ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan Critique

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
Another Swanigan thread, but I haven't seen much actual analysis of his play or his on-court demeanor.

Granted, all I've seen are all the videos, so I welcome anybody with more info/knowledge than me.

It was hard for me to tell that he was a top 10 recruit from a lot of the videos. He was just so much bigger and stronger than all his opponents that I couldn't take much from it. He's a rebounding machine though. He's not an above-the-rim player, so I think that bodes well for him being here more than one year.

However, I was really impressed with his IQ and passing. It surprised me how unselfish he was.

And he was extremely well spoken in his interviews. His responses didn't go toward where the interviewer wanted. He kept his answers short and pithy. It's as if he was raised by a sports agent or something. Seems like a really good kid.

Another Swanigan thread, but I haven't seen much actual analysis of his play or his on-court demeanor.

Granted, all I've seen are all the videos, so I welcome anybody with more info/knowledge than me.

It was hard for me to tell that he was a top 10 recruit from a lot of the videos. He was just so much bigger and stronger than all his opponents that I couldn't take much from it. He's a rebounding machine though. He's not an above-the-rim player, so I think that bodes well for him being here more than one year.

However, I was really impressed with his IQ and passing. It surprised me how unselfish he was.

And he was extremely well spoken in his interviews. His responses didn't go toward where the interviewer wanted. He kept his answers short and pithy. It's as if he was raised by a sports agent or something. Seems like a really good kid.

I said it a lot before the commit....if he were to go anywhere else he'd have been foolish. He gets to play next to an elite rim protecter/defender this year to learn and next year can really be the man.

He is a swift passer and that will help keep our offense as a whole flowing. Needs to work on his outside shot a bit. Not the most reliable asset in his game. That said, if he can be a 12 and 7 guy for us this year we will be VERY VERY VERY good. Anything over that is just gravy and makes us better. We are going to be a bear to handle starting Edwards, Swanigan and Hammons....3 guys who can post you up and take major advantage of size defecits. I mean, how many teams have a 6'8" 3 to guard Edwards now?

I'm not worried about his offensive production. I'm more concerned (though that might be a strong word) about his defensive ability if he is moving farther away from the basket defending other teams 4's. From my understanding he enjoyed playing on a team with another big, with both of them clogging the paint. The question is whether he has enough experience cutting in and out to defend a smaller / quicker team going with a 4 guard line-up.

I said it a lot before the commit....if he were to go anywhere else he'd have been foolish. He gets to play next to an elite rim protecter/defender this year to learn and next year can really be the man.

He is a swift passer and that will help keep our offense as a whole flowing. Needs to work on his outside shot a bit. Not the most reliable asset in his game. That said, if he can be a 12 and 7 guy for us this year we will be VERY VERY VERY good. Anything over that is just gravy and makes us better. We are going to be a bear to handle starting Edwards, Swanigan and Hammons....3 guys who can post you up and take major advantage of size defecits. I mean, how many teams have a 6'8" 3 to guard Edwards now?

At 12 & 7 he would be the top scorer and rebounder for our team last year. Given that, yes that would be very good especially if the 12 comes on limited shot attempts and put backs.

I've heard people express concern about defending a stretch 4 but keep in mind that he has improved his fitness and cut some weight since the videos that are out there of him. That has to help his quickness. I think he will be fine. Teams have to worry more about how to defend him with all our other weapons on the floor too. I'm not worried at all.

I've heard people express concern about defending a stretch 4 but keep in mind that he has improved his fitness and cut some weight since the videos that are out there of him. That has to help his quickness. I think he will be fine. Teams have to worry more about how to defend him with all our other weapons on the floor too. I'm not worried at all.
I was going to say the same thing. A lot of these videos are from last summer. He was in much better shape this season, and he finished strong (dunk) a lot more during the season than last summer.

If you just look a pictures of him now compared to his videos, he easily looks 30 pounds lighter. He probably worked on this knowing he would play the 4 in college and have to step outside some on D. He has prepared himself well!

I mentioned earlier that Paul Biancardi on ESPN said Caleb reminds him of Zach Randolph. He also said he doesn't have lots of lift but he is difficult to stop. He felt his in and out game is very good for a big guy. That said, I assume he means jumping ability while planted, with his lift comment. I've seen guys who don't have that spring or lift from a standing point but because of their size or girth, they tend to get the rebound they're after. I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about since I haven't seen Caleb play that much. Does this seem accurate?

Last edited:
If you just look a pictures of him now compared to his videos, he easily looks 30 pounds lighter. He probably worked on this knowing he would play the 4 in college and have to step outside some on D. He has prepared himself well!

Didn't he weigh in at 271 at Nike hoops summit? So he was 3 bills you're saying?

Can someone explain the refusal to sign the LOI?
If you don't have to, why would you? It gives schools all the power in the process.

He's coming here. Stop worrying?

Most top prospects don't sign them. It's a vehicle that helps garuntee a player a spot. Top prospects don't have to worry about that

goboilers2: The only reason he isn't signing one right now is because he doesn't have to. He can just wait until he enrolls for the first semester (or atleast that's how I understand it.).

goboilers2: The only reason he isn't signing one right now is because he doesn't have to. He can just wait until he enrolls for the first semester (or atleast that's how I understand it.).

The article I read said that by only signing a tender, he can still transfer without having to sit out a year, as long as it was to a non B1G school. My question is, I thought the transfer rule was an NCAA thing?

Agree. That is a starting NBA front court. 7'0 Center, 6'9 PF and 6'7 Small Forward. I'd put that front court on paper against any team in the nation. As for the back court. Who ever is playing the guard spots should hold their head in shame if they can't knock down the open shots they will get.

Agree. That is a starting NBA front court. 7'0 Center, 6'9 PF and 6'7 Small Forward. I'd put that front court on paper against any team in the nation. As for the back court. Who ever is playing the guard spots should hold their head in shame if they can't knock down the open shots they will get.

Not to mention additional 7'2" and 6'10" back-ups. The 7'2" man-child is also on the NBA's radar screen.

I mentioned earlier that Paul Biancardi on ESPN said Caleb reminds him of Zach Randolph. He also said he doesn't have lots of lift but he is difficult to stop. He felt his in and out game is very good for a big guy. That said, I assume he means jumping ability while planted, with his lift comment. I've seen guys who don't have that spring or lift from a standing point but because of their size or girth, they tend to get the rebound they're after. I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about since I haven't seen Caleb play that much. Does this seem accurate?

If someone spoke about inside (in) and outside (out) game being good I would take that to mean the kid can (and he can) go out away from the basket to 15 or so and still be a threat..

Let's hope he doesn't act like Zach Randolph.

I see a kid with tons of talent. Is he NBA ready now? Nope. But a year or two to develop his game without having to be the featured guy in every game will do wonders for him.

I've always wondered why people get on to a player because he doesn't jump high. To me I have always thought so what? If the ball goes in or he gets a rebound or whatever, who cares if he can jump high or what have you. Boggles my mind at the things people nitpick a player on.

I've always wondered why people get on to a player because he doesn't jump high. To me I have always thought so what? If the ball goes in or he gets a rebound or whatever, who cares if he can jump high or what have you. Boggles my mind at the things people nitpick a player on.
You don't understand why being able to jump might be important in the game of basketball?

Reactions: Cleanface
You don't understand why being able to jump might be important in the game of basketball?
No that isn't my point at all. I'll simplify it, if the end result is the same who cares if the kid can dunk or not? Do you get any more points or extra rebounds if you jump higher while grabbing a board or putting the ball through the hoop? That is my point.

Interesting that the two players he gets compared to are NBA forwards that played for Izzo. I wonder what the real terms of this "business decision" really were.
Have we even heard from Swanigan since he committed?

Interesting that the two players he gets compared to are NBA forwards that played for Izzo. I wonder what the real terms of this "business decision" really were.

Herbie,

Go back to the MSU board. You just come cross as a big loser, a total whiner. Boo hoo. You lost a recruit to Purdue. How about the recruits Izzo stole from Purdue? The Branden Dawson recruitment was very questionable, for instance. You guys act like Izzo is some kind of saint. He's allowed some real thugs in his program, some of whom managed to graduate despite having rape charges against them.

Get this through your thick skull. Biggie is coming to Purdue because Purdue has two legit NBA-caliber centers he can play next to in Hammons and Haas. He can play his natural 4 position. With Brown and now Seth Towns (both are PFs too), where exactly is Biggie going to play? He committed to Izzo and then later realized that it wasn't the best situation for him. The "business decision" isn't about getting benefits or getting paid (as you imply), but it's about being able to immediately plug into his natural position from the get-go.

No that isn't my point at all. I'll simplify it, if the end result is the same who cares if the kid can dunk or not? Do you get any more points or extra rebounds if you jump higher while grabbing a board or putting the ball through the hoop? That is my point.
Well, it greatly increases your ability to get more rebounds and points. You have no way of telling what the end result is for both situations if you only see one situation play out. There is a reason why you hear about the few guys who get a lot of rebounds and can't jump that high. They are very unique.

The videos I have watched of Caleb show he dunks very easily with authority, of course he's 6'8 or 6'9" so he should. I take what some of these sports site's guys say with a grain of salt. There are a lot of guys they are trying to follow. Hell, I lost 45 pounds 5 years ago and my lift was better, everything was better. He's just a kid and still growing into his body and the 30 pound loss will pay off in many ways. When I lost my weight I couldn't believe what it was like to pick up something 40 or so pounds and think I used to have that there all the time. I think his jump is fine...#9 in the country player fine.

Watch Haas, he really struggle to jump at times. I forget the game but he got BLOCKED by a short PG who could jump in one of our cupcake games. Jumping matters. That being said, Caleb is super talented and has been cutting weight each year, which I presume will continue ala AJ Hammons. I was high on swanigan even when he committed to MSU and most Purdue fans dismissed his talent. Kid is good, works hard, and will only get better--this includes his vertical.

Herbie,

Go back to the MSU board. You just come cross as a big loser, a total whiner. Boo hoo. You lost a recruit to Purdue. How about the recruits Izzo stole from Purdue? The Branden Dawson recruitment was very questionable, for instance. You guys act like Izzo is some kind of saint. He's allowed some real thugs in his program, some of whom managed to graduate despite having rape charges against them.

Get this through your thick skull. Biggie is coming to Purdue because Purdue has two legit NBA-caliber centers he can play next to in Hammons and Haas. He can play his natural 4 position. With Brown and now Seth Towns (both are PFs too), where exactly is Biggie going to play? He committed to Izzo and then later realized that it wasn't the best situation for him. The "business decision" isn't about getting benefits or getting paid (as you imply), but it's about being able to immediately plug into his natural position from the get-go.

No, I doubt he is getting paid. I am guessing they have plenty of money already. The "business decision" is Barnes' words. I don't even think Purdue is a bad choice in the end anyway nor do I actually even care that much that he isn't going to MSU. I am just curious what the real reason might be as there is a lot of drama surrounding this recruitment. MSU has three forwards in the NBA that never played along side 7 footers. Randolph has done it at the dying breed of the traditional low post player, Payne played 5 in college and shot a lot of 3s. Draymond Green has made a living out of destroying any kind of position labels. If you are a good enough basketball player they are going to find you. It just seems like fishy reasoning to be decommitting this late in the game.

No, I doubt he is getting paid. I am guessing they have plenty of money already. The "business decision" is Barnes' words. I don't even think Purdue is a bad choice in the end anyway nor do I actually even care that much that he isn't going to MSU. I am just curious what the real reason might be as there is a lot of drama surrounding this recruitment. MSU has three forwards in the NBA that never played along side 7 footers. Randolph has done it at the dying breed of the traditional low post player, Payne played 5 in college and shot a lot of 3s. Draymond Green has made a living out of destroying any kind of position labels. If you are a good enough basketball player they are going to find you. It just seems like fishy reasoning to be decommitting this late in the game.

But you could say that about his whole recruitment as being out of the norm. He waited very late to decide on anyone, and no one really knew what going to happen as it was a toss-up till the very end. Hell, you see football kids do it more, but there are more of them also. We've said all along this was an out-of-ordinary situation and the internet makes it worse.

The drama has all been created by reporters, analysts, and fans. Biggie didn't say anything to the public, he just decommitted. Dont blame a kid for drama he didn't even cause.

The drama has all been created by reporters, analysts, and fans. Biggie didn't say anything to the public, he just decommitted. Dont blame a kid for drama he didn't even cause.
Yep, agreed. Sometimes being silent is considered contempt, and usually not the case. It does grate on the mind of stupid followers though, me included.

Biggie doesn't have the greatest lift, but he has the girth and tenacity that makes up for it. Even so, I think he's "sneaky athletic," and the weight loss will only help (have you seen how fast Draymond Green is now that he has lost a bunch of weight?). Being a high flyer certainly has its advantages, but is not the end-all-be-all. Look at a guy like Thomas Robinson - super, super athletic, but no skills. I'll take Biggie every time.

Biggie doesn't have the greatest lift, but he has the girth and tenacity that makes up for it. Even so, I think he's "sneaky athletic," and the weight loss will only help (have you seen how fast Draymond Green is now that he has lost a bunch of weight?). Being a high flyer certainly has its advantages, but is not the end-all-be-all. Look at a guy like Thomas Robinson - super, super athletic, but no skills. I'll take Biggie every time.

People that say that Biggie "can't jump" are just plain uninformed. Since he's slimmed down, his vertical has improved. As he works with Coach Carlyle and his staff, Biggie is going to get in even better shape and his lift will improve. He's going to be an absolute stud at Purdue. And the people (not you) that are picking at his athletic ability are going to end up eating a TON of crow and looking like complete idiots.

The last time I saw Swanigan say something was when he committed to MSU. A McDs Decommitting from one Big Ten school to another in May would be drama enough. Throw in a guardian that is a sports agent and the refusal to sign an LOI and that is a lot of drama just on the surface. I would guess it goes way beyond that but we will never know the real story. Can you imagine if this script was flipped? Oh holy hell. Maybe this can begin a healing process for Purdue fans.

Yeah. he got tired of Spartan handlers offering "deals". He wanted to go to a clean program.

Happy now? Any other questions?

The last time I saw Swanigan say something was when he committed to MSU. A McDs Decommitting from one Big Ten school to another in May would be drama enough. Throw in a guardian that is a sports agent and the refusal to sign an LOI and that is a lot of drama just on the surface. I would guess it goes way beyond that but we will never know the real story. Can you imagine if this script was flipped? Oh holy hell. Maybe this can begin a healing process for Purdue fans.
The real story is that Biggie AND Barnes signed the LOI but Biggie didn't send it in. He had a change in heart and realized that he would play ONLY the 4 position at Purdue and would be able to showcase more of his overlooked talents. I'm sorry if that isn't a good enough of a reason, you'll have to live with it (as we lived with Dawson's, and more painfully, with Harris' decision).

Bold part of your statement: Don't be a hypocrite and start your own healing process with Biggie by accepting that he wanted to play at Purdue more than MSU. I don't think the Dawson or Harris recruitment was dirty and neither was Caleb's recruitment. In fact Painter didn't even contact him after he had committed to MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT