ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan U17 USA TEAM

Nov 2, 2012
Hi! Just thought I'd post the stats for Swanigan last year for the U17 team for those who haven't seen them.

GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
7-0 98 14.0 16-23 .696 0-0 .000 24-31 .774 19 21 40 5.7 16 0 6 11 4 11 56 8.0

Hi! Just thought I'd post the stats for Swanigan last year for the U17 team for those who haven't seen them.

GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg
7-0 98 14.0 16-23 .696 0-0 .000 24-31 .774 19 21 40 5.7 16 0 6 11 4 11 56 8.0

Thanks! Played on a pretty loaded team. Did the best with the minutes given. Can't wait to see if he made the team again

Thanks dumpsterfyre! Short but sweet peek there.
That's from the 13th. The 2nd cut is very soon I believe. Our local paper just reported the 1st cut this morning. Is this the Coach K team? Who's making these roster decisions?

Thanks 18. So it's his Arizona staff with him, I presume. Are any of the other U19 team candidates from his own squad? I obviously want both our guys to make the cuts.

Thanks dumpsterfyre! Short but sweet peek there.
That's from the 13th. The 2nd cut is very soon I believe. Our local paper just reported the 1st cut this morning. Is this the Coach K team? Who's making these roster decisions?

Final cut is June 21st, or at least that's when the camp ends and they will have the roster to 12 by that point.

An interesting comment was made, in a companion article on the USA Basketball site, about Caleb:

"Caleb Swanigan (Homestead H.S./Fort Wayne, Ind.)has experienced a busy spring, and he hopes the summer is the same way. ...... Additionally, Swanigan signed a National Letter of Intent with Purdue University....".

Is this the case? I thought that was the whole point; that he wasn't going to sign one...?

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/06/eventful-spring-for-u19-hopeful-caleb-swanigan.aspx

Final cut is June 21st, or at least that's when the camp ends and they will have the roster to 12 by that point.
I've seen other articles (but can't find them now) that said final cut could be made as early as today (Wednesday 6/17). We may know very soon.

Have to love Biggie's comment on the front page about being one and done. It's a National Title or nothing at all for him.

Which I think means he gives us two years to make it happen.

Thanks 18. So it's his Arizona staff with him, I presume. Are any of the other U19 team candidates from his own squad? I obviously want both our guys to make the cuts.

TJ leaf was one of the players that was cut in the first round of cuts. He is a 2016 Arizona commit currently. Not sure if there are any other Arizona players trying out.

TJ leaf was one of the players that was cut in the first round of cuts. He is a 2016 Arizona commit currently. Not sure if there are any other Arizona players trying out.

Which is surprising since Sean Miller is the U19 coach. This makes me believe the evaluators, Matt Painter included, are being objective about the selection process and Vince and Biggie made the first cut on their own merit rather than their status as Purdue players.

Which is surprising since Sean Miller is the U19 coach. This makes me believe the evaluators, Matt Painter included, are being objective about the selection process and Vince and Biggie made the first cut on their own merit rather than their status as Purdue players.
In an article I read, it stated the coach had very little say during the first cut. If it was up to Miller my guess is Leaf would still be around. Where the coach gets more say is when it's up to the last player or two during the second cut, and they prefer a player that would more fit their coaching style vs the others. That's when their opinion carries some weight.

In an article I read, it stated the coach had very little say during the first cut. If it was up to Miller my guess is Leaf would still be around. Where the coach gets more say is when it's up to the last player or two during the second cut, and they prefer a player that would more fit their coaching style. That's when their opinion carries some weight.
They say that but there have been plenty of instances where kids made these teams only because their coach was the head guy. Knight was famous for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT