ADVERTISEMENT

The Ryan Walters Show

*Shockerrr*

True Freshman
Apr 26, 2015
It was a good listen with lots of team related talk and recruiting.
-briefly talked about Sheffield entering the portal before the IU game and how George Burhenn stepped up and gave more production at that position (Sheffields) then they got all year…a little shots fired I’d say?? lol
-hinted on having some commitments that people don’t know about yet so stay tuned

Thought it was interesting to hear him say during his press conference earlier today that there was one transfer departure from the team that he wished he still had but everyone else he understood and some was encouraged.

Last edited:
It was a good listen with lots of team related talk and recruiting.
-briefly talked about Sheffield entering the portal before the IU game and how George Burhem stepped up and gave more production at that position (Sheffields) then they got all year…a little shots fired I’d say?? lol
-hinted on having some commitments that people don’t know about yet so stay tuned

Thought it was interesting to hear him say during his press conference earlier today that there was one transfer departure from the team that he wished he still had but everyone else he understood and some was encouraged.
Yes. We are all warming up to the idea of having George Burhenn play at wide receiver.

I think the mystery departure was Burks. I think C Walters would have liked for him to stay.

I always enjoy listening to his show. Although he might not make comments that would help opposing coaches very much, he does comment on his thinking process from which you can infer things. Interesting to hear him on the latest show saying that you don't even call someone in the portal unless you have money to back you up. So much for people negatively reacting to his NIL requests. I find the show interesting and enjoyable and do wish it would happen more outside the on-field part of the football season.

Last edited:
Yes. We are all warming up to the idea of having George Burhenn play at wide receiver.

I think the mystery departure was Burks. I think C Walters would have liked for him to stay.
Not a mystery. Walters is happy with NIL and it is believed Purdue has about the 3-5 million that you need to field a decent big ten team. Tom dienhart didn’t give numbers but said Burks did “very well for himself.”

When you have to get big donations just to get up the lower tier big ten level, and you keep Scourton, Jenkins, Mockobee, Klare, Mbow, Hartwig and you plan to go buy Corey Stewart and other transfers that cost money..

And one wide receiver comes and tells you he wants a big bag… and you have jahmal Edrine… you don’t do it. You might if you have 6-8 million.

Burks warranted getting paid. Purdue would have been stupid to be the team who paid him. I’m thrilled we didn’t keep him and then end up talking about Nic Scourton to texas a & m

Reactions: Bippus33
Not a mystery. Walters is happy with NIL and it is believed Purdue has about the 3-5 million that you need to field a decent big ten team. Tom dienhart didn’t give numbers but said Burks did “very well for himself.”

When you have to get big donations just to get up the lower tier big ten level, and you keep Scourton, Jenkins, Mockobee, Klare, Mbow, Hartwig and you plan to go buy Corey Stewart and other transfers that cost money..

And one wide receiver comes and tells you he wants a big bag… and you have jahmal Edrine… you don’t do it. You might if you have 6-8 million.

Burks warranted getting paid. Purdue would have been stupid to be the team who paid him. I’m thrilled we didn’t keep him and then end up talking about Nic Scourton to texas a & m
This isn’t an attack at you so please don’t cry about it…

But at some point…I think the smart ones know they can go chase $$$ somewhere but they risk not being the guy there or not playing in a system that suits them. It’s why I never worried about guys on offense leaving while Brohm was here. I guess we can hope it’s why good players on D won’t leave because Walters is here.

All that said…have to tie the D together and get them playing as a unit. 3-4 good individual performances still got this defense dead last in conference. Gotta master the Xs and Os and Jimmies and Joes.

But at some point…I think the smart ones know they can go chase $$$ somewhere but they risk not being the guy there or not playing in a system that suits them. It’s why I never worried about guys on offense leaving while Brohm was here. I guess we can hope it’s why good players on D won’t leave because Walters is here.

All that said…have to tie the D together and get them playing as a unit. 3-4 good individual performances still got this defense dead last in conference. Gotta master the Xs and Os and Jimmies and Joes.
They’re getting the kind of transfers you pay for now. And not Malik Langham and isiah Nichols. Neither of them generated any pressure.

I’m not in the camp that wanted to blame cam Allen for everything in the beginning of the year, but we are on the same page that that’s not the most difficult position to upgrade right?

Might also be because NIL started while Brohm was here and hadn't really taken hold until he left.

Reactions: Bippus33
Am I to believe that more NIL money is given to incoming portal players than say an incumbent player? Maybe what Burks was able to squeeze out of the NIL paled in comparison to what these portal players were being promised. Does he try to “renegotiate” ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT