ADVERTISEMENT

The Old Gold Show - Does Purdue need to change?

Casey Bartley

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 25, 2022
Here's an early look at The Old Gold Show where Ledman and I discuss the upset and if Purdue needs to change after losing the same way, again.

Braden was not great! He was careless on multiple passes and in the second half their D changed his ability to control the action. He had 1/3 of our turnovers. The narrative that Smith was the best PG in the B1G was on clear display being proven wrong. Bouie was heads above. Smith is good but not that good.

Boiue is also a 5 year senior vs 2 year soph.
Boiue had a very good game. Smith had a bad game.
That does not = Boiue is better ;)

We have info from last year and this early year to draw on. Both players have improved.

But Bouie likely ends 1st team All B10......and Smith third team (if they have 3 teams?)

Both are great PGs, and we are lucky to have Smith on our roster. We have had several years without a good PG.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I was at the NW game. First, kudos to NW. They turned their crappy fieldhouse I to a real hotbed. Their crowd was a real 6th man. About 10 minutes in I was sure we were on our way to a 20+ point win but then their shots started to fall. The D by our guards was horrible. After Maui I was really impressed with our team defense and of course our shooting was go too out there but not against NW. During play stoppages Lusk was all over our guards and with good reason. Loyer was making shots but didn’t get touches. We should have been running sets for him. At crunch time Loyer was clearly trying to take the lead. After making plays he would gesture to the bench to give him the ball.

Yesterday I watched the video. It was horrible. The last few minutes and during OT Zach misses something like 8-10 shots right at the rim and missed multiple opportunities for and ones. He head fouled out their best center but rushed everything at the rim. I would guess we also missed half of our free throws during that time too, usually going one for two. And of course 17 effing turnovers were just tragic.

Kudos to NW, the deserved to win.

if this was a GK team I would pity Iowa coming in tomorrow, He would have us breathing fire. I hope we come out ready to play

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think Braden Smith is very good and better than ANYONE not named Painter expected him to be coming in from HS. He continues to impress and improve! My statement was in reference to the statement in video that Braden was great game against NW. He was not great in that game. Did he have moments of looking good? Yup without a doubt. The other point was in reference to comments that have been made about him being the best PG in the B1G, and I don’t think he is Bouie is a Baller and almost certainly the best in the B1G. As Collins stated in post game interview, he is to Northwestern what Edey is to Purdue. He changes the ceiling of the team and affects every aspect of the game and team performance.
Love Braden Smith but I’m fairly certain that Bouie > Smith. Looking forward to Smith for 2 more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT