ADVERTISEMENT

Small Victory

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
After several years of requests to do so, GBI has FINALLY removed the archaic description below the link to this board in favor of no description at all. No description is still better than before.

If you have forgotten, it used to say:
"Let the Sharon Versyp Era begin. As the Big Ten's most traditionally successful women's basketball program begins writing a new chapter in its history, you can talk about Versyp and her Boilermakers right here.”

Thank you, Alan Karpick.

One of the big reasons I no longer subscribe to GBI. The fact that they have chosen to totally ignore the Women's Basketball program and all women's sports.
Nobody does really....if this team starts winning again...becomes relevant again, is a real competitive threat again to win the Big Ten and a NCAA tourney threat again, the media will start covering the team again.

Nobody does really....if this team starts winning again...becomes relevant again, is a real competitive threat again to win the Big Ten and a NCAA tourney threat again, the media will start covering the team again.
The VB team is kinda where WBB was 20 years ago. I’ve started following them on Twitter and they are looking to crush it this year! Great team chemistry, fun bunch to watch, and coming off a FF appearance earlier this year.
Check ‘em out!

The VB team is kinda where WBB was 20 years ago. I’ve started following them on Twitter and they are looking to crush it this year! Great team chemistry, fun bunch to watch, and coming off a FF appearance earlier this year.
Check ‘em out!
I agree with you whole-heartedly. And with EVERYONE coming back (including Dave Shondell's seniors as superseniors) it will be such an exciting season this fall.

I do want to point out the team only made it to the quarterfinals this spring (2020 season delayed to spring due to COVID) and not the FF. They were defeated by the eventual champion Kentucky. We look for a better result this fall and for Dave to FINALLY get to the Final Four.

I doubt it. As JeffBoiler says, our volleyball team had an outstanding season this spring and yet nary a drip of coverage from GBI. Their rationale is that not enough people who frequent sports boards follow women sports. Sigh.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. And with EVERYONE coming back (including Dave Shondell's seniors as superseniors) it will be such an exciting season this fall.

I do want to point out the team only made it to the quarterfinals this spring (2020 season delayed to spring due to COVID) and not the FF. They were defeated by the eventual champion Kentucky. We look for a better result this fall and for Dave to FINALLY get to the Final Four.

Reactions: DocRon
I doubt it. As JeffBoiler says, our volleyball team had an outstanding season this spring and yet nary a drip of coverage from GBI. Their rationale is that not enough people who frequent sports boards follow women sports. Sigh.

Thats probably true
But is it a self fulfilling prophecy? If no women’s sports are covered its pretty hard to increase their (women’s sports)readership. Pretty poorly reasoned answer from GBI IMO. I would consider it a victory to simply have the WBB Board listed under “Basketball Forums” instead of BELOW the General Board. But GBI has turned a blank eye to even that request. I sent them an email asking why it wasn’t listed with Basketball Forums and never received an answer….I really don’t see how moving it up where it belongs would be so difficult.

Refusing to cover the other sports at least a bit, is no different than the IU Star rationalizing giving Purdue short shrift because there are more loosier fans in the state.
it can't grow if nobody covers it.
I think what fans want more than specific sports is the excitement of big time, skilled competition between top teams.
Nobody cares about women's volleyball in general but if you watched (because you COULD) the olympics vb it was very exciting and fun to watch.
Some myso wanna be's will say no womens sports are worth watching.
Anyone with a brain that spent any time watching the olympics had to be absolutely floored at the women athletes these days. Anyone that thinks they aren't good enough athletes to be entertaining didn't watch a minute.

GBI doesn't owe us any coverage imo. I wish they covered wbb still, for my benefit. But they obviously are running a business and determined they don't make enough money by providing such coverage. Their responsibility is to their business, not to help grow any sport.

If people here are right and there's money to be made covering Purdue wbb independently, any of us are free to devote our own resources to doing so and if enough people agree then we could even make money doing so.

At least this board exists as a place we can gather and discuss. I've even tried to summarize things here to spark and facilitate discussion. As has DocRon throughout the season.

So while I don't disagree with those voicing their opinions on the coverage, let's also not forget that they do provide us a space to come discuss the program still and that is something they don't have to do. I know they have discussed if it's worth the headache to have any free boards so they could just delete them all and not worry about having to keep trolls and spam off them or updating outdated descriptions and such.

GBI doesn't owe us any coverage imo. I wish they covered wbb still, for my benefit. But they obviously are running a business and determined they don't make enough money by providing such coverage. Their responsibility is to their business, not to help grow any sport.

If people here are right and there's money to be made covering Purdue wbb independently, any of us are free to devote our own resources to doing so and if enough people agree then we could even make money doing so.

At least this board exists as a place we can gather and discuss. I've even tried to summarize things here to spark and facilitate discussion. As has DocRon throughout the season.

So while I don't disagree with those voicing their opinions on the coverage, let's also not forget that they do provide us a space to come discuss the program still and that is something they don't have to do. I know they have discussed if it's worth the headache to have any free boards so they could just delete them all and not worry about having to keep trolls and spam off them or updating outdated descriptions and such.
You raise some good points Mr. TC, that I hadn’t thought about. You’re right that GBI doesn’t owe us anything, and I do like having this space for discussion.
Teams playing well, winning, putting an exciting product on the court, will eventually take care of coverage (I hope).

The previous comments about women’s VB are exactly right - both the Olympics play and Purdue’s Spring run thru the NCAA were unbelievably exciting to watch. Athletes!!!
I’ve started following the Women’s VB and Coach Shondell on Twitter - they post almost daily, and create their own coverage. It helps that they are damn good, play an exciting brand of VB, and clearly enjoy each other. Unbelievable team chemistry. Reminiscent of late 90’s early 2000’s WBB team.
I think Katie Gearlds will be doing more Social media herself as she progresses in her transition from assoc HC to Head Coach.
Go Boilers!

And just as I exited this board and checked Twitter, the first thing (!) in my feed was a tweet from @PurdueVB that coach Shondell has signed a 4-yr extension to his contract! Hundreds of likes, a dozen comments/congrats notes already.
Exciting! Season starts this week. Season tix sold out

You are right they don't owe us any coverage. They don't owe me anything since I don't pay them. But it's still the big reason I no longer subscribe.

As far as these free boards. It's cool that they provide them. But if they went away there would be something to replace them. Just as there were free boards before Gold and Black. There will be free boards after Gold and Black. I remember when Old Gold Free Press or Mr. Hoops and the Indy Star were the places to be. Someone will fill the void.

Reactions: DocRon and TC4THREE
You are right they don't owe us any coverage. They don't owe me anything since I don't pay them. But it's still the big reason I no longer subscribe.

As far as these free boards. It's cool that they provide them. But if they went away there would be something to replace them. Just as there were free boards before Gold and Black. There will be free boards after Gold and Black. I remember when Old Gold Free Press or Mr. Hoops and the Indy Star were the places to be. Someone will fill the void.
There will always be free boards, but someone looking for discussion of our program is going to find it more easily here than one of the other places you mentioned. I used to go to OGFP sometimes for coverage but I don't think it's very active anymore. As of right now, I think this is the best place for discussion. It's sort of one-stop shopping for Purdue fans who follow multiple sports. If something better evolves, I'm all for that but I'm thankful this board still exists.

@DocRon

Maybe your next mission can be getting the "2017-2018 Schedule/Roster" thread unpinned from the top of the board. Maye it's something @Brian_GoldandBlack.com can do in just a couple of spare seconds although it's probably not as easy as it might seem. Things rarely are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT