ADVERTISEMENT

The Golden Bear

I'll give you 'best that ever was', but not by much. Without this guy to duel against in the last 2/3rds of his career, Jack isn't quite the same luminary, and his great friend and rival isn't either. Nicklaus never had to compete against a Jack Nicklaus, mind you.
And without the longevity of this golfer's competitiveness, we would never have been electrified as a world-wide golf community as one in 2009 at Turnberry. If only his amateur friend / caddie had spoken up about being in the moment and probably pumping full adrenaline, we may have witnessed a contender for greatest sporting feat in history, along the lines of Nicklaus' major count, Wayne 'The Great One' Gretzky's smashing all hockey scoring records by 40-60%, Michael Phelps gold medal count, as well as Mark Spitz', and a few others.

Yes, I'm biased as he's a fellow KC-boy, Royals, Jayhawks and Chiefs fan, but his feats are framed fairly well in these two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ao-M3wx8Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61gsA1rJfs

This post was edited on 4/8 7:35 PM by Boiler20

Tom Watson

Originally posted by Boiler20:
I'll give you 'best that ever was', but not by much. Without this guy to duel against in the last 2/3rds of his career, Jack isn't quite the same luminary, and his great friend and rival isn't either. Nicklaus never had to compete against a Jack Nicklaus, mind you.
And without the longevity of this golfer's competitiveness, we would never have been electrified as a world-wide golf community as one in 2009 at Turnberry. If only his amateur friend / caddie had spoken up about being in the moment and probably pumping full adrenaline, we may have witnessed a contender for greatest sporting feat in history, along the lines of Nicklaus' major count, Wayne 'The Great One' Gretzky's smashing all hockey scoring records by 40-60%, Michael Phelps gold medal count, as well as Mark Spitz', and a few others.

Yes, I'm biased as he's a fellow KC-boy, Royals, Jayhawks and Chiefs fan, but his feats are framed fairly well in these two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ao-M3wx8Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61gsA1rJfs

This post was edited on 4/8 7:35 PM by Boiler20

I've never wanted any player to win a tournament more than I wanted Tom to win in 2009. It's just a damn shame his ball released on his approach to the 18th. I'd go a step further and say that if he would have won the Open, it WOULD have been the greatest feat in sports history, and his performance in 2nd should get honorable mention every time that discussion is opened.

Agree. That was a rare 4 days...you had golf fans of literally ALL generations rooting for him, regardless of country or continent, because, imo, it would give literally EVERY golfer of ANY age hope...hope that they didn't have to give a nickel to Father Time, the ONE enemy we all must succumb to at one point or another. I loved the graciousness and honesty he handled every question with in the post round presser.

Definitely one of my 'Top 5' moments as a fan....and being a fan of the aforementioned teams, plus Purdue, one has to really SAVOR these types of moments.

Something Duke fans would have no clue about I'm afraid!

I have seen most of the crop the last 55 years even from Nicklaus beating Dick Crawford of Houston on the Purdue South (Ackerman course) in 1959 (I think '59 is correct) to win the individual NCAA medal 4&3 on the 15th as a boy. No question who is the "greatest" especially when you add his 2 US Am's (18 pro & 2 am titles). It isn't even close. The "best" is easily Tiger just because of raw talent and holding all 4 majors in a 12 month period (14 pro and 3 am). Watson certainly should be in everyone's top 5 (8 majors). Turnberry was special. It would have been the story not of the decade but maybe all sport for 50 years!
This post was edited on 4/8 10:51 PM by threeeputtt

Originally posted by Boiler20:
Agree. That was a rare 4 days...you had golf fans of literally ALL generations rooting for him, regardless of country or continent, because, imo, it would give literally EVERY golfer of ANY age hope...hope that they didn't have to give a nickel to Father Time, the ONE enemy we all must succumb to at one point or another. I loved the graciousness and honesty he handled every question with in the post round presser.

Definitely one of my 'Top 5' moments as a fan....and being a fan of the aforementioned teams, plus Purdue, one has to really SAVOR these types of moments.

Something Duke fans would have no clue about I'm afraid!

Tommy fired 71 today! Pretty damn spectacular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT