ADVERTISEMENT

This USA U-19 crap...

pboiler18

All-American
May 13, 2014
This is exactly what will happen when college basketball game s eventually forced to go to a 24 second shot clock.

0 ball movement. Too much driving into traffic and throwing up ugly shots. All of this with basically 15 top recruits with little college experience.

The future of college basketball does not look bright.

Reactions: woggy718
This is exactly what will happen when college basketball game s eventually forced to go to a 24 second shot clock.

0 ball movement. Too much driving into traffic and throwing up ugly shots. All of this with basically 15 top recruits with little college experience.

Seems to be what the college news media is calling for. Guys like Bilas seem to want more scoring and less D, ball movement, etc. so it is like the NBA. I cannot stand watching the NBA and would not shell out the $$ or anywhere near that amount as what I do to attend and watch Purdue basketball. It is amazing that the NBA can get what they do from fans to watch that crap.

I always like THAT claim of more scoring like the NBA with this rule....as statistics in the NBA have shown nothing but a steady decline in scoring over the past ten years in the NBA! The NBA is a star system that needs THE STAR to have the ball in his hands most of the time, the college game is and hopefully remains a team system but this rule may hurt this! Scoring may increase but attendance outside of the NCAA tournament will decline!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I always like THAT claim of more scoring like the NBA with this rule....as statistics in the NBA have shown nothing but a steady decline in scoring over the past ten years in the NBA! The NBA is a star system that needs THE STAR to have the ball in his hands most of the time, the college game is and hopefully remains a team system but this rule may hurt this! Scoring may increase but attendance outside of the NCAA tournament will decline!

The best NBA team over the past 15+ years
would not agree with the idea that "THE STAR" > the team.

Exactly. Get rid of the shot clock and add variety to the game to bring more excitement. This type of play is a joke...

I don't think they should get rid of the shot clock...

That said, the shorter it gets the less time offenses have to work the ball for a good shot which incentivizes early shot clock shots and drives

Warriors wouldn't win without their star Curry who has the most touches on their team this year if that is where you were going! Recordwise maybe but not the best TEAM in the past 15 by a far cry!

I felt sorry for Swanigan. Everyone of his teammates were hunting for their own shot. Caleb was setting picks and posting up, but nobody would throw him the ball. Caleb did a lot of the dirty work, but his teammates were very selfish with the ball.

I watched the 2nd half of the champ game today, I know this Harry Giles kid is a star in the making but he was throwing up shots EVERYTIME he got the ball and bout lost them the game because he took so many stupid shots! Jalen Brunson was bout the only kid that actually passed up shots for a better shot for Someone else. All these kids wanna do is shoot and score once they get the ball. That's why I'm not even going to judge Caleb, he got the ball like twice the whole game!!! He's the kind of player that needs to be in a system with set plays and I think he chose the right place!

he was throwing up shots EVERYTIME he got the ball
To be fair, just about everyone was doing that. At least when I was watching it seemed like it.

Like you said I won't "judge" Caleb at all on these games based solely on the type of game being played. He seems like a strong TEAM player and will excel at Purdue.

To be fair, just about everyone was doing that. At least when I was watching it seemed like it.

Like you said I won't "judge" Caleb at all on these games based solely on the type of game being played. He seems like a strong TEAM player and will excel at Purdue.
Since the "offense" consisted of one on ones and fast break and Caleb was relegated to setting picks and getting rebounds, I think he looked good. Caleb was also forced to play center. I think he made the right choice coming to Purdue. He will thrive in our half court motion offense. Also, Hammons and Haas will benefit from his passing, sceening, and scoring.

Since the "offense" consisted of one on ones and fast break and Caleb was relegated to setting picks and getting rebounds, I think he looked good. Caleb was also forced to play center. I think he made the right choice coming to Purdue. He will thrive in our half court motion offense. Also, Hammons and Haas will benefit from his passing, sceening, and scoring.
Good points all around. If he and AJH are dominant underneath, look out. That will make it easier for everyone else to score as well.

I watched a few of the games. Caleb looked like a post player. It was pretty clear the USA coaching staff felt the same way. He is not a Robbie Hummel type, more like Charles Oakley. It will be interesting to see if he and AJ can be effective together.

I watched a few of the games. Caleb looked like a post player. It was pretty clear the USA coaching staff felt the same way. He is not a Robbie Hummel type, more like Charles Oakley. It will be interesting to see if he and AJ can be effective together.
Even if the other teams player gets around Swanigan they will have AJ in there way in getting to the rim. I think they should work well together. I'm not as certain when Haas is playing center.

Even if the other teams player gets around Swanigan they will have AJ in there way in getting to the rim. I think they should work well together. I'm not as certain when Haas is playing center.

IMO, Haas will get as many minutes as he did last year and has the potential to earn more. With Swanigan having an ok outside game, he can play the 4 a lot and won't play the 5 by himself that often.

CS has a good faceup game and doesn't have to take his shot from inside the lane. He loves to pass too...so he's another guy that can feed the post and help us on the boards when he gets inside position.

Reactions: WarBoiler44
I don't think they should get rid of the shot clock...

That said, the shorter it gets the less time offenses have to work the ball for a good shot which incentivizes early shot clock shots and drives

the clock means you have taken half the game and said we will limit how much of that you play. It also creates a more one dimensional player and one dimensional game. Variety is what adds excitement, not a track meet to see who can take the first bad shot and kick it out of bounds. I realize I'm the minority, but I'm also right about the one dimensional game and reducing the half of the game that the average fan misses anyway...

the clock means you have taken half the game and said we will limit how much of that you play. It also creates a more one dimensional player and one dimensional game. Variety is what adds excitement, not a track meet to see who can take the first bad shot and kick it out of bounds. I realize I'm the minority, but I'm also right about the one dimensional game and reducing the half of the game that the average fan misses anyway...

IMO, there has to be a shot clock. Too many teams would be content to burn MINUTES of clock on 1 possession because they don't have the firepower that other teams do. 35 seconds is a lot of time to set up a play and run your offense. I think 30 is fliriting with too few. 24 is DEFINITELY too few for the level of player that is in college.

No shot clock means four corners offense and games in the 30's when an undermanned team desperately tries to keep the score close. No thanks.

No shot clock means four corners offense and games in the 30's when an undermanned team desperately tries to keep the score close. No thanks.

Ah the pressure of each basket rather than the last few minutes.. How does each team use their strategy with the players they have?. Now do you have to press when you are used to laying back in a zone or now do you need to take good shots. so much variety and counters. allow the coaches to coach...THAT is the beauty of the game.

IMO, there has to be a shot clock. Too many teams would be content to burn MINUTES of clock on 1 possession because they don't have the firepower that other teams do. 35 seconds is a lot of time to set up a play and run your offense. I think 30 is fliriting with too few. 24 is DEFINITELY too few for the level of player that is in college.

burn em'...make the team play D...make the offense execute offensive skills...make the coaches adjust...put pressure on each basket. See a variety of ways to play the game...see a variety of player types that can play in "different styles". Before the clock the scores were not in the 30's (even though one of the most exciting games I've seen at the high school level was 29 to 28).. Intelligence is diminished and a premium is placed on athleticism to run and jump (they do that in track don't they) and I want all coaches to be able to recruit players of different traits to their system to be successful. Of course my view was started back in the early 60's with Hinkle and so I expect to have a minority view. :)

burn em'...make the team play D...make the offense execute offensive skills...make the coaches adjust...put pressure on each basket. See a variety of ways to play the game...see a variety of player types that can play in "different styles". Before the clock the scores were not in the 30's (even though one of the most exciting games I've seen at the high school level was 29 to 28).. Intelligence is diminished and a premium is placed on athleticism to run and jump (they do that in track don't they) and I want all coaches to be able to recruit players of different traits to their system to be successful. Of course my view was started back in the early 60's with Hinkle and so I expect to have a minority view. :)
I think that the sense of urgency created by a thirty second shot clock isn't a big deal. There's plenty of time still to move the ball and work for a good shot.

I wouldn't want to see the shot clock reduced to 24 seconds, however.

I think that the sense of urgency created by a thirty second shot clock isn't a big deal. There's plenty of time still to move the ball and work for a good shot.

I wouldn't want to see the shot clock reduced to 24 seconds, however.
Here is where I differ from many. I think basketball should be a mental game as well. There is no reason to even have basketball in high school if it doesn't teach mental things.. I want mental toughness, sacrifice, pressure, intensity and if it take 3 minutes of holding a stance to prove you are more mentally tough than the offensive team that thinks you will coward..so be it. i can't begin to understand being in love with every game being up and down with similar skill sets and players. You'll find your winners on the defensive side of the ball and I'm talking attitude not skill sets. You take 7 seconds to get the ball up leaving 23 and find the post being denied and then try to reverse one time and that is covered...now what? Are we going to see all posts going to the ball and few reversals....one reversal and now we can't have an inside outside game? There are a lot of things a team can do offensively and all those are reduced by reducing the clock. The clock is for the fans that are aware of running, dunking and shooting threes....

Good points all around. If he and AJH are dominant underneath, look out. That will make it easier for everyone else to score as well.
This is MP's opportunity to play a twin towers type game, which he teased us with last year. It won't be two 7-footers, but it will be a classical center and a classical PF on the front line. Purdue's shooters should have an absolute party every game.

To me this is nothing more than a huge $$$$ grab by the shoe companies facilitated by ESPN who gains the most via add dollars. Basketball has morphed into a very narrow star system starting with the Air Jordan phenomenon. Now the shoe companies and ESPN are trying to push it down to even the HS level through rule changes, AAU co-opting, etc.

It's just another symptom of our me-first society. I just wish the Jay Bilas's of the world would just be intellectually honest about it. It's not good for basketball; it's good for the talking heads' employers (ESPN and CBS) and thus them. It's harder for them to make this work in football and baseball due to team nature of both sports, thank God.

I felt sorry for Swanigan. Everyone of his teammates were hunting for their own shot. Caleb was setting picks and posting up, but nobody would throw him the ball. Caleb did a lot of the dirty work, but his teammates were very selfish with the ball.

Why feel sorry for a player doing his job well?

Reactions: WarBoiler44
This is MP's opportunity to play a twin towers type game, which he teased us with last year. It won't be two 7-footers, but it will be a classical center and a classical PF on the front line. Purdue's shooters should have an absolute party every game.

This exactly why it's important that Purdue surround these guys with quality shooters. If Purdue can keep the perimeter defenders honest, they should have a field day inside.

This is also why I am not ready to proclaim Hill the starter at point guard. His stats indicate that he isn't much of an outside threat. The way that college basketball has evolved, it's hard to have a highly efficient offense without being able to spread the floor with shooters.

This exactly why it's important that Purdue surround these guys with quality shooters. If Purdue can keep the perimeter defenders honest, they should have a field day inside.

This is also why I am not ready to proclaim Hill the starter at point guard. His stats indicate that he isn't much of an outside threat. The way that college basketball has evolved, it's hard to have a highly efficient offense without being able to spread the floor with shooters.

Outside shooting is one of the reasons that I think PJ Thompson is underrated in this offense. He can dribble drive OK, get the O started and spot up shoot when open or given space.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I watched part of the Croatia game, including some of the few minutes Caleb played. Croatia had a well-conditioned, skilled team out there, and they were 1 FT away from winning the game. I think Caleb didn't play all that much in that particular game because the Croats were good at getting down the floor fast in transition, and that's not a scenario that plays well to Caleb's strengths because at this point at least he's not fast running the floor. Croatia had a good Euro-big (#13) who could run the floor fast & was scoring a lot, though I do think Caleb actually defended that guy better in the 1/2 court than the other US player who played more minutes than Caleb. As others have said, the bigs weren't getting much love down low on offense.

My earlier evaluation of Caleb's play is essentially unchanged. Biggie is a smart player. He works hard to get positioned well at both ends, and he's a good (maybe great) passer. At his size, he's hard to push around down low, and his stroke looks decent.

As far as an area to work on, he's on the slow side running the court, even for a big, though he can speed up for bursts. Not everybody has much opportunity to significantly improve their speed, but I think Caleb actually can improve a lot by losing extra weight, conditioning, and training on proper running form. Also, Caleb should hit the weights hard to become stronger and, more importantly, more explosive. If our bigs could each add just 2-3 inches to their vertical, the payback on the effort would be big time IMO. Man, I hope they do.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT