ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan Interviewed

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Saw this reported, but Swanigan himself admits Purdue not even in his top 3.

At some point to be competitive nationally, Painter needs to improve where he can land these in state top 40 guys. To not be in the top 3....apparently he may have to improve his methods a lot....especially when the last two of these misses were Purdue heavy guys early on.......
This post was edited on 4/17 1:24 PM by Boiler Buck

Swanigan

You assume the problem is Painter because of all the talent purdue got before him? It's like the back up quarterback is always the fan favorite, because the chance of improvement exists, but there is much more to this equation than Matt Painter.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by euchre13:
You assume the problem is Painter because of all the talent purdue got before him? It's like the back up quarterback is always the fan favorite, because the chance of improvement exists, but there is much more to this equation than Matt Painter.

While Painter clearly has signed some nice recruits lately, and has increased on court results lately & I support his efforts for the most part........in this instance, Painter missed badly. But I forgot, in this lack of personal responsibility age we live in, it is not nice to point out the truth when it comes to accountability.

Knowing Painter though, I sure he is accountable as he always comes off very much that way, and knows his methods missed here.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:
Originally posted by euchre13:

While Painter clearly has signed some nice recruits lately, and has increased on court results lately & I support his efforts for the most part........in this instance, Painter missed badly. But I forgot, in this lack of personal responsibility age we live in, it is not nice to point out the truth when it comes to accountability.

Knowing Painter though, I sure he is accountable as he always comes off very much that way, and knows his methods missed here.

Maybe instead of using sarcasm you could reply to what I said

In my opinion.....

I wish (and I'm sure many others have the same) that Jay Simpson could have been able to play basketball to his full potential without being forced to quit due to health. Had Jay just finished his sophomore season, I wouldn't even be wanting Caleb Swanigan in Gold and Black.

I will never want a player who wants to be "one and done" ever to come to our school.

An unfortunate thing to my wants, is the college game seems to be catered to those players. Those not playing that game are being left at more and more of a disadvantage. It's our own "Game of Thrones"

Yep, 1 recruit definitely makes it a problem!!

Same story, different day. There are plenty of threads you can go play around on.

Buck, maybe it's not Painter. Maybe it's a better offer? Maybe he felt closer to the MSU players. Maybe it's a not so beautiful campus. Or a not so modern Mackey. Or maybe it's a lot of other things.

Any coach can make the offer. He can't make someone sign.

Originally posted by lbodel:
Well if you think letting 4 players that were Purdue leans as young players who also ended up as a top 40 recruit, slip away to another state is not a problem........then I guess we have a different perspective.

I hate seeing Indiana players head up to Michigan especially when they have Purdue ties. I have had to think if I would rather Painter quit trying to land a 5 star and concentrate on 4's and 3's or keep chuging along trying to grab that big time recruit. I for one want him to keep trying. He can't get a 5 star unless he tries and he keeps trying. Even Charlie Brown kicked the football once...it might have been on Family Guy and Peter had to beat up Lucy for him to do it but he did it. Keep going until we get that big time recruit.

Well if you think letting 4 players that were Purdue leans as young players who also ended up as a top 40 recruit, slip away to another state is not a problem........then I guess we have a different perspective.
Some of you read entirely too much in to things. Fact of the matter is not one of us on here was part of the recruiting process of Swanigan so not one of us has any clue what goes on or is said.

Purdue leans? Hahaha. Says who? I guess when you don't have anything to back up your opinion you just make stuff up.

This is a much larger issue than Painter. Hazell cannot recruit and Versyp has not been able to either until this new class.

I would start with Burke.

th

Swanigan is dead to me now........and he wishes he was 6'9" LOL

I am with Buck here.

Painter has spent A LOT of time recruiting guys like Tyler Zeller, Branden Dawson, Chasson Randle, Gary Harris, and Caleb Swanigan. You are in denial if you don't think it should matter that a coaching staff misses on so many players that they spend that much time recruiting.

This post was edited on 4/17 6:46 PM by nagemj02

I like Coach Painter and I like his straight forward approach but I am an adult. Unfortunately with the coddled kids of today that will not attract most big time recruits. Speaking of that and the ability of Cuonzo Martin's ability to get 5 star kids, here is an excerpt from Keaton Grant's book "Access Granted": "My teammates and I were left with somewhat of a void when Coach Martin departed for Missouri State. Coach Martin was our Coach Izzo. He was our liaison with the head coach. He was a confidante. This is not a criticism about current coaches, but it is a fact that when Coach Martin left, he took with him that person who exemplified being personal"
I know this book is old and most of you have probably read it, but seeing everyone complaining about recruiting, I thought of this. I think Coach will get the right guys that fit his style and we will be a tough team. Just quit putting your hopes into getting 5 stars

Originally posted by nagemj02:

I am with Buck here.

Painter has spent A LOT of time recruiting guys like Tyler Zeller, Branden Dawson, Chasson Randle, Gary Harris, and Caleb Swanigan. You are in denial if you don't think it should matter that a coaching staff misses on so many players that they spend that much time recruiting.

This post was edited on 4/17 6:46 PM by nagemj02
So what you're saying is that if a kid doesn't give his verbal as say a sophomore that Painter should then stop recruiting him because there is no way to justify time spent on a kid making a different decision than Purdue for a billion different possible reasons.

If that's not what you're saying then please explain how to achieve your goals here?

You've got to be kidding me.

Do you know how many coaches spend time recruiting kids they never land? They can only choose 1 school.

If you look at recruiting, about 2-4 5 star players go to Big Ten schools a year. That's to all 14 programs. And over half of the 5 star recruits in recent years have been going to IU.

So to act like EVERYONE is landing these 5 star recruits except us is just BS.

Comparing Painter's recruiting to Hazell's is like comparing a Marriott with a HoJo. Not anywhere near close to being on the same level.

Originally posted by BBG:

Some of you read entirely too much in to things. Fact of the matter is not one of us on here was part of the recruiting process of Swanigan so not one of us has any clue what goes on or is said.
Aren't you the one that was saying how Swanigan was really serious about Purdue, and wheter we got him or not, he was strongly considering us? I know I considered the source, hopefully others weren't misled.

Originally posted by cprh9u:

Aren't you the one that was saying how Swanigan was really serious about Purdue, and wheter we got him or not, he was strongly considering us? I know I considered the source, hopefully others weren't misled.
And at the time I made the comment I wasn't wrong. Unlike you who is wrong, well, all the time. I mean it's not like the only thing I really said is that Purdue had a shot, which was true ...

I really wish ignore worked across the phone app. Then people would have to be drug down by your feeble minded posts. Wake me when you have your first coherent thought, then we all can celebrate!
This post was edited on 4/17 10:40 PM by BBG

You've got to be kidding me.

Do you know how many coaches spend time recruiting kids they never land? They can only choose 1 school.

If you look at recruiting, about 2-4 5 star players go to Big Ten schools a year. That's to all 14 programs. And over half of the 5 star recruits in recent years have been going to IU.

So to act like EVERYONE is landing these 5 star recruits except us is just BS.
careful, logic isn't allowed amongst some of the haters .

Cp quit trolling man... I challenge you to an arm wrestling challenge anywhere in indiana you like. I win You quit posting, you win I quit posting... You game?

I'm curious who these 4 or 5 players who turned into 5 star recruits, who were early leans to Purdue are? GR3 and GH were NEVER coming to Purdue. There are two main issues in recruiting 5 star players, first, they almost always have giant egos and don't want to hear the truth, and second, the whole mantra of what Purdue stands for, "Defense Lives Here", many high school kids have no interest in buying into that, especially top recruits, thus they look elsewhere regardless of ties here.

Originally posted by boilerstexas:
I'm curious who these 4 or 5 players who turned into 5 star recruits, who were early leans to Purdue are? GR3 and GH were NEVER coming to Purdue. There are two main issues in recruiting 5 star players, first, they almost always have giant egos and don't want to hear the truth, and second, the whole mantra of what Purdue stands for, "Defense Lives Here", many high school kids have no interest in buying into that, especially top recruits, thus they look elsewhere regardless of ties here.
I don't agree here. Recruits like Gary Harris didn't have an ego to deal with. And the recruits going to UK know they must defend to get into the games, just like at Purdue. Just my opinion.

Not all but usually, I'm taking about team culture, of course if anyone wants to win they need to play defense, however, what is the perceived calling card or what is the team identity, MSU, crash the boards, aggressive play, UK a bunch of NBA players in the making who try to play as a team, Etc.... Purdue, defense lives here, just saying that is not appealing to that many HS kids, especially top recruits, perception is much stronger than reality.

Wow. That Keaton Grant quote says it all. Purdue needs another Cuonzo. That's really, really worrisome. If I'm Painter, and I see that statement, how can you not think that something needs to be fixed? Grant basically said that Painter doesn't know how to relate to people, specifically recruits. As a head bball cosch, that is really bad. It's more than X's and O's.

This post was edited on 4/18 6:27 PM by BoilerDeac

This post was edited on 4/18 6:28 PM by BoilerDeac

Originally posted by BoilerDeac:
Wow. That Keaton Grant quote says it all. Purdue needs another Cuonzo. That's really, really worrisome. If I'm Painter, and I see that statement, how can you not think that something needs to be fixed? Grant basically said that Painter doesn't know how to relate to people, specifically recruits. As a head bball cosch, that is really bad. It's more than X's and O's.

Don't agree. You are making assumptions. If you really think that, I am not here to change your mind on that. I will change your mind that someone else has a different take on this.

Originally posted by cprh9u:

And at the time I made the comment I wasn't wrong. Unlike you who is wrong, well, all the time. I mean it's not like the only thing I really said is that Purdue had a shot, which was true ...

I really wish ignore worked across the phone app. Then people would have to be drug down by your feeble minded posts. Wake me when you have your first coherent thought, then we all can celebrate!
This post was edited on 4/17 10:40 PM by BBG
Uh oh, BBG. Now it's YOUR fault cp is on the ledge.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Inspector100:

Don't agree. You are making assumptions. If you really think that, I am not here to change your mind on that. I will change your mind that someone else has a different take on this.
Its not really an assumption, lets be real honest its the truth. Painter has not landed any of the high profile players he went after.

If you are a one and done type of player why would you choose Purdue over MSU, UK, Duke, UNC, etc? Purdue has not proven they are even remotely close to those teams on a yearly basis.

And how is that unique to Purdue? There are dozens of major conference teams that are in the same boat.

Originally posted by 04DarkShadowGT:

................ Painter has not landed any of the high profile players he went after.

If you are a one and done type of player why would you choose Purdue over MSU, UK, Duke, UNC, etc? Purdue has not proven they are even remotely close to those teams on a yearly basis.
Haase! Also, these guys don't really know if they are "one and done" type players when they are in the recruiting process or in the middle of that year on a team. They figure that out at the end of the year or in the last third of the year when evaluations and levels of success are apparent. In other words, they still have to earn it and sometimes they don't.

Originally posted by 04DarkShadowGT:

Its not really an assumption, lets be real honest its the truth. Painter has not landed any of the high profile players he went after.

Who wants a one and done player anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT