ADVERTISEMENT

The Dome Effect

Feb 4, 2023
Okay, I know the court dimensions are the same and every other team is playing in the same environment, but how does playing in a dome with 75,000 spectators affect our game. UConn has been there before, the rest of the teams have probably only played in arenas with a capacity of 20,000. In some ways it seems like the players are more isolated on the playing surface and away from spectators. On the other hand, it's a lot of open air. Hopefully we have a lot of shooting opportunities. Somebody compiled statistics a few years ago and conclude there was no "dome" effect to shooting.

Okay, I know the court dimensions are the same and every other team is playing in the same environment, but how does playing in a dome with 75,000 spectators affect our game. UConn has been there before, the rest of the teams have probably only played in arenas with a capacity of 20,000. In some ways it seems like the players are more isolated on the playing surface and away from spectators. On the other hand, it's a lot of open air. Hopefully we have a lot of shooting opportunities. Somebody compiled statistics a few years ago and conclude there was no "dome" effect to shooting.

Talking with several players after our last game in that dome in Phoenix they told me they felt very uncomfortable shooting. They were also on the road a long time as they opted to go from the Pacific NW, where their first round games were, to Phoenix and not come back to Purdue. Hopefully that will mean we are better rested than last time, which didn't end well.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Talking with several players after our last game in that dome in Phoenix they told me they felt very uncomfortable shooting. They were also on the road a long time as they opted to go from the Pacific NW, where their first round games were, to Phoenix and not come back to Purdue. Hopefully that will mean we are better rested than last time, which didn't end well.
Wha year / game was this?

The shooting background will play a factor, as depth perception will come into play and will be different than normal sized stadiums college teams play in. This can have an impact for shooters as they are not used to so much space behind the backboard. Hopefully, by being out there starting today, they can get up enough shots to get used to it.

Reactions: pulax78 and Schnelk
Some backgrounds are very hard to shoot in. I think it just depends on the players and how they see it. Some may like it.

Wife just reminded me, we were in white. The players said that made it hard to pick up their team mates against the background.

Some backgrounds are very hard to shoot in. I think it just depends on the players and how they see it. Some may like it.

Agree - the spatial background has differing effects. Sometimes, it's also the floor as well.

Maybe they could picture open space just like on an Indiana farm and cornfields in the background - here it's cacti. Just get in the "zone" and shoot it like Jimmy Chitwood.

Agree - the spatial background has differing effects. Sometimes, it's also the floor as well.

Maybe they could picture open space just like on an Indiana farm and cornfields in the background - here it's cacti. Just get in the "zone" and shoot it like Jimmy Chitwood.
I hated when one end was a theater stage with a curtain and the other end was glass doors. It was like going in and out of a cave. 🤣

It makes sense if there is an issue it is on the perimeter. The mid range should be okay and at the rim should be no different. Zach should not be affected. How the mid range compares to behind the arc might be different

It makes sense if there is an issue it is on the perimeter. The mid range should be okay and at the rim should be no different. Zach should not be affected. How the mid range compares to behind the arc might be different
good post, I was going to post the same

It's got to have an effect. Seems like it would favor the team that can establish the inside game. Also, I believe Fletch won the national high school 3-point contest at the final 4. I assume it shot them on the actual court used?

There have been teams that have shot extremely well in final fours. It's just an entirely different environment. A massive stage and additional chaos that needs to be controlled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT