ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan update from Brian Snow

pharoutengineer

Sophomore
Oct 4, 2002
Interesting update from Brian Snow on Swanigan. Apparently he spoke with Roosevelt Barnes over the weekend. Key quote: "California, Purdue and to an extent Michigan State remain in the mix, and who knows, others might be calling as well. The reasons he didn't choose California and Purdue remain in place, however, so there are more questions than answers at the moment because no one expects him to go back to Michigan State."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1545919-notebook-big-gie-drama?s=75

I'll just keep talking to myself here, but I'm curious to know what the reason is that "remains in place" for why he didn't choose Purdue the first time. I would guess the reason for Cal would be distance from home.

I'll just keep talking to myself here, but I'm curious to know what the reason is that "remains in place" for why he didn't choose Purdue the first time. I would guess the reason for Cal would be distance from home.

You and most everyone else I presume.

I almost wish CMP would tell CS to just nevermind.. I know he is a stud and a difference maker and what not, but this whole soap opera is just getting annoying.

It sucks that recruiting has turned in to this crappy process.

It really is a shame that this is what recruiting has become. I feel as if it's even way worse now than only 5-6 years ago.

"I'll just keep talking to myself here, but I'm curious to know what the reason is that "remains in place" for why he didn't choose Purdue the first time. I would guess the reason for Cal would be distance from home."

There is no way....I repeat... NO WAY Painter should tell CS to just never mind. I don't care if this takes another 4 weeks to play out. All I care, as well as every other Purdue fan, is he picks us. What a ridiculous comment. Painter actually needs to find a way to dial up the process and try to land this kid. He's a great fit and a major prize, not only for the immediate team, but future recruits if Painter can find a way to turn him into a big time player and NBA star. This kid is so much bigger than Kessel has the capacity to grasp. Thanks for sharing the link!

I almost wish CMP would tell CS to just nevermind.. I know he is a stud and a difference maker and what not, but this whole soap opera is just getting annoying.

No one has made this a soap opera but the fans and the media. The player has not tweeted out one thing to draw attention.

Good grief enough with the insults guys it's obvious people are going to get aggravated over this situation

"I'll just keep talking to myself here, but I'm curious to know what the reason is that "remains in place" for why he didn't choose Purdue the first time. I would guess the reason for Cal would be distance from home."

There is no way....I repeat... NO WAY Painter should tell CS to just never mind. I don't care if this takes another 4 weeks to play out. All I care, as well as every other Purdue fan, is he picks us. What a ridiculous comment. Painter actually needs to find a way to dial up the process and try to land this kid. He's a great fit and a major prize, not only for the immediate team, but future recruits if Painter can find a way to turn him into a big time player and NBA star. This kid is so much bigger than Kessel has the capacity to grasp. Thanks for sharing the link!

Painter may need to "dial it up" as you say, but he DOES NOT need to do it with a kid who has multiple "handlers".

Want to recruit with the big boys, you will have to deal with handlers.

No one has made this a soap opera but the fans and the media. The player has not tweeted out one thing to draw attention.
This is exactly what I was going to say, the only one that this is a dramatic process too are the people on the outside looking in making it that way and trying to sell newspapers. (Yes I know, it's an expression). To the people on the inside, who actually know what's happening, it's business as usual, no real drama just point counterpoint.

"Want to recruit with the big boys, you will have to deal with handlers."

+1,000

IMO, we need to get over the "Handlers" stigma. The major players in the game deal with it and so should our team. If and when we decide we'll just not go after the big prize because we don';t deal with "Handlers" we're done. The kid is just a kid who is maybe struggling with this major decision. We need to get over it fast.

.......and how should CMP "dial it up"? I said this before, but I hope CS does decide to join the program, however if he isn't committed to the program I won't lose one minutes sleep if he goes elsewhere.

It's pretty much just Kesselschmiede. Pretty much all he does, really.
Not even remotely true. I've spent the better part of today discussing basketball at length. I know... I know you easily miss stuff. But do try and keep up, especially since very few even want you here to begin with.

.......and how should CMP "dial it up"? I said this before, but I hope CS does decide to join the program, however if he isn't committed to the program I won't lose one minutes sleep if he goes elsewhere.
Agree completely. There is no doubt he would be instant impact, but we will b fine without him too.

I think people are having a real hard time differentiating between the recruiting process and actually playing basketball. It's one of the biggest decisions of his life, and you can bet that he wants to play for any one of the teams that has recruited him for years and he's made a bond with. There is nothing personal to anyone on any of the teams that he's doing. He's doing everything in his power to do what's best for him and make the best decision for himself. As he should. If he wasn't 100% in love with a team and now he could be committed to them 100% he wouldn't even consider going there. Why does there have to be that one perfect team that he would play harder for than the other?

While I wouldn't want Painter to tell Swanigan to nevermind, I think that is entirely reasonable for Painter to give Swanigan a date by which he needs a signed LOI or he's offering the last scholarship to Persons. It wouldn't mean that the door would be completely closed to Swanigan at that point, but if Persons accepts, the offer to Swanigan may become contingent on Painter being able to free a scholarship (perhaps with one of his classmates being willing to go to prep school for a year).

While I wouldn't want Painter to tell Swanigan to nevermind, I think that is entirely reasonable for Painter to give Swanigan a date by which he needs a signed LOI or he's offering the last scholarship to Persons. It wouldn't mean that the door would be completely closed to Swanigan at that point, but if Persons accepts, the offer to Swanigan may become contingent on Painter being able to free a scholarship (perhaps with one of his classmates being willing to go to prep school for a year).
Good point. I guess my sarcastic post is in response to this whole mess it all has become.

Painter may need to "dial it up" as you say, but he DOES NOT need to do it with a kid who has multiple "handlers".
What "handlers"? DO you have knowledge of such people? What are "they" pushing him to do? Tell us more 'ol swamy. Tell us more.

:cool:

No way should he do that. Persons can wait

Don't play chicken with talent

Beyond a doubt. Let this kid make his decision. We have no reason to pressure him into this. That'd be just like these phantom "Handlers" are accused of. LOL.

Reactions: dmosier4

It's not chicken. It is creating a little urgency while letting Swanigan know that you are juggling interests because of his delayed timeline. I don't think it would hurt Painter's chances of landing Swanigan at all. If the deadline passes, Painter would still find a way to honor a Swanigan commitment, but I would much rather have an LOI than just a verbal commitment.

This isn't that much different from Vince Edwards' recruitment. Edwards never committed to UM, but was said to be strongly favoring them for a while. In the end, MP was patient and won the commitment. BoilerNation has been pretty happy with the outcome.

Patience, Grasshopper.

We have no urgency for persons

If rumors are to believed, Persons wants to go to Purdue. But if Purdue does nothing, I've got to think that Persons will commit to Xavier.

The upside of Persons is that he is tough and hard-nosed, was freshman of the year in his conference, and from what I've heard, was a really good outside shooter in high school before tearing his ACL, so he should be able to get that touch back. Purdue has had a really tough time recruiting point guards and now a proven college player wants to come with three years of remaining eligibility. I don't think you let that pass.

As far as Swanigan is concerned, if he really wanted to come to Purdue, giving him until a few days before the signing deadline is plenty of time to decide. If he is just waiting for a Cal opening, deal with it when he decides he doesn't want to wait on Cal any longer.

Just in case, talk to Cline and Weatherford now and make sure that one is willing to go the prep school route, if it comes to that. I think that prep school could make a lot of sense for Cline to build up his body and get more ready for Division 1, especially since Purdue has Stephens and Mathias. Weatherford would certainly benefit from the higher level of competition. I think one would be willing to go if it meant making room for Swanigan.

If rumors are to believed, Persons wants to go to Purdue. But if Purdue does nothing, I've got to think that Persons will commit to Xavier.

The upside of Persons is that he is tough and hard-nosed, was freshman of the year in his conference, and from what I've heard, was a really good outside shooter in high school before tearing his ACL, so he should be able to get that touch back. Purdue has had a really tough time recruiting point guards and now a proven college player wants to come with three years of remaining eligibility. I don't think you let that pass.

As far as Swanigan is concerned, if he really wanted to come to Purdue, giving him until a few days before the signing deadline is plenty of time to decide. If he is just waiting for a Cal opening, deal with it when he decides he doesn't want to wait on Cal any longer.

Just in case, talk to Cline and Weatherford now and make sure that one is willing to go the prep school route, if it comes to that. I think that prep school could make a lot of sense for Cline to build up his body and get more ready for Division 1, especially since Purdue has Stephens and Mathias. Weatherford would certainly benefit from the higher level of competition. I think one would be willing to go if it meant making room for Swanigan.

Do you want Persons over, say, Xavier Simpson in the 2016 class?

BoilerDaddy

Swanigan IS NOT signing an LOI. He has no need to.

This will go for a while.

Exactly. It's a great that he wants to go here and we are interested but he's still as much as an unknown as most of the recruits are and he has to sit a year. If we miss him we still have ample opportunity to recruit a replacement of quality. Hence no urgency.

BoilerDaddy

can you imagine what this would do to recruiting if this is the new trend. I know others do it but it would be great to totally flip the game. Hah

can you imagine what this would do to recruiting if this is the new trend. I know others do it but it would be great to totally flip the game. Hah

I think you are going to see it a lot more. Once a player signs, they have no recourse if a coach decides to leave.

Do you want Persons over, say, Xavier Simpson in the 2016 class?

I don't know, but I have no more confidence that Simpson will choose Purdue than I did Glynn Watson a year ago. His quotes make me think that he is a strong Xavier lean.

I think you are going to see it a lot more. Once a player signs, they have no recourse if a coach decides to leave.
I think that the schools have all the power right now and just would find it funny if say 80 percent of the top 150 stop signing loi. Would completely change recruiting. Then they just decide to show up to the school they want hah. Maybe collegiate players need a union hah. Where have we heard this before.

. Quite frankly Painter is a mediocre at best recruiter and he needs to keep doing whatever it takes to land Swanigan and change the tide. I don't care if he joins in November like Octeus as long as he comes to Purdue. Go get him Painter!

BoilerDaddy

I agree that it will go on for a while, but I don't think that's good for Purdue. I think you have to try for the LOI when he's reportedly a Purdue lean, even if it is a long shot. I am always going to try to close the deal even if it is a long shot, but I'm also going to have a Plan B if I am not successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT