ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to Hawaii recommendations?

burbo

All-American
Jul 31, 2001
I recall a few threads on here through the years about travelling to Hawaii. We're looking at sometime in October more than likely, 5-7 days over there, and we need it to be reasonably priced.

Does anyone recommend a particular travel agency to research package deals that would include the flights and hotel reservations? We see all of the travelocity type commercials on TV, but just wondered if anyone had recent experience with multiple travel sites and would recommend 1 over all of the other sites?

Other than a tour of Pearl Harbor, I don't have anything cast in stone as far as what we would like to do other than eat, drink, and be merry (and sight see too).

What do you all recommend?

I recall a few threads on here through the years about travelling to Hawaii. We're looking at sometime in October more than likely, 5-7 days over there, and we need it to be reasonably priced.

Does anyone recommend a particular travel agency to research package deals that would include the flights and hotel reservations? We see all of the travelocity type commercials on TV, but just wondered if anyone had recent experience with multiple travel sites and would recommend 1 over all of the other sites?

Other than a tour of Pearl Harbor, I don't have anything cast in stone as far as what we would like to do other than eat, drink, and be merry (and sight see too).

While I have not used it for Hawaii, we had a great experience using VRBO last summer to find a rental cottage in Michigan. Using it this year for a beachfront home in NC. Now, it won't work if you're looking to visit more than one island, since most owners usually want a 7 day stay. But, the prices can be very competitive with hotels.

As for where to go, Pearl Harbor is a must see. But you would likely not want to stay 5-7 days only on Oahu. Maui is much nicer in my opinion. Big Island is also neat, but you may have to compete with the triathletes for rooms, dinner spots, etc., depending on when you go in October. Ironman is that month. I think it's the Saturday closest to a full moon, or at least it used to be. Then again, seeing the Ironman in person is also pretty darn cool in my opinion.

FYI our furniture is not wicker. Kauai is not for everyone but it is for people who like beautiful scenery and a more quiet laid back style. If you are interested, let me know. Thx

FYI our furniture is not wicker. Kauai is not for everyone but it is for people who like beautiful scenery and a more quiet laid back style. If you are interested, let me know. Thx
Just yanking your chain. Your place is beautiful, and I would love to go to Kauai someday (been to Maui, Oahu and Hawaii, but never Kauai). Just not in the cards right now

Just yanking your chain. Your place is beautiful, and I would love to go to Kauai someday (been to Maui, Oahu and Hawaii, but never Kauai). Just not in the cards right now
Thx and no problem. Please keep me in mind in the future. Thx again

If you are into snorkeling I would recommend Hanauma Bay. It is on Oahu. It is a very beautiful place and I think depicts what a tropical beach looks like. http://www.hanaumabaystatepark.com/

If you go there you might want to check out the Toilet Bowl as well. It's not what you might think though. vbg https://www.google.com/search?q=han...dSVdKoKMqZgwSSx4G4Cg&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&dpr=1

I was there back in 1981 and still remember it very well. Of course Pearl Harbor is a must. I was lucky that my cousin was in the navy at that time and stationed at Pearl. He was able to take me places that I doubt the normal visitor could go. We took a dinghy over to Ford Island in the middle of the harbor and walked on the shore along battle ship row seeing the markers for each of the ships that had been sunk there. On the other side of the island was the still rusting hulk of the U.S.S. Utah which had also been sunk that day but I guess it was just an old target ship that the Japs sunk anyway. He also took me out to Schofield Barracks, an army base where you could still see some of the pock marked walls which had been strafed during the attack. At that time they had decided not to repair them as a reminder of the attack.

I also remember going to the far side of the island and seeing a vast field of pineapples. Of course I was there in February so I don't know if they would still be producing in October when you are going.

If you do go to Maui, I would recommend a trip to the top of the old volcano. It looks like a moonscape up there. Or if you have time for a full day trip you might take the Road to Hana. It is a very scenic drive along a very winding road, (did I mention it is a very winding road?) that where you can stop at various places and swim in pools fed by waterfalls, or see black sand beaches and such. If you go, I hope you are able to get something sporty to drive. It seemed that everyone else on the trip on the day we went were driving Mustangs and we had something like a 4 door Oldsmobile or something. The Mustang would have been a lot funner to drive on that road. Also on Maui, there are some snorkeling trips you can take by boat out to a point where you are actually snorkeling in an old volcano crater, although about half of the wall had collapsed which let the ocean in. Can't remember the name of that place. They had food and adult beverages on the boat as well. Supposedly they sometimes have whale sightings on that trip although we didn't see any the day we went. We also rented some clubs and played a round of golf one day on Maui.

Anyway, I am sure there are things I am forgetting but you can't go wrong on any of the islands as far as I am concerned.

The 1.5-2 hour drive around Oahu is relaxing. The northside where Turtle Bay resort is nice if you like leisure drives. Waimea Bay/Waimea Falls on the northside is a gorgeous state park with maybe a 20 minute hike. Big surf is on the northside also. Honolulu? Reminds me of Chicago. Maui-the road to Hana has many curves and views for a 3-5 hour drive. Waialea Golf and Kaanapali Golf are some of the better courses. Lahaina where the Maui bball tourney is a big eatery/hangout. The Big Island is also nice. Drive the whole island for sites (maybe 6 hours) also if you like those kind of things. The volcanoes on the southside are active and the sands are all kinds of colors.

Be sure you book a double wide/2 aisle plane!!! Many fly 757's (one aisle) and you will regret that if you do.

The 1.5-2 hour drive around Oahu is relaxing. The northside where Turtle Bay resort is nice if you like leisure drives. Waimea Bay/Waimea Falls on the northside is a gorgeous state park with maybe a 20 minute hike. Big surf is on the northside also. Honolulu? Reminds me of Chicago. Maui-the road to Hana has many curves and views for a 3-5 hour drive. Waialea Golf and Kaanapali Golf are some of the better courses. Lahaina where the Maui bball tourney is a big eatery/hangout. The Big Island is also nice. Drive the whole island for sites (maybe 6 hours) also if you like those kind of things. The volcanoes on the southside are active and the sands are all kinds of colors.

Be sure you book a double wide/2 aisle plane!!! Many fly 757's (one aisle) and you will regret that if you do.

Some of our in-laws stayed at Turtle Bay Resort, so we're considering that. I'm not too in to golf, so I won't waste time doing that. Just mainly sight seeing and honey mooning is the main emphasis. I wouldn't mind doing some island hopping, but that will likely make the expenses too high.

Thanks for the information!

Thanks for the link. We do seem to be zeroing in on Oahu, but I'll keep your offer in mind. We haven't decided anything yet. (And I'm perfectly fine with wicker furniture)
The North Shore on Oahu is pretty cool, especially if the surf is up and there are surfers. Absolutely amazing if you have never seen big wave surfing in person. Also, be sure to stop in for breakfast at Cafe Haleiwa. You'll be humming a Jack Johnson tune the moment you walk in the door. Will make you want to take a surfing lesson on Waikiki Beach (where the waves are much smaller).

Thanks for the link. We do seem to be zeroing in on Oahu, but I'll keep your offer in mind. We haven't decided anything yet. (And I'm perfectly fine with wicker furniture)
Thanks Burbo. BTW our furniture is good quality wood furniture. Noodle was just kidding.
Thx

Reactions: burbo
Thanks Burbo. BTW our furniture is good quality wood furniture. Noodle was just kidding.
Thx
OK, I have fixed my poor attempt at a joke regarding wicker. You might want to add wicker-free to your VRBO listing as well. :)

Thx
I know Noodle was kidding. Did we lose the emoji's with this new format, or I'm just not smart enough to find them yet? I can add emojis from my Iphone, but don't see that option on my laptop version of this new format.

I know Noodle was kidding. Did we lose the emoji's with this new format, or I'm just not smart enough to find them yet? I can add emojis from my Iphone, but don't see that option on my laptop version of this new format.
Excuse my ignorance but what is "emoji's"?

Some of our in-laws stayed at Turtle Bay Resort, so we're considering that. I'm not too in to golf, so I won't waste time doing that. Just mainly sight seeing and honey mooning is the main emphasis. I wouldn't mind doing some island hopping, but that will likely make the expenses too high.

Thank for the information!

Turtle Bay is very nice it gets you away from commercialized Honolulu. I had a sales meeting there a few years ago. It is about the only major resort on the north side. The Fish House at Haleiwa is among great the few restuarents close to Turtle. There is a slightly overrated Polynesian Village to visit nearby. Neat if you are into those kind of things. Surfing lessons can be had at Turtle as well as snorkeling. Also, the Waimea Falls park is off the main highway and gorgeous. Do find time to drive the whole perimeter of the island, the sides are very different and take Liki Liki highway through.the middle.

Excuse my ignorance but what is "emoji's"?
The emoji's can help convey the spirit of the reply. I should have typed tic (tongue in cheek) with my reply and you would've known I was jerking you around like Noodle did. Who am I to judge someone for having wicker furniture?

Don't you see the smiley face in the bar above the area where you type your message? Click on that and they pop up for you to choose.
That's odd, nothing shows in that bar. However, if I hover in different areas of the bar with the cursor, there is a line that shows and a small popup window with the name of that option. That's working on a laptop (perhaps a firewall issue while I waste time at work?) Those editing options do show from the reply window on my Iphone.

Turtle Bay is very nice it gets you away from commercialized Honolulu. I had a sales meeting there a few years ago. It is about the only major resort on the north side. The Fish House at Haleiwa is among great the few restuarents close to Turtle. There is a slightly overrated Polynesian Village to visit nearby. Neat if you are into those kind of things. Surfing lessons can be had at Turtle as well as snorkeling. Also, the Waimea Falls park is off the main highway and gorgeous. Do find time to drive the whole perimeter of the island, the sides are very different and take Liki Liki highway through.the middle.

"Take Liki Liki highway through the middle" Sounds like my kind of place!;):p

Kauai is great. Not nearly as bustly as Oahu or as commercial as parts of Maui. Beautiful and Hawaiian-feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT