make something happen. Expect to see a little more running so defenses can't get set either.

I really think pj can perform well at the pg position if he embraces it. He's got a decent stroke( we never get that) , ball handling and average athleticism. His size hurts but all we need him to do is stick on them on the perimeter if he can do that watch out for this purdue team.

Time will tell of course but I think we will see a greatly improved PJ this year. His experience oversees this year , work ethic, etc should provide him the opportunity to grow into an adequate PG, not great, but very good. Against the press our size should help us pass the ball over the top of the press. We didn't do that well last year but I think it will be a point of emphasis this year. The 16' class is another opportunity to raise the bar. People like Simpson, Brunk, and Cumberland or equivalent skill sets need to be in this class.

I really think pj can perform well at the pg position if he embraces it. He's got a decent stroke( we never get that) , ball handling and average athleticism. His size hurts but all we need him to do is stick on them on the perimeter if he can do that watch out for this purdue team.

PJ played better than people expected in just about every aspect of the game. Now that he's had a year of college basketball, a year in the MP system, and a year with all of his teammates returning (sans JO), I think he'll play very well as a sophomore. His overseas trip should give him confidence, too.

Time will tell of course but I think we will see a greatly improved PJ this year. His experience oversees this year , work ethic, etc should provide him the opportunity to grow into an adequate PG, not great, but very good. Against the press our size should help us pass the ball over the top of the press. We didn't do that well last year but I think it will be a point of emphasis this year. The 16' class is another opportunity to raise the bar. People like Simpson, Brunk, and Cumberland or equivalent skill sets need to be in this class.
Agree on PJ, the over seas experience is invaluable. Grant can play D1 'D' already and Hill brings experience to the two youngsters. I'm not to concerned about PU's PG play.

I really hope PJ wins the starting job. He is a really unselfish guy, who honestly at the end of last year did a lot of what we want. He doesn't turn the ball over, can hit his shots when wide open, makes smart decisions, and played hard on D. The only thing I didn't like about PJ was how timid he was on offense. He would pass up wide open jumpers, and pass 24/7 instead of driving, or even taking two dribbles and a pull up. I think if he can add just a little bit of scoring to his game, he can be an ideal point for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT