ADVERTISEMENT

Time to "manage expectations" about the future of the program

BishopBoiler

All-American
Aug 6, 2003
Brownsburg, IN
We all think and want Purdue women's basketball to be that top 10 program annually like we were used to seeing in the late 90s and early 2000s. But times have changed and I don't see a coaching change, even though I think one is needed, magically turning Purdue back into a consistent top 10 program.

Purdue hasn't been to a Final Four since 2001. High school recruits being courted right now probably couldn't even dribble a basketball in 2001, so the success of Purdue that fans cling to is so old that it's not relevant to current recruits. Purdue's attendance also used to be one of the top 10 in the country and I don't know where it ranks now but it's fallen off considerably, so that's no longer a selling point that few other programs could offer.

Since Purdue has been to a Final Four, four different Big Ten teams have played in a Final Four: Michigan State, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland. No recruiting advantage against them.

Notre Dame has been to four straight Final Fours, so Purdue is no longer the in-state school of choice for top recruits.

Simply put, times have changed and Purdue fans better embrace the fact that they will have to "manage expectations" for the women's program.

Then it's high time to let Sharon Versyp hit the bricks if that's what it's come down to. To have Purdue Women's BB team that loses by 30 points to mediocre teams is as low as this team has fallen and it is not to be tolerated. She has to go!

What did a coaching change do for Baylor (NC), Texas A & M (NC), Louisville (multiple FF). You hire the right coach and sell them on the fact Purdue has a rich tradition me history. Pick the right coach who unifies the alumni and fanbase and recruits like a Pied Piper and you'll restore the program quickly. On,y two schools in the Big Ten have won a NC and only one is a charter member of the Conference.

That individual who can unify the fan base and make the needle move in a positive way for recruits is Stephanie White. She is currently the head coach of the Fever, but I'm sure would make more money with the Boilers if given the chance. Her name is still the biggest girls basketball name in the state of Indiana and I'm sure she can bring together a few other individuals with her to bring the Boilers back to where they should be.

#1 Just because someone was a great player doesn't mean she would be a good coach/recruiter. Have to wait and see how the Fever do before judging that. And of course, recruiting isn't even part of that equation. #2 She probably would not make as much as she is now making as HC of the Fever AND as an announcer for the BTN and occasionally other networks. #3 There is no guarantee she would want the job,. anyway, after reading the on-line "fan forums" that are calling for the coach's head because of a bad season.

End of an Era

Purdue WBB is pretty much done as far as being relevant nationally.

If you can't get us there in 9 years, it's not going to happen.

I agree, we just have to accept it. Maybe the next AD does something, but nothing before that.

SV has run the program into the dirt. Everyone now knows she can't get the job done. The recruiting is not so much, fudamentals appear not being taught, and the losses mount.

Stephanie White, come in and clean up this program. She should have been hired the first time as SV has been a disaster.

Originally posted by SKYDOG:

SV has run the program into the dirt. Everyone now knows she can't get the job done. The recruiting is not so much, fudamentals appear not being taught, and the losses mount.

Stephanie White, come in and clean up this program. She should have been hired the first time as SV has been a disaster.
Just curious. Why would Stephanie be any better than Versyp? They both have limited Pre-Purdue coaching experience when we would hire them.. Actually SV had more experience and more success than SW has, when we hired her. SW has never recruited at a national level, and has zero D1 college coaching experience.

I might be up for a coaching change, but let's not go back to the same "Hire the successful past-player" well again.

cool.r191677.gif

Niether Painter or Versyp could recruit at all with the old Mackey. Now both of them are doing better. Let's see what Versyp can do with her hotshot class coming in next year. It is impressive and much better than either program has attracted in years.

I think it is ridiculous that womens basketball has gotten this bad, but there is a great class coming in the door next year. Let's see what that looks like before pulling the trigger.

Originally posted by BoilerStutz:
Niether Painter or Versyp could recruit at all with the old Mackey. Now both of them are doing better. Let's see what Versyp can do with her hotshot class coming in next year. It is impressive and much better than either program has attracted in years.

I think it is ridiculous that womens basketball has gotten this bad, but there is a great class coming in the door next year. Let's see what that looks like before pulling the trigger.
I go back and forth on this. I see huge parallels with the men's program. Painter took 2 years to turn around the program. You could see progress in each year, but the win-loss record didn't move until the third year. I wonder if we might see improvements next year in WBB, but the win-loss meter not move that much until the year after.

There is question that SV is a pretty good game coach. I think this year, we have not had the guard talent we need to compete successfully. That might be changing, but we will need to wait and watch. True measurement cannot depend only on win-loss. We need to see progress in the manner of play.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:

I go back and forth on this. I see huge parallels with the men's program. Painter took 2 years to turn around the program. You could see progress in each year, but the win-loss record didn't move until the third year. I wonder if we might see improvements next year in WBB, but the win-loss meter not move that much until the year after.

There is question that SV is a pretty good game coach. I think this year, we have not had the guard talent we need to compete successfully. That might be changing, but we will need to wait and watch. True measurement cannot depend only on win-loss. We need to see progress in the manner of play.

cool.r191677.gif
I really expected Miss Wilson to be an all-conference player this year when the seniors left. It never came close to happening and I now see my thoughts were foolish. Some players are decent as a spark and a role player but not as good in the lead role as envisioned. We need guards who can control the game without excessive turnovers. A deadly 3 point shooter would make a huge difference on this team also. Hopefully the horizon becomes brighter very quickly. I hope I'm not asking for too much.
This post was edited on 3/3 11:29 AM by GemstateBoiler

Originally posted by GemstateBoiler:

Originally posted by mathboy:

cool.r191677.gif
I really expected Miss Wilson to be an all-conference player this year when the seniors left. It never came close to happening and I now see my thoughts were foolish. Some players are decent as a spark and a role player but not as good in the lead role as envisioned. We need guards who can control the game without excessive turnovers. A deadly 3 point shooter would make a huge difference on this team also. Hopefully the horizon becomes brighter very quickly. I hope I'm not asking for too much.

This post was edited on 3/3 11:29 AM by GemstateBoiler
I know what you mean. I keep expecting Hayden to suddenly explode, and start scoring in the manner that she did in high school. Hard to believe, but next year she will be a senior. She is running out of time to make her move. Maybe, like you, I have unrealistic expectations of the girl, just as you did of Wilson. Both kids play hard and try, but seem to not have that extra gear to elevate their level of play.

My impression of the kids in this next class is that they are athletic and good around the rim. However, I don't recall being particularly impressed with anyone's raw shooting capability. Without that outside threat, we are probably looking at a worse year than this one, because we won't have Whitney scoring bunches of points in the paint, consistently.

cool.r191677.gif

It will be very hard for the win/loss meter not to move up next year. The question will be: How far will it move up and will it continue rising. That is true of the men's program too.It has risen but will it stay there or even do better. Versyp will get another year at least. What she does with it is the question.

What makes you say the win/loss meter may go up? They lose their 2 best players Bays and Clemons. Bays may be the best player this program will see for years. She was a one woman team basically, that never really got to show her true overall skills because she was continuously double and triple teamed. They still will have no outside shooting from their guards to speak of next season, they won't have Bays and Clemons. They will have height, though. They will 3 girls that are 6'2 or taller for the first time I can remember. So there's that! They will be tall! Hopefully that correlates to more wins!

Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT