ADVERTISEMENT

Trepedation About Next Year

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
I don't recall ever going into a new season as uncertain about the team as this coming year. From what I can see, our look, our key players, and our expectations are all over the place. There are so few important pieces coming back from last year. A year that was disappointing at best. Between injuries, and some fresh faces not playing as well as we expected, we were not competative in the BIG.

College basketball is all about recruiting, teaching, and then coaching in the game. Last year I felt that we had breakdowns in some of these key aspects of our program. I don't care to go into pinpointing the issues and distributing blame. There are plenty of threads here and on the Old Gold site regarding the identification of the single person to blame, and the lynch mob has already formed. Let's leave that alone for the moment.

Let's focus on who we have coming in and who we have from last year. What are we going to look like? Where will our streghts be? Weeknesses?

:cool:

Am re-posting what I wrote at the end of last season (scroll down a bit. :) One big change tho is Bodnar transferring as she may have been our best center option.
There is no way to figure for sure what this team will be like, but it WILL be a re-building year and that is never very promising.
Interesting too is the virtual absence of fan comments, tho there are very few WBB fans that frequent this board anyway. Lack of interest is a bad sign,

Despite the valiant efforts in the two BTT games, it has been said to death what was wrong with this team which ended with the worst record in the modern era by far. Very, very hard to watch. But some perspective:

--Lost two great scoring guards and bad on Versyp for not having recruited replacements who can shoot. The lack of consistent outside shooters killed this team.

--Injuries etc were a big factor. Perry, including last night, was never able to play as she can from mid BT season on. Losing Thornton hurt and Moore and Bodnar and even Redmon loss really hurt. This was a really, really thin team without a huge amount of experience.

--Look back at the many, many really close losses for this team. 5 OT losses for example. They competed well in most games. Lack of depth really hurt them. And though April Wilson tried, her lack of scoring really stood out. Still this team competed above what it should have been able to given the deck they drew. I do not think that was appreciated enough on this board.

--Overall, however, it is impossible to ignore that this program has fallen on times far worse than any long time fan ever expected, even going into this season when we knew or should have known that this squad had a lot of holes. There was considerable talk about firing Coach V and that is not going to happen off one bad season, but, truly, for the first time, if she does not turn it around that is obviously something that is not going away. She is on, at least, a very warm seat.

NEXT YEAR;
--Looking at the REALITY of what we have and not projecting that just because we're Purdue we will be great:
--FRONT LINE: We will be very tall but very, very inexperienced on the front line. Horriocks, who has a long way to go, Bodnar and Kiesler will represent a huge front, Whether they can compete with their lack of experience is up in the air, but we will have size for quite a while. Thornton, a yeoman, will help. Moore has potential but no clue of how good she will be. MCBryde is certainly promising. But this is a puzzle with the pieces laid out on the table that has to be put together from scratch. The loss of Clemons and Bays cannot ever be underestimated.They were incredibly productive, with almost no help.

BACKCOURT: Good news, bad news. We have Wilson and Morrisette back, but they have shown no evidence of having an outside shot, a hallmark of Purdue teams for so long and it killed the team this year. Even last night, one or two threes late would have won it. It is just not there. If they find it, that will be huge. Perry and Keys are very promising, particularly if Perry can stay healthy which had a really negative impact when she went down and basically never recovered from mid BT. Murphy, Cooper and Hall are all at best promising unknowns. Hamby shows that just because you score a ton of points in rural Alabama, it does not necessarily translate into the BT.

PROJECTION: Impossible to make. Too many moving parts that have not been together. It will take a masterful coaching job and there is obviously mixed opinions about whether Versyp can do it. Truthfully, this team will probably be much better going into the season after next, but impatience of our fans cannot be discounted. Our crowds are a plus and another bad season may threaten that. Coach V will, however, have depth, with 14 on her roster. The lack of that was maybe the biggest reason for the collapse this year.

PREDICTION: Better record because how could it be otherwise? If it is the same or worse, put your hands over your eyes.
But I do not think we will return to competing for the top of the league next year. If we make the NCAA, it will be a real plus, but I think a WNIT bid is the best shot, launching a better following season. It is going to be hard, maybe impossible to return this team to national prominence any time soon, if ever. Perhaps a new coach can do that. We are not there yet, but may be soon. But another coach or what they could accomplish is no given. Do not think that Coach V is a bad coach. but clearly not a top notch recruiter. She had a lot of marks against her this year and this team DID compete in a lot of games with almost no depth.But failure brings change so we will just have to see.

Thoughts anyone? Sorry for such a long piece but I am a retired guy with some time now. :)

P.S. Very hopeful for the Boiler men both this year and in the future. Remember what was being said about them this time last year. We might remember that in assessing the WBB.

IlliniBoiler: Prediction: Impossible to make. Too many moving parts that have not been together. It will take a masterful coaching job and there is obviously mixed opinions about whether Versyp can do it. Truthfully, this team will probably be much better going into the season after next, but impatience of our fans cannot be discounted. Our crowds are a plus and another bad season may threaten that. Coach V will, however, have depth, with 14 on her roster. The lack of that was maybe the biggest reason for the collapse this year.

PREDICTION: Better record because how could it be otherwise? If it is the same or worse, put your hands over your eyes.
But I do not think we will return to competing for the top of the league next year. If we make the NCAA, it will be a real plus, but I think a WNIT bid is the best shot, launching a better following season. It is going to be hard, maybe impossible to return this team to national prominence any time soon, if ever. Perhaps a new coach can do that. We are not there yet, but may be soon. But another coach or what they could accomplish is no given. Do not think that Coach V is a bad coach. but clearly not a top notch recruiter. She had a lot of marks against her this year and this team DID compete in a lot of games with almost no depth.But failure brings change so we will just have to see.

Thoughts anyone? Sorry for such a long piece but I am a retired guy with some time now. :)

P.S. Very hopeful for the Boiler men both this year and in the future. Remember what was being said about them this time last year. We might remember that in assessing the WBB.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

This is the best write up I have read regarding the 2016 edition of the Purdue WBB team. I have a bad feeling about the outcome. Since we are a bit under the talent curve set by our competing BIG schools, and we are very young. That combination can be deadly. It speaks to a team that will look good at times and terrible other times. I expect an inconsistent record.

As for the lynch mob, they have gathered around the Old Gold board. Nothing positive is allowed over there anymore. The results of last year have tainted all view points. It is a shame, because most of the people interested in WBB used to frequent that board. SInce you can't prove we will be better, the naysayers reign. Their irrefutable proof of a downhill slide is evident from last year's record. Yes, we were so close in many games, and yes, we had some key injuries. However, according to the "experts", so did everyone else, and they managed to finish better than we did, ergo, somebody should be fired immediately.

Man does that shitch gets old.

Reactions: oldgoldandblack
IlliniBoiler: Prediction: Impossible to make. Too many moving parts that have not been together. It will take a masterful coaching job and there is obviously mixed opinions about whether Versyp can do it. Truthfully, this team will probably be much better going into the season after next, but impatience of our fans cannot be discounted. Our crowds are a plus and another bad season may threaten that. Coach V will, however, have depth, with 14 on her roster. The lack of that was maybe the biggest reason for the collapse this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

This is the best write up I have read regarding the 2016 edition of the Purdue WBB team. I have a bad feeling about the outcome. Since we are a bit under the talent curve set by our competing BIG schools, and we are very young. That combination can be deadly. It speaks to a team that will look good at times and terrible other times. I expect an inconsistent record.

As for the lynch mob, they have gathered around the Old Gold board. Nothing positive is allowed over there anymore. The results of last year have tainted all view points. It is a shame, because most of the people interested in WBB used to frequent that board. SInce you can't prove we will be better, the naysayers reign. Their irrefutable proof of a downhill slide is evident from last year's record. Yes, we were so close in many games, and yes, we had some key injuries. However, according to the "experts", so did everyone else, and they managed to finish better than we did, ergo, somebody should be fired immediately.

Man does that shitch gets old.

Couldn't agree more about the other board. I am no longer going to post on it.

Couldn't agree more about the other board. I am no longer going to post on it.

I am afraid Michael has poisoned that well. Until we prove we can win an NC every year, he will not be satisfied. That is really the truth and not an exaggeration, unfortunately. Maybe we can keep a few positive thoughts over here while waiting for the season to start.

With the start of the season next year, I don't know if the mood will improve. I know that any win will be depreciated because the completion is no good, regardless of any other proof. Any loss will be exaggerated and the opponent derided as "weak" such that we couldn't even beat team "X"...

You know how that song goes.

Reactions: boilerluv
I am afraid Michael has poisoned that well. Until we prove we can win an NC every year, he will not be satisfied. That is really the truth and not an exaggeration, unfortunately. Maybe we can keep a few positive thoughts over here while waiting for the season to start.

With the start of the season next year, I don't know if the mood will improve. I know that any win will be depreciated because the completion is no good, regardless of any other proof. Any loss will be exaggerated and the opponent derided as "weak" such that we couldn't even beat team "X"...

You know how that song goes.

Again, well said!!

Had it occurred to any of you that most people subscribe to the adage "that if you don't have anything good to say just don't say anything?" No more talk about Tori McCoy, the big gal from Wisconsin and even the drama about whether Versyp being the first to offer potential superstar Jackie Young would payoff evaporated when the almost certain 2016 Miss Basketball elected to end the suspense and follow 2015 Miss Basketball Ali Patberg to South Bend.
Nothing really exciting about any Purdue recruits in postseason. No state titles, no great All-Star game showings. Nada, zip, zilch. Now excuse me while I continue my summer nap!

Last edited:
Had it occurred to any of you that most people subscribe to the adage "that if you have anything good to say just don't say anything?" No more talk about Tori McCoy, the big gal from Wisconsin and even the drama about whether Versyp being the first to offer potential superstar Jackie Young would payoff evaporated when the almost certain 2016 Miss Basketball elected to end the suspense and follow 2015 Miss Basketball Ali Patberg to South Bend.
Nothing really excited about any Purdue recruits in postseason. No state titles, no great All-Star game showings. Nada, zip, zilch. Now excuse me while I continue my summer nap!

As usual, Des, you are 100% correct. I really struggled finding positives about the program last year. The fact that we have a high end program in ND right next door has severely wounded our ability to recruiit Indiana. ND seems to be pulling most of the Miss Basketballs into thier campus. We could usually expect to get a few Misss Indiana Basketball players onto our squad. Now it seems that their is way too much local competition for them. The roles have reversed since I was at Purdue. Too bad.

I see some good players on next year's team, but they are not of the caliber of the palyers going to ND or UConn. That means being competative with those teams will be a challenge. There is simply not as much high end talent in the womens' game as in the mens' game. That means certain teams can stock pile the best players and get the pay off. UK tires to pull off this strategy on the men's side, but there are enough teams of similar talent, that UK doesn't always make the championship game. On the other hand, when was the last time UConn was not in the championship game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT