ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan decommitted...

Apr 1, 2013
Reports that Purdue is a strong leader for landing his services. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this...

@GoodmanESPN: Michigan State commit Caleb Swanigan has decommitted, source told ESPN. Hearing Purdue is strong for a landing spot.

Reports that Purdue is a strong leader for landing his services. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this...

I just did a little dance.

thumbs-up-boy.jpg

Reactions: Noodle and Da_Bull
Paging all the individuals who said 2 weeks ago that he wouldn't make that much of an impact anyway!

Seriously though, this could be one of the wilder recruitments of recent memory. I wonder what Goodman is hearing in regards to Purdue; I thought Swanigan stated who his top 3 were after committing to MSU and Purdue wasn't in there. One would have to think Cal would be a strong consideration still too. Just bizarre.

You know I always thought bIzzo's reaction to his commitment was very odd. Almost like he didn't expect him to come there...wonder if that had anything to do with it. At any rate, obviously, would love him at Purdue. Always thought he was a great fit and was miffed he went somewhere else.

Holy crap .. we land Swanigan this way, what will the mud slingers complain about then? I mean not only would we win a star, but we would of taken one from Izzo (well CMP would).

Sorry .. couldn't resist :)

Could this be related to the Ivan Rabb and recent Jaylen Brown commitment? If so, all signs point to Cal. Players also tend to avoid re-committing to a conference rival.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best anyway!!

Swanigan himself said we were NOT in his top 3. Based on that I would say Cal or Duke...his others in the top 3. Duke is now after a 6-8 guy who is the son of David Robinson. So looks like CAL.

If he comes to Purdue after saying that above....recruiting is plain CRAZY.

Reactions: euchre13
Holy crap .. we land Swanigan this way, what will the mud slingers complain about then? I mean not only would we win a star, but we would of taken one from Izzo (well CMP would).

6 and 6 and going to a bowl !!!

Digger "no roads to Lafayette" -- therefore no credibility

Sorry, couldn't resist

Swanigan himself said we were NOT in his top 3. Based on that I would say Cal or Duke...his others in the top 3.

If he comes to Purdue after saying that....recruiting is plain CRAZY.
I think the whole process is crazy. But at this point it's still wait and see. The ones who really need to eat crow are the ones who were saying Rosie stabbed us in the back. 10 years from now the stories of how this went down will resemble a Dr Seuss book.

Holy crap .. we land Swanigan this way, what will the mud slingers complain about then?
For starters, I'd hope someone would be on the ready to give Caleb and his family a couple towels to wipe off all the mud flung on them. Stuff like him being afraid of competing with H&H, handlers like his ruining the college game, etc. For Purdue's sake, I'll cross my fingers his internet connection was down for a couple days after committing in hopes he wasn't reading this site. A situation like this is why people should try to curb angry message board rants, most notably the stuff directed at individual players, their families, etc.

Hi guys,

Cal fan here. For various reasons, there is an extremely strong likelihood that Swanigan will NOT land at cal. I'm glad it was you over MSU. enjoy swanigan.
Curious of your take on those "reasons"... I know Cal is full on scholarships at the moment. Is there something more than that in play?

From what has been posted on this site, it seems it's far from over but there is a strong indication that he's coming here and soon. Would be huge, and hopefully deflate a lot of the straw man arguments that people can't get past. Great fit for this team, and will make us really attractive to any PG still floating out there.

Curious of your take on those "reasons"... I know Cal is full on scholarships at the moment. Is there something more than that in play?

Multiple Cal sites have reported that they have heard from sources within the program that Cal is no longer recruiting Swanigan.

The guess is that one of those reasons is that Cal is indeed out of scholarships and Martin does not want to pull someone's scholly. The other reason posited is that Cal is a little leery of getting into bed with Roosevelt Barnes.

Plus, its obviously rumored that Barnes clearly wants Swanigan at Purdue.

From what has been posted on this site, it seems it's far from over but there is a strong indication that he's coming here and soon. Would be huge, and hopefully deflate a lot of the straw man arguments that people can't get past. Great fit for this team, and will make us really attractive to any PG still floating out there.

They arent strawmen, however, it would certainly quell the angst about his recruiting. Kudos to him if it works out.

So this whole soap opera raises no concerns with anyone? I know this is part of the game but I'm not interested in a drama queen regardless of how many stars. I wasn't devastated when he picked MSU and I won't be dancing in the streets if he picks us. And his handler had no idea??

Last edited:
So this whole soap opera raises no concerns with anyone? I know this is part of the game but I'm not interested in a drama queen regardless of how many stars. I was devastated when he picked MSU and I won't be dancing in the streets if he picks us. And his handler had no idea??
Does that make Haas a "drama queen" for doing the same thing?

You are SOOOO WRRROOOONNNNGGG!!!! The only reason we'd get him is because Izzo changed his mind not because Painter was a positive recruiter. Remember NOTHING good has ever come from MP's recruiting and the meager team he's assembled is just because nobody else wanted them. I think we should rename them "The Lost Boys!!!"

June enrollment can't get here soon enough. Anyone know if a player can sign scholarship papers to multiple schools? I assume they can since that's seems to be the plan.

This is simple. If he comes here, we're #1, and if he goes somewhere else, he's much, much worse than that one low-ranked guy that didn't play last year.

Signed,

Someone who has been on this board for a decade at least.

Anybody know if he's a decent kid? I will start by stating that I know absolutely nothing about him. Saw at some point that the word "Sauce" was associated with him. We just purged ourselves of the last of the "Sauce" and I like the components of this team very much. But if he's a good kid and fits the program then bring him on board. If not, let's not touch him with a 10' pole. BTFU

Anybody know if he's a decent kid? I will start by stating that I know absolutely nothing about him. Saw at some point that the word "Sauce" was associated with him. We just purged ourselves of the last of the "Sauce" and I like the components of this team very much. But if he's a good kid and fits the program then bring him on board. If not, let's not touch him with a 10' pole. BTFU
With as long as Painter has been on him, and as many of times as he's been here, if he wasn't a good kid I don't think Painter would still be pushing as hard as he is. Just my opinion with nothing backing it up. He's had a bit of a journey in life, hopefully it's got him to where he wants to be and that's Purdue.

One thing is for sure, if he does come here, I expect new ranking to immediately come out with his evaluations plummeting him to a 4 star outside of the top 40, and that is why MSU cooled on him. haha.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I do trust Painter at the helm of this ship. I think this group as a chance to be special next season and Matt is to be given some credit for recruiting and developing these current players. Just a little leery of upsetting the apple cart so to say. If Caleb's a good kid then welcome to West La la

ADVERTISEMENT