ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup for a National Championship

Apr 12, 2012
St. Louis
www.actionflow.net
I feel confident that Purdue would be the national champions if Painter could just play this starting lineup:

Hammons
Haas
Swanigan
Davis
Edwards
Mathias
Stephens
Hill

With Smotherman, Thompson, Weatherford, Cline & Taylor as the first man off the bench

I feel confident that Purdue would be the national champions if Painter could just play this starting lineup:

Hammons
Haas
Swanigan
Davis
Edwards
Mathias
Stephens
Hill

With Smotherman, Thompson, Weatherford, Cline & Taylor as the first man off the bench
Really???? He finally puts together quality talent and you want to tell him who he has to play and when he needs to play them??? What's next a demand that he implement a 3-2-2 zone with a chaser to accommodate the 8 starters??

T6chMEf.jpg

IMHO, HEDMH wins out over HSSST 69-63.

In the 1st half:
I would start off with Haas, Hammonds, Edwards, Stephenson and Hill and have the big guys set vicious picks to set the tone.
I would then come in with Hammonds, Swanigan, Davis, Mathias and Thompson and run/press them full court.
Next wave is HSST and finish up with HEDMH.

Then in the 2nd half, Painter goes with the combos that are playing best. Probably going 7 possibly 8 deep.

Last edited:
I don't think Swanigan comes to Purdue to sit and I highly doubt Matt would have that happen. As good as the players Purdue has coming back, Swanigan is a difference maker for the program in all regards.

G: Hill
G: Davis
F/G: Edwards
PF: Swanigan
C: Hammons

I think this is how the season starts off with the exhibition but could very easily transition to this lineup:

G: Davis
G: Mathias
G: Edwards
PF: Swanigan
C: Hammons

I will remind everyone that, even against a quality PG like Ferrell from IU, he can't guard two different men. Painter would find the best matchup between Davis, Mathias, and Edwards...and allow that player to bring the ball up. If Ferrell switches to the guard bringing the ball up, you simply have a second player there to start the offense. Once again, the player who initializes the offense isn't as critical in Painter's motion offense as it is an overall body of work to make smart decisions, putting other players in the correct positions, and making smart open floor decisions when the tempo can be pushed in transition opportunities.

Personally, the rotation will probably look something like this:
Starters/Main Subs: Hill, Davis, Edwards, Swanigan, Hammons, Haas, Mathias, Stephens,
Potential for decent minutes depending on foul trouble/having a solid game: Thompson, Smotherman, Cline, Taylor
Players who will need a year/extreme spot minutes: Weatherford, Toyra, Eifert

That first setup is a solid 8 man rotation that allows for the best 5 along with giving the solid bench plenty of minutes to be involved in the game and contribute in ways that allow Purdue to be a strong team. I would venture to say some will have an issue with Basil being set in that second tier of players, but what he brings to the team in rebounding and transition...Edwards and Davis simply do better and do it better on a consistent basis. Having Swanigan at the 4 along with Edwards ability to play that position, means he has to slide to more of a perimeter player where he has to beat out players like Davis, Edwards, Mathias, and Stephens. That's not to say Basil isn't a very good player and that is why I added the portion that if he is showing a solid game, as he did at times at the end of the year, he will play extended minutes and Coach Painter will work the lineup to allow him to play. If that happens, can you imagine this lineup:

G: Davis (6'5)
G Edwards (6'7)
F: Smotherman (6'9)
PF: Swanigan (6'10)
C: Hammons/Haas (7'+)

That is a scary big linuep that could be used to simply out bully other teams on the boards as Purdue would be putting 5 players would are known for the rebounding skills.

Guessing what might happen is fun, but Matt P, makes a living on this. I'm not BB genius but I do think this - 1. Swanigan will not be given a starting spot, he will earn it. - Based on what most has written, he will earn it legitimately and quickly. 2. Starting line ups will be dictated by the matching the strengths / weakness of the opponents, so the starting line up you posted may be possible, but I cannot think of a situation where MP would pull this one out. 3. with the athletic ability, speed and outside shooting skills of so many players today, it is hard to imagine a situation where Purdue can compromise the outside shooting to go with a ultra tall team.

Reactions: boiler62
My fault Johnny. I am terrible at names and I terribly misspelled Swanigan.

The first half I had ten guys playing with Hammons getting an extra shift at the expense of Smotherman. The 2nd half having 5 getting most minutes with 3 guys spelling and two playing depending on foul trouble, injuries etc.

My five are 1-Hammons, 2-Swanigan, 3-Davis, 4-Edwards and 5-Hill with 6-Mathias, 7-Haas and 8-Stephenson spelling. 9-Thompson 10-Smotherman

My guess for minutes will go 1 - 28-31 Hammons minutes per game; 2 - 27-30 Swanigan; 3-24-27 Davis; 4-24-27 Edwards; 5-22-25 Hill; 6-17-20 Mathias; 7-14-17 Haas; 8-13-16 Stephenson; 9-9-12 Thompson; and 10 - 9-12 Smotherman.

This will be our year, especially if one of the players sees my assessment and wants to work hard to prove me wrong and I hope they all take this as a challenge.

Last edited:

The first half I had ten guys playing with Hammonds getting an extra shift at the expense of Smotherman. The 2nd half having 5 getting most minutes with 3 guys spelling and two playing depending on foul trouble, injuries etc.

My five are 1-Hammonds, 2-Swanigan, 3-Davis, 4-Edwards and 5-Hill with 6-Mathias, 7-Haas and 8-Stephenson spelling. 9-Thompson 10-Smotherman

My guess for minutes will go 1 - 28-31 minutes per game; 2 - 27-30; 3-24-27; 4-24-27; 5-22-25; 6-17-20; 7-14-17; 8-13-16; 9-10-12; and 10 - 7-10.

This will be our year, especially if one of the players sees my assessment and wants to work hard to prove me wrong and I hope they all take this as a challenge.

BTW: You're still misspelling Hammons...

The first half I had ten guys playing with Hammonds getting an extra shift at the expense of Smotherman. The 2nd half having 5 getting most minutes with 3 guys spelling and two playing depending on foul trouble, injuries etc.

My five are 1-Hammonds, 2-Swanigan, 3-Davis, 4-Edwards and 5-Hill with 6-Mathias, 7-Haas and 8-Stephenson spelling. 9-Thompson 10-Smotherman

My guess for minutes will go 1 - 28-31 minutes per game; 2 - 27-30; 3-24-27; 4-24-27; 5-22-25; 6-17-20; 7-14-17; 8-13-16; 9-10-12; and 10 - 7-10.

It's H-A-M-M-O-N-S.

Basil will have an opportunity to assume the lock down defender mantle from RD next year. Hope he grabs it.

Swanigan's PT is going to be linked directly to his ability to guard the 4 position. Jake Layman, and others will be a tough task for the young man.

Swanigan's PT is going to be linked directly to his ability to guard the 4 position. Jake Layman, and others will be a tough task for the young man.

Layman will be a 3 most of the time this coming season with Robert Carter taking up the 4 position.

I get your point tho. Against 4s like Troy Williams or Aubrey Dawkins, Swanigan could struggle. I think he will do fine. Not great but fine.

Another note. Swanigan was not brought in to defend. He was brought in to score and make good decisions with the ball in the 15 foot range. If he defends poorly, then we will have to figure something out but he is easily one of the best players on our team and the one best decision makers.

He will average 20-25 min a night guaranteed.

Last year when we started rolling we had trimmed our double digit rotation down to 8 with 2 other guys getting 7-9 minutes for a full rotation of 10.

We also only had 10 scholarship players last year that could play. This year we have 13 and all of them are healthy and ready to go.

I still believe our best bet is to have 8 guys that get double digit minutes and then have 2 guys get 7-9 mpg and the other 3 get 0-5 mpg when they can get in.

Starters:
Hill
Davis
Edwards
Swanigan
Hammons

Subs:
Stephens
Mathias
Haas

Deep Subs:
Smotherman
Cline

Garbage minute subs:
Thompson
Taylor
Weatherford

I would maybe switch out Cline or Smotherman for Thompson but I think those 2 offer more to the team than Thompson does so I placed him in the garbage minute area. That could change depending on Hill but from what I hear, Hill is impressing a lot of coaches and players.

A deep team does not mean 13 players have to each get double digit minutes. It means we have a very good safety net if some of our main players get in trouble. Players need to get into the flow of the game. We should play our best players the most and if they get in trouble, give them a rest and have our lesser players hold down the fort until they are back. 8 man rotations typically work best IMO.

I sure hope everyone is right about Hill and he can play well enough to justify making our two returns three point shooters come off the bench. I don't see it happening however and see his minutes as a sub much more likely.

I sure hope everyone is right about Hill and he can play well enough to justify making our two returns three point shooters come off the bench. I don't see it happening however and see his minutes as a sub much more likely.

That won't happen. Hill has been very impressive to the coaching staff and players. Very clearly the best option for point guard. I want a 3pt shooter in the starting lineup but with Hill showing he is a very good PG and player, that will likely not happen.

We will have to trust in Ray and Vince to become better 3pt shooters.

That won't happen. Hill has been very impressive to the coaching staff and players. Very clearly the best option for point guard. I want a 3pt shooter in the starting lineup but with Hill showing he is a very good PG and player, that will likely not happen.

We will have to trust in Ray and Vince to become better 3pt shooters.
I hope you're right. Kudos from the staff is hardly a guarantee he will be a starter however.
We will need some outside shooting to go with our massive front court. Hill will have to be able to do much more then bring the ball up to put Stephens and Marhias on the bench.
I am optimistic but will wait to see if he has what it will takes to earn a starters job on this years team.

I hope you're right. Kudos from the staff is hardly a guarantee he will be a starter however.
We will need some outside shooting to go with our massive front court. Hill will have to be able to do much more then bring the ball up to put Stephens and Marhias on the bench.
I am optimistic but will wait to see if he has what it will takes to earn a starters job on this years team.

Its not just kudos. Been told that it's nearly a lock that he starts at PG and get most of the minutes there unless something drastic happens.

He is one of the better perimeter degenders on the team, passes better than most of the team, rebounds extremely well for a guard, is very vocal and leads well, and is one of probably 3 players on the team that can actually drive the lane well.

The only thing Mathias and Stephens have a leg up on anyone is shooting. Defending and rebounding they need a lot of work in. Passing and taking care of the ball they are about average for the team, so not leading or falling behind.

Davis and Vince should be able to do well enough from 3 to keep defenses honest.

It's looking nearly set in stone that the starters will be Hill, Ray, Vince, Biggie, and Hammons.

Anything could happen tho

Its not just kudos. Been told that it's nearly a lock that he starts at PG and get most of the minutes there unless something drastic happens.

He is one of the better perimeter degenders on the team, passes better than most of the team, rebounds extremely well for a guard, is very vocal and leads well, and is one of probably 3 players on the team that can actually drive the lane well.

The only thing Mathias and Stephens have a leg up on anyone is shooting. Defending and rebounding they need a lot of work in. Passing and taking care of the ball they are about average for the team, so not leading or falling behind.

Davis and Vince should be able to do well enough from 3 to keep defenses honest.

It's looking nearly set in stone that the starters will be Hill, Ray, Vince, Biggie, and Hammons.

Anything could happen tho
Once again. I hope your right. I am skeptical as to him being a lock two months before practice starts as I am for any newcomer including Biggie.
But if he is indeed what you say and he can lock down that starting spot, it should be an extraordinary year.

Layman will be a 3 most of the time this coming season with Robert Carter taking up the 4 position.

I get your point tho. Against 4s like Troy Williams or Aubrey Dawkins, Swanigan could struggle. I think he will do fine. Not great but fine.

Another note. Swanigan was not brought in to defend. He was brought in to score and make good decisions with the ball in the 15 foot range. If he defends poorly, then we will have to figure something out but he is easily one of the best players on our team and the one best decision makers.

He will average 20-25 min a night guaranteed.
Regarding Swanigan's defense, I think that this I where Painter will make some adjustments. I think that Purdue's D will look more like a packline D than ever, so that if Swanigan gets beat off the dribble he'll have a lot of help backing him up. Swanigan can the sag to help his teammates in the lane while being ready to run opposing stretch fours off the three point line and not having to worry as much about getting beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT