ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Some basketball media day stuff ...

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
CHICAGO - Just sitting down to write, but thought I'd get some stuff out there quickly before going through an hour of audio.

• Asked who has impressed him in practice, Rapheal Davis singled out P.J. Thompson, saying he thinks everybody thinks Johnny Hill is gonna be Purdue's point guard, so that's motivating Thompson. Matt Painter singled out Vince Edwards, but he hates singling anyone out, but he at least started talking about Edwards. Earlier Painter had suggested Edwards to be Purdue's most improved player and said Purdue's 'excited no one is talking about him' or something to that effect.

• Painter said Purdue will run more sets offensively to get the ball inside, as opposed to running pure motion. He noted they ran a lot of sets last year. The difference is very minimal in practical terms, but the significance is that he is tweaking things to his personnel.

• I asked Painter about redshirting Basil Smotherman and he acknowledged the possibility. It was Smotherman who approached Painter about it, though it was already being considered, from what we understand.

• Painter on P.J. Thompson in response to what Spike Albrecht has done at Michigan: 'I took P.J. Thompson because of Spike Albrecht.'

• Painter on his point guard competition: Said neither has an advantage over the other at this point.

• Caleb Swanigan, Painter said, will play some 5 this season. Like we have speculated, maybe at the end of games when opponents are playing small and/or fouling.

• Painter is concerned offensively about getting zoned so much by opposing defenses that when they switch back to man, Purdue will be "rusty" against man and struggle.

• Asked if he might have to ask a veteran to come off the bench this season, Painter said he didn't know. Asked then if he felt he might need Kendall Stephens/Dakota Mathias/Ryan Cline on the floor at all times for spacing purposes, he said, "Great question. That could hold true."

• Media Day 2016 will be in Washington, D.C. Boo.

Also, sat down with Rick Boyages and some other Big Ten coaches and centers to talk about the Isaac Haas/officiating issue. Good stuff. Not sure I will get to that today, but soon.

More to come ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News