ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game thoughts

OhioBoiler3

True Freshman
Oct 21, 2012
Couldn't make it up for the game or watch, could someone post thoughts, observations anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

In short, good energy, sound but slow execution, running backs look good but my gut says they are too small to be that physical in league play especially.

I really liked Marshall

So tired of watching poor qb play.

I thought he looked best. Stared guys down, but was accurate. Its hard for me to take him seriously when its been the youngest qb on the rosterthat looks best going on three years now.

His pocket awareness was nice too but he wont have nearly that long to react in league games.

I stayed for the first three quarters. Here are my thoughts:
First, the unimportant. The open part of the stadium looks a lot better without the stands. The scoreboard and the dorms behind it look nice and give the stadium a college feel. I did not expect this. The band was hyperactive today. I was trying to talk with the retired coach I went with but we could not hear each other until we moved to the other side of the stadium. Burke is over-programming the game in an attempt to create some entertainment. Bad idea.Blough looked much stronger to me than the other qbs. He is able to escape and extend the play, an important skill with our limited offensive line. Appleby looked find and Etling still panics. Blough probably will not see a lot of time this year, and I think that is a big mistake. Marshall did look very athletic as a receiver. The other receivers did not look athletic. Our linebackers are real men. We will see if they play like this during the conference season.I thought the offenses and defenses were marginally better. By now, one would hope for bigger improvement. It is not clear Hazell will improve things fast enough to remain beyond his original contract.. Recruiting has not come along as most of us had hoped, and one can see this on the field. It is time for field turf at Ross Ade. The grass is a struggle, and it is not worth the effort. It was a gorgeous day in Ross Ade, the football was ok, and the crowd was smallish. No one will confuse us with a strong program.

Originally posted by BoilerStutz:
I stayed for the first three quarters. Here are my thoughts:
First, the unimportant. The open part of the stadium looks a lot better without the stands. The scoreboard and the dorms behind it look nice and give the stadium a college feel. I did not expect this. The band was hyperactive today. I was trying to talk with the retired coach I went with but we could not hear each other until we moved to the other side of the stadium. Burke is over-programming the game in an attempt to create some entertainment. Bad idea.Blough looked much stronger to me than the other qbs. He is able to escape and extend the play, an important skill with our limited offensive line. Appleby looked find and Etling still panics. Blough probably will not see a lot of time this year, and I think that is a big mistake. Marshall did look very athletic as a receiver. The other receivers did not look athletic. Our linebackers are real men. We will see if they play like this during the conference season.I thought the offenses and defenses were marginally better. By now, one would hope for bigger improvement. It is not clear Hazell will improve things fast enough to remain beyond his original contract.. Recruiting has not come along as most of us had hoped, and one can see this on the field. It is time for field turf at Ross Ade. The grass is a struggle, and it is not worth the effort. It was a gorgeous day in Ross Ade, the football was ok, and the crowd was smallish. No one will confuse us with a strong program.
I was at the same game as this guy and after reading this post I am depressed from the eyyore attitude..no idea what "over programming" means but it was one of the best spring games I've been to from an entertainment standpoint...we look much much more like a big ten team than we have the past couple seasons. Long ways to go but I came away somewhat excited

Thanks for info, I was at my youngest daughter's softball games today at White land, like hearing what you think about the team.

I was impressed with Blough. He for the most part, put the ball on the receivers. Appleby and Etling were average at best. I was more than disappointed with Appleby as he was not accurate and did very little today as he was outplayed by Blough. His touchdown throw should have been called back as he was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it, but the officials picked up the flag.

Blough was very elusive and threw the ball well on the run. If today was the barameter on the QB's, Blough would be the starter.

Mobility is a huge us in any QB. I would like to see Blough get the start and see where it takes us.

Can't wait til we get the 3 OL who are injured back and establish some depth. I think we have about 8 or 9 guys the staff feels good about...that's a lot more than we have had in recent memory.

Also can't wait to see what Knox can do vs real competition. I also think Jones will make an impact year 1. Along with Green, I think we have a stable of good young guys. Here's hoping one can step up and become an elite, all confetence type runner!

I watched the game online today. I agree mostly with Stacy's analysis. She did a great I think describing today. I think Purdue needs to go with experience. With the squads split as they were, it was hard for both Oline and Dline to shine
as they may in the fall. There could be more quarterback protection and also better blocking. I think I see an Oline that is much improved and even has some quality depth.
At QB, go with experience. 3 years have been invested in AA, time to see what dividends he can pay.

CK3 - I agree with you, I don't know what stutz is used to. I've been attending spring games since 1983 and this was one of the best (overall structure of the day, enthusiasm, etc) that I've been at. I've been there when there were less than a couple hundred people in attendance.

Appleby looked fine, in fact really good, but Blough, IMO, played better.

My hat is off to the athletic department for doing a great job!

Play football on grass, not that artificial stuff (probably the same guy that ruined Indiana basketball by going to the class system!).

This post was edited on 4/18 9:58 PM by Dandelion1972

I also second ck3. Very nice to have the crowd get special announcements/recognition.

Glad some were impressed with qb play. How many dropped pick sixes did the defense drop? Two at least plus the int returned to the two. Not one of those balls should have been thrown but they locked on receivers and missed open guys right next to them.

Applebes first int was as bad as his td to #15 was outstanding.

They may have had an off day or have a very long way to go.

The stat line I read all the QBs were solid, none were super spectacular at the same time none were terrible.

Spring games are always tricky, if you score a TD is it yay god offense or oh no bad defense.

I tried to just watch each player move and assess their decision making. I think the O-line opened good holes for the RB to pick up 4 yards, not huge plays but 4 yards each down equals a first down. Along with that, the running out of the shot gun I formation worked fairly well. The linebackers moved well for how big all of them are, it is a little weird seeing Purdue have linebackers that are that wide, has not been the usual for a long time.

The part of the team I am most worried about are all 4 of the DB spots. Seemed like there were WR getting open whether it be a 7 yard out or a streak down the sideline.

Non-football stuff:

I like the white helmets, more for the fact the school is willing to do it than necessarily how they look. I do like how the gold strip continues down through the facemask.

The field looked good today, how anyone walked away thinking the field looked bad is a head scratcher to me. Where there a few bare spots, yes, but a few and that were not so big that it would make a person think oh my goodness. If the field already looks the way it does today I cannot imagine how great it will look by the end of May.

There is a difference between qbs throwing late out routes and the defense making plays.

The good news: Blough looked the best
The bad news: Blough looked the best (as supposedly 3rd stringer).

In this offense you're going to need someone who can innovate - he's the only one of the three.
Which means Shoop likely will keep him 3rd string...
We shall see but my confidence in this staff to use the best players is thin

Blough Question

Didn't see the game so I am looking for an answer based on what you saw yesterday if you watched or attended the game:

Can or did Blough throw long while he was out scrambling to escape the rush or pressure? He may not had the opportunity to display that yesterday but throwing long seems to be something Purdue has to do when the defenses stack the LOS to stop our dink and dunk passing plays!

Re: Blough Question

Blough had a beautiful TD where he scrambled to the left then came all the way across the field to throw about a 30 yard TD to Norwood right on the money.

It is time for field turf at Ross Ade. The grass is a struggle, and it is not worth the effort. It was a gorgeous day in Ross Ade, the football was ok, and the crowd was smallish. No one will confuse us with a strong program.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would like to see Purdue Rx turf replaced for green carpet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT