ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT - Ivan Rabb to Cal

ustankass

True Freshman
Oct 17, 2010
I don't mean to start this into a painter bashing, but I know it will. Zo got a pretty good player today, that's awesome for him. Wonder why swanigan didn't go with...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Really hope we can get him someday. Seems to be a stud recruiter and he already has been to the elite 8. Imagine if he came to Purdue and could keep the swanigans and harris' of the world where they belong, he's doing it at Cal so I see no reason why he couldn't do the same here. Heck I think he even got at least one 5 star while at Tennessee also.

Originally posted by ustankass:
I don't mean to start this into a painter bashing, but I know it will. Zo got a pretty good player today, that's awesome for him. Wonder why swanigan didn't go with...

Posted from Rivals Mobile
On Gold & Black Radio, Brian said that he believes Swanigan's advisors (ie Roosevelt Barnes, etc.) didn't think California was a good fit for him (for whatever reasons) and wouldn't let him go there, even if he so wanted. He also said that the advisors were sold on Purdue, but that Swanigan (again for whatever reasons) just didn't want to choose Purdue. He was okay with naming the Boilers a finalist but had already decided that he didn't want to go to Purdue. He said that Michigan State was sort of a compromise (choice #2 for the advisors and Swanigan and the one that they both agreed on).

Sounds like we may have been saved a headache (like Dawson was at MSU) if a HS athlete has HANDLERS to make his decisions! jmo

Originally posted by ghostoffatjack:
Sounds like we may have been saved a headache (like Dawson was at MSU) if a HS athlete has HANDLERS to make his decisions! jmo
Who knows? but that would be a 6ft 6 3/4 inch (with out shoes) 271 lb. headache LOL!

As much as we wanted Swanigan you have a point. Too many times there are too many friggin handlers involved in a kid's decision when it should be solely the kid's decision.

This is why recruiting has changed and become incredibly hard, there are too many people involved and it appears you have to appease them all to "win" the recruit instead of just selling your school to the kid. It rather sucks.

I love Cuonzo and he's a great guy, but your post is pretty absurd. First off, Tennessee never made the Elite 8 under Cuonzo. Cuonzo has made the NCAA Tournament 1 time as a head coach.

I mean, again, recruiting is half luck.

Do you know where Ivan Rabb is from? About 10 minutes from Cal's campus. That'd be like a 5 star recruit chilling at Lafayette Jeff. Doesn't make it an automatic pick by any means, but that's extremely close and beneficial if its a good fit for both.

Martin got 2 five stars, again both from the state of Tennessee, and both knew/played with eachother. Outside of those, he had 10 three star recruits, 2 four star recruits and 1 two star.

Ibodel ok he made the sweet 16 I thought it was elite 8, still impressive to do it at Tennessee. Second did you read what you wrote about recruiting or are you always this clueless? You say my post is absurd to think Cuonzo could keep kids from indiana HOME, then you go and prove my point by listing multiple 5 stars Cuonzo was able to keep home at other schools, lol thanks for proving my point further!

Originally posted by JohnHoosierr:
Ibodel ok he made the sweet 16 I thought it was elite 8, still impressive to do it at Tennessee. Second did you read what you wrote about recruiting or are you always this clueless? You say my post is absurd to think Cuonzo could keep kids from indiana HOME, then you go and prove my point by listing multiple 5 stars Cuonzo was able to keep home at other schools, lol thanks for proving my point further!
I believe the kids at UT had committed to UT under Bruce Pearl and decided to stay with their original plans even though UT changed coaches.

Zo's a good guy, but he's not any better a coach than what is already in place.

Originally posted by BBG:

As much as we wanted Swanigan you have a point. Too many times there are too many friggin handlers involved in a kid's decision when it should be solely the kid's decision.

This is why recruiting has changed and become incredibly hard, there are too many people involved and it appears you have to appease them all to "win" the recruit instead of just selling your school to the kid. It rather sucks.
I kind of disagree a little with Ghost in this instance. With Swanigan, it was the handler/guardian that wanted him at Purdue. Based on Brian's comments, it was Swanigan that made up his mind that Purdue was his 3rd choice (behind Cal and MSU) whereas his advisors kept pushing for Purdue. To me, the kid himself is not the headache, it's the people trying to steer a kid into what they want and may or may not be looking out for the kid's best interest. I certainly agree that this has taken a toll on college basketball recruiting, but in fairness to the kids involved, I don't think we should label them the headaches when it can be the adults standing in the way of their decisions. In this case, unless there's a reason to think Coach Martin and the Cal program wouldn't have been good caretakers of the kid while he was in college, it's unfortunate that Caleb was (for lack of a better word) forced to choose something other than his top choice.

This post was edited on 4/14 10:00 AM by Statey

Re: "whatever the reason"

needs to be figured out and corrected by out athletic department sooner rather than later or our fan base will dissolve even further.

Why is it impressive to make the Sweet 16 one time at Tennessee?

Prior to Cuonzo taking over, Tennessee had made the tournament 6 years in a row, including 2 trips to the Sweet 16 and 1 to the Elite 8. Obviously there was a situation in the coaching transition, but it still was a winning program, recruited well and has an excellent fan base. Tennessee averaged 19,000 fans a game in Cuonzo's first year.

Tennessee is not like other football dominant schools that ignore basketball. Tennessee regularly is in the top 10-15 in attendance.

The reason Barnes and Parker didn't want Cal is because of games being on late and Cali not really fitting into future plans. Or so I was told.

So, basically, Purdue wasn't a 'sexy' enough name/brand for Swanigan. Pretty frustrating that this seems to be the perception of Purdue. The perception of Purdue needs to change.

This post was edited on 4/14 10:51 AM by BoilerDeac

Originally posted by Heller:
The reason Barnes and Parker didn't want Cal is because of games being on late and Cali not really fitting into future plans. Or so I was told.
If that's true, those adults need some counseling. Games on late? They're only on late for the adults who live in the Eastern time zone... set your DVR or TiVO, or if watching live is that important, adjust your sleep schedule. Don't tell a kid he can't have his first choice for college, coaching mentor, etc. because it throws a wrench in the East coast TV watching. I'm not sure what the "fitting into future plans" comment means, but hopefully it's more substantial than the complication of timezones and television broadcasts.

Originally posted by Statey:
Originally posted by Heller:
If that's true, those adults need some counseling. Games on late? They're only on late for the adults who live in the Eastern time zone... set your DVR or TiVO, or if watching live is that important, adjust your sleep schedule. Don't tell a kid he can't have his first choice for college, coaching mentor, etc. because it throws a wrench in the East coast TV watching. I'm not sure what the "fitting into future plans" comment means, but hopefully it's more substantial than the complication of timezones and television broadcasts.
You're so far off base here; distance a valid reason to not go to a specific school. If Barnes, basically Swanigans father (caleb calls him dad) wants to attend, or at the very least watch his games, cal is prohibiting in that regard. At Purdue or MSU, it's a 2 hr drive to get to campus, and games are EST. A late game is 9pm, and 9 pm in Cali is midnight in Indiana, and he would be up until 2 am watching. There's a lot more that goes into choosing a school than "I like this one"...which is why Barnes was quoted saying CS was making an emotional choice (presumably about Cal).

You're literally taking a generic statement, making it specific and saying it's a fact. We don't know at all. Who said it had to do with being sexy? What if he just really like Michigan State? What if some things about Purdue weren't his favorite? Could have nothing to do with basketball.

You can't just come up to conclusions on vague statements made via hearsay.

You make my point exactly Statey, if he won't listen to his "handlers" it is quite possible he then won't listen to his Coach, ie a headache! Just sayin' it's possible, you know the quacking like a duck thing!

You make my point exactly Statey, if he won't listen to his "handlers" it is quite possible he then won't listen to his Coach, ie a headache! Just sayin' it's possible, you know the quacking like a duck thing!
Ghost - You're forgetting that the kid is the most important person in all of this. He's the one that has to relocate, he's the one that has to go to school every day, he's the one who needs to have a relationship with the college coach, he's the one that needs to be comfortable in his surroundings, etc. Maybe Barnes isn't a "handler" in the traditional sense of thinking about dirty handlers since he's the guardian, but come on, "he won't listen to his handler, so it's possible he won't listen to his coach either?". That's balderdash. The decision to go to college and where to go should be as much (more actually) about what the kid wants (within reason) as it is the handler. Again, if there's no reason to believe that Coach Martin wouldn't have properly overseen Caleb's safety and well-being while he was there - and to date I've heard none - then there's no justification for calling him a headache, problem kid, etc. simply because he didn't take Barnes' advice.

This post was edited on 4/14 12:47 PM by Statey

Very rare that an 18 year old make great decisions without their parents guiding them through those decisions is something you might be forgetting! They are still kids despite their size and athletic ability and make tons of bad decisions if they don't consider what their parents (guardians) tell them!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree but that is how it works in most houses!

Originally posted by snowsquirrel11:

You're so far off base here; distance a valid reason to not go to a specific school.
Yes, distance is valid reason to not "go" to a specific school. However, the kid is the one doing the "going". If a kid doesn't want to go far from home because he needs that proximity to family, that's fine. I'm not sold on a handler/guardian saying distance is valid reason not "to send" a kid to a specific school. There's a difference. And it starts with understanding who the most important person is in this, the kid.
Originally posted by snowsquirrel11:

If Barnes, basically Swanigans father (caleb calls him dad) wants to attend, or at the very least watch his games, cal is prohibiting in that regard. At Purdue or MSU, it's a 2 hr drive to get to campus, and games are EST. A late game is 9pm, and 9 pm in Cali is midnight in Indiana, and he would be up until 2 am watching.
I don't know how long he's been Swanigan's guardian, so I'm going to defer your thought of equating him to being his "dad". I think you'd had to know a lot more about the family to conclude that than what I do. But to your comment on distance...

1. Distance is really only an issue for visitation - not games (as I'll explain below) - as kids are allowed to travel home for fall break, winter break, spring break. How much 1:1 visitation is going to occur between "dad" and "son" during an evening game day? Likely none before tip-off, as the kid has pre-game meal, walkthrough, and other team activities he'll be tied up during. After the game? Maybe there's time for a dinner once in a while, depending on game time, but likely not every game would there be long periods of 1:1 visitation after a game was over.

2. One might argue about all the weekend time kids might have to travel back home, so that's more important to be closer. That's true to an extent, but when you're 5 hours round trip away - and you'd think you'd want to visit for a few hours if you did all that driving - you're basically tieing up a whole day for a weekend visit. Sure, that's doable. But kids have weekend practices too, plus studying, plus other college-life activities. It seems like there wouldn't be tons of whole days free with no commitments WHILE being totally caught up on schoolwork. Is visiting with Caleb at MSU easier than Cal? Yes. But let's not pretend Caleb can just come home every weekend or even every month when we're talking 250+ miles and nearly 5 hours of total travel for each visit.

3. On to game watching... let's take a weekday game in EL, which is no less than 2.5 hours (one way) from WL when you factor in rush hour travel, game traffic, parking, exiting the lot, etc. I've venture it's closer to 3, but let's say 2.5 for conservatism. Game starts at 7pm local time. "Dad" watches in person, game ends at 9pm, gets home by 11:30, estimate half-hour for unwind, etc., in bed by midnight "dad" time. Conversely, 7pm game in Cal starts at 10pm in Indiana, ends by midnight. Much less time needed to get ready for bed because you've had commercials to brush your team, wash up the kitchen, whatever. So 7pm games are a complete push.

4. Same example, with a 9pm game. Game ends at 11pm, home by 1:30am, bed by 2am. Watching on television... game starts at midnight "dad" time, over by 2, bed shortly thereafter. So going to a 9pm game in EL results in the same 2am bed time that you claimed would be prohibitive of "dad" watching on television from Indiana a game being played in Berkley. So again, basically a push if you're advocating for EL as an easier way to watch Caleb play in person. But if you're watching from your Indiana home anyway, then 1:1
visitation time before or after a game is a missed opportunity anyway, right? So the only advantage to EL is that one can get to bed sooner in Indiana if you only watch the games on television.

All in all, when you start to peel this back, I don't think there will be a huge visitation discrepancy from EL vs. Berkley. Some, but not an incredible amount. And game watching on TV (Cal) vs. in-person (MSU) is irrelevant as far as "daddy" bed times go, given that the time it would take to drive home is nearly the equivalent of the 3-hr timezone difference.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:33 PM by Statey

Very rare that an 18 year old make great decisions without their parents guiding them through those decisions is something you might be forgetting! They are still kids despite their size and athletic ability and make tons of bad decisions if they don't consider what their parents (guardians) tell them!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree but that is how it works in most houses!
Guiding, yes. Deciding for them, no.

Kids, yes. Kids who are nearly (or already) 18 and will be soon very making many important life choices on their own, yes.

Consider, yes. Do exactly as guardian thinks without considering their own best interest, no.

I do agree with your last sentence though.
wink.r191677.gif

Sorry I didn't and don't allow my children to make those kinds of decisions if I think they are very bad for them until they are off the payroll and out of the house on their own!

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

Originally posted by JohnHoosierr:
I believe the kids at UT had committed to UT under Bruce Pearl and decided to stay with their original plans even though UT changed coaches.

Zo's a good guy, but he's not any better a coach than what is already in place.
Definitely wrong on the first point (neither 5-star was committed to Pearl), and I bet time will tell wrong on the second one too.

Plus Zo gets the credit for most of the Baby Boilers class.

Statey, if you think there wouldn't be a difference in visitation had he gone to Cal vs going to PU or MSU (both 2-2.5 hrs from his home in SW Fort Wayne) then you are truly delusional. Sure there are holidays that he gets off, breaks and such, but flight time alone from Cal to FW is not only cumbersome as far as time is concerned, but also in the financial department. Also, your comparison to watching a game on TV at home to being AT the game to cheer him on is apples to oranges. Also, this isn't just about Caleb going home but also friends and family going to MSU to see him.

Outside of those 2, he didn't get much in terms of recruits at Tennessee. Most of his team were 3 stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT