ADVERTISEMENT

This whole point guard thing has

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
out of control. It's the only thing the media or anyone for that matter can talk about. http://btn.com/2015/04/30/btn-coms-super-early-2015-16-big-ten-hoops-power-rankings/

I think we could add two more 7 footers with skills and everyone would still say we need a point guard. We must be the only team in the country that needs a point guard. OSU loses Russell, a lottery pick, but they don't need a point guard. We apparently are also the only team in college basketball that needs an experienced point guard. Perfectly ok for everyone else to have an unproven frosh or underclassman for their PG.

The entire PG thing has been talked about so much it's easy for the media to repeat it over and over again because in reality they do very little research on their own. Most fans are just as bad in terms of repeating what they hear with very little analysis on their own.

out of control. It's the only thing the media or anyone for that matter can talk about. http://btn.com/2015/04/30/btn-coms-super-early-2015-16-big-ten-hoops-power-rankings/

I think we could add two more 7 footers with skills and everyone would still say we need a point guard. We must be the only team in the country that needs a point guard. OSU loses Russell, a lottery pick, but they don't need a point guard. We apparently are also the only team in college basketball that needs an experienced point guard. Perfectly ok for everyone else to have an unproven frosh or underclassman for their PG.

The entire PG thing has been talked about so much it's easy for the media to repeat it over and over again because in reality they do very little research on their own. Most fans are just as bad in terms of repeating what they hear with very little analysis on their own.
Great post.

"The entire PG thing has been talked about so much it's easy for the media to repeat it over and over again because in reality they do very little research on their own."

Yea, now that is true. We do not have an investigative media these days. They are just monitor readers of the current days agenda.

But in this case the fans can see Painter's actions pursuing multiple pg's, thus it would not be a reach to think Purdue needs help there. So I will give the fans credit. The hapless media on the other hand has not realized Painter's actions, they are just taking a quick look @ returning players and counting stars/rankings on new recruits coming in.

Ohio state brought in 4 star pg recruit.

We need help at the position. Painter is looking for one for a reason. Don't sell the need short

Reactions: mike41703
This is the same "knowledgable" media that had Purdue 12 or 13 in the B1G going into last season!!!

Reactions: woggy718
This is the same "knowledgable" media that had Purdue 12 or 13 in the B1G going into last season!!!
I hear what you're saying, but I think this actually ties in quite well as a counter-argument to the OP's post. Octeus was a God-send for Purdue. Sure, he was thought to be a good - not great - player on the transfer market, and most people thought he'd make Purdue a better team. But what Purdue got was a lot more. Octeus carried the team. Not necessarily in any one individual stat, but in solid ball handling, composure, leadership, and doing whatever his team and coach needed when it was needed. He was the consummate team player.

If you take away a) Octeus - or even discount him to being just decent instead of the "really good" that he was - coupled with b) the new-found, late-season 3-pt shooting from Davis (in some big moments late in games), I'm not sure you can really fault the media for not predicting a good B1G finish for Purdue. I realize those are some big "if's" I mentioned, but just trying to make the point that those were some pretty big unknown unknowns (to quote the great Ron Rumsfeld) heading into last season.

To your point though, unknown/unexpected things can happen every season (and usually do), so even educated guesses can end up pretty far off. That doesn't mean they were necessarily bad projections though, just that any projection is only as good as the known or reasonably predictable inputs going into it.

I tend to agree with Nat's point of view... Painter is still recruiting the position (and seemingly pretty hard), and I trust his judgment on the criticalness of the need. Even if it's only for depth behind PJ (which I don't think is the case, but that's just me), Purdue NEEDS to add a PG. Perhaps the reason the media keeps hammering it is because Purdue has solid and/or improving play at every other position. I don't take the media comments as an insult, rather as recognition of Purdue's strengths everywhere else on the court and not wanting limited PG depth to hold the team back from having a darn good year.

Reactions: mike41703

I think some people may be remembering games like Minnesota last year coupled with what Octeus brought and can honestly think you guys will struggle at the point. Thompson will be an alright point, but I think this year will be very different as he's going from a bench player to maybe a starter being relied upon. And to be fair, OSU brings in Lyle who was very well thought of coming out of high school.

I think it also stems from other B10 teams taking steps to answer the question marks they have. MSU is bringing in two 5* bigs and Eron Harris to go along with Valentine who should run the team. IU brought in a McDonald's All American big man. Maryland returns basically everyone and adds a couple nice pieces as well. UM returns everyone and I believe the got some international big as well (could be wrong here). OSU still has a ton of question marks IMO. I would put you guys ahead of them.

So I think it's those two issues combined with Purdue having a tougher schedule than they did last year.

Statey, I don't disagree with what you are saying but just pointing out that the "experts" often don't even know where Purdue is located much less about what is happening with the team on a day in/day out basis. Same guys believe IU is a top 10 team based on one recruit but still have the same incompetent coach. Doesn't take a lot to be an expert.

Statey, I don't disagree with what you are saying but just pointing out that the "experts" often don't even know where Purdue is located much less about what is happening with the team on a day in/day out basis. Same guys believe IU is a top 10 team based on one recruit but still have the same incompetent coach. Doesn't take a lot to be an expert.
Pretty clear that it has a lot more to do with us returning everyone AND adding a recruit that fills the only hole on our roster. We still need to play better defense, but it's not tough to think it's a possibility. Top 10 is a stretch to start the year. Top 20 I think is more accurate, IMO. I also think PU should be either ranked or the first couple out to start the season.

Understood. But stuff like "where Purdue is located" is irrelevant anyway. I don't buy-in to media bias, etc. like some people (or at least not as much as some people, anyway). Bias is a little like luck, you make your own to an extent. If you're well known for something, you'll get some credit for it even when it isn't as deserved. Likewise if you struggle with something, you'll be perceived to be struggling with it even when maybe you're not.

Pre-season polls are completely meaningless. They're supposed to be fun, give people something to talk about, and (hopefully) be directionally accurate; that's the best level of accuracy we could hope for 6 months from the first game. I think some people - not necessarily you personally - are just hyper-sensitive to bad news (or to perceived good news, in SNU's case, since he can't stop talking about IU's pre-season ranking).

Pretty clear that it has a lot more to do with us returning everyone AND adding a recruit that fills the only hole on our roster. We still need to play better defense, but it's not tough to think it's a possibility. Top 10 is a stretch to start the year. Top 20 I think is more accurate, IMO. I also think PU should be either ranked or the first couple out to start the season.
That is friggin hilarious. Your whole team defense is a giant hole that one frosh isn't going to cure.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
More than Purdue needing a point guard, I think Purdue needs stability at point guard. That's the more relevant story, imo.

That is friggin hilarious. Your whole team defense is a giant hole that one frosh isn't going to cure.
Not sure why snu keeps repeating the same things over and over expecting Purdue fans on a PURDUE BOARD to react differently. That's great he is excited for a player, but not sure why he feels compelled to keep posting that over here. I agree with you, if one is talking "question marks", team defense is the bigger one that needs to be solved for their team. We all know why media is predicting Purdue where they are, which is why I rarely read their garbage. Don't really care much about the predictions, just like last year. We return almost the entire team, so we can expect them to continue to build on good defense. Sure, a reliable & experienced PG would help, but that wont change the fact that we'll be very good in the Big anyway. Next year will be fun for Purdue fans. If we can improve on shooting (which is very possible and has already been discussed on here), then look out.

More than Purdue needing a point guard, I think Purdue needs stability at point guard. That's the more relevant story, imo.

And that's why we need more than a bandaid 5th year PG. We need a true transfer wth multiple years of eligibility or a top tier freshman PG that we steal because of coaching changes and attrition. I think we have good enough players to be damn good next year as the Roster stands. But I don't think we can reach our ceiling without some depth at the PG spot. Even though we have guys capable of playing that role, that's like asking a running back to play tight end. Can he do it? Yea, but that takes him out of his best position and the position of TE isn't going to be As productive As it could be.

What everyone is forgetting is that we played alot of games last year where JO was in foul trouble & sat alot. Bryson was still in the dog house in those games & I don't remember us having any problems. If we can add another PG, great, if not, we will be fine.

Reactions: proudopete
Umm probably because pg is a giant gaping hole on our roster. Just because they aren't Purdue experts and don't follow the team everyday doesn't make them wrong. Unless pj has made some huge leap in his development he should be playing no more than ten minutes a night, dude just does not have the talent to be a legit 30 plus minute per game guy. At this point I'm just praying we get whatever best 5th year guy is available. Really could have used Bryson this year, a shame Painter has been running off all his guards.

If we can add another PG, great, if not, we will be fine.
If by "fine" you mean a "decent" team with ~20 wins, you're probably right. If you mean competing for a B1G championship, I'd disagree. I think Purdue has all the pieces to be pretty good in the B1G and a threat to be in that top tier of teams, save for a reliable/proven PG. I liked what I saw of Thompson in his HS/AAU days, but just not sure he's ready yet to be THE point guard for a B1G champion-caliber team.

If by "fine" you mean a "decent" team with ~20 wins, you're probably right. If you mean competing for a B1G championship, I'd disagree. I think Purdue has all the pieces to be pretty good in the B1G and a threat to be in that top tier of teams, save for a reliable/proven PG. I liked what I saw of Thompson in his HS/AAU days, but just not sure he's ready yet to be THE point guard for a B1G champion-caliber team.
He's right. We won some pretty decent games with Octeus on the bench in foul trouble. No reason we can't do that again with the same players and an offseason of growth. Guess we'll see.

Purdue was quite balanced this year in handling the ball. I am not sure how much of a true point guard is needed. Sure extra work bringing up the ball would be nice, but Edwards led the team in assists last year. Additionally, we were at the top of the B10 in terms of baskets assisted on. I would be more concerned the footwork of Hass than getting a true point guard into a system in which everyone contributes.

Point guard plays an important part in how Painter structures his defense and in initiating offense. It isnt only about assists.

Point guard plays an important part in how Painter structures his defense and in initiating offense. It isnt only about assists.
I think we all can agree we need a PG to run the offense, the type and "level" of PG may be debatable, but with losing two technically there is a void to fill and right now PJ is the only real body to fill that spot and he has a lot to learn yet.

Get a solid 5th year PG and we should be in really good shape going forward.

Bryant hasn't played a lick of college basketball SNU...he's not the Savior of Creandom yet. And he doesn't fill your ONLY HOLE. IU had multiple holes...no back up PG, a PG that wasn't well liked by the rest of the team, a shoot first and get my stats mentality by many of IU's players, no one playing defense, and if they did it was a Matador Defense. And the one BIGGEST thing you keep forgetting is this...Two top five NBA draft picks and couldn't get past the Sweet 16. Tom Crean is your biggest weakness and guys like BSmitty and a even Rangeline knows that. Maybe someday, you'll realize it too.

JO was a 2 guard converted to point when he came here. I'm not sure why any of you can't see that DM, Davis, or VE could do the same. I think we can win the B1G with or without a transfer. PJ or DW could also step up. Personally, I'm hoping that DM or RD win the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT