Should Purdue Crew or Other Club Sports Become Varsity?

Discussion in 'Free Board: Boilermaker Olympic Sports' started by PURower, Sep 20, 2010.

1. PURower

Gold Member

And if so, how? (of course barring a monster donation from someone out there)

2. BoilerExpress

BoilerExpress All-American
    Gold Member

this board gets no traffic, so there won't be much (if any) discussion

as a former rower at Purdue, i'd love to see crew go varsity (but it would only be the women's team, since men's isn't an NCAA sport....yet)

as an alum/spectator, i'd love (and i mean LOVE) to add hockey. an ice arena would be incredibly costly, so we'd need a big time donor to step up to the place and cut a $20+ million check i would bet...

3. PURower

Gold Member

True, people complained about the non-football talk on the football board so I was trying to appease them.

Agree and agree. I know Dave had serious talks with MB about the women before the recession. Maybe Purdue could become similar to Michigan where the women are varsity, the men are club and own the boathouse so the women / athletic department "rent” space from the club team as well as Purdue could make the crew a "varsity / club" or whatever tag that Michigan had/has. I remember for a while their men's rowing page was even linked on their main athletics website.
    I still believe the team would need a major update in shells and oars to a lesser extent. We do now have the two new Resolutes for the men and women (one each). Believe me, I loved rowing that my senior year. But the rest of the feet is still 10+ year old Dorigos (plus an old millennium here and there). It is true that it’s the horses not the chariots, but nice chariots do help. Especially if the women were to go varsity and compete with programs that get new shells every year. Additionally some of the model ‘B’ ergs are on their last legs. I know for a club team Purdue has way way way more than most others out there which has come from years of hard work and support. But to compete at the top level there would still need to be more (or at least upgrades).

I think the converted Lambert idea for hockey is amazing. The athletic department made a commitment to keep Lambert part of the athletics landscape a few years ago by renovating the pool into the wrestling practice facility and resurfacing the track. It would take a lot of work and money adding the ring, locker room and support facilities. But I could picture it being a great atmosphere with the fans on top of the action. And hey, the basement is now unoccupied...

4. BoilerExpress

BoilerExpress All-American
    Gold Member

good stuff. yeah, i know Mich. is a "varsity/club" designation. i've rowed with some UM alums, and they claimed they didn't get any trickle down from the women's team being varsity...but i doubt that

i did a USRowing development camp here in Madison many years ago. I don't know if you've seen wisco's boathouse, but it's incredible. an entire fleet of new and not-old vespolis, 8+, 4+, 4- and pairs. have you rowed a pair before? i can see why the top programs train in them so much: if you can row a 2-, fours and eights are beyond easy.

one of the stories about UWashington is that Ernst would send all the varsity men 3 miles out in pairs. the first 4 to the dock got to form the 8 for Head of the Charles. pretty cool stuff

i can't believe you guys are still using the model Bs...those were old when I was on the team!! and that was ~10 years ago! it's times like these i would love to be insanely wealthy....a new fleet/ergs/scholarships for the rowing team, and a check to make Lambert into an ice arena! vbg

that's the great thing about the new boathouse: no more winter training in lambert's dungeon...i spent way too many hours down there

5. PURower

Gold Member

I had a good source on the boathouse arrangement. Besides when UM went from Nike to Adidas and it was reflected in the attire of the men's rowing team, that’s when you know they have at a minimum much closer relationship to their AD than Purdue is allowed to have.

The Porter Boathouse is amazing. And their backup one on the over side of the lake has even more new shells. Its funny, in speaking with a UW alumn last year, he spoke how Clark plays the underdog card for them. Mentioning how they are treated as second class citizens in their own boathouse to the women and then being compared to the other EARC teams and what those teams receive. I laughed and told him how much we envy what they have in facilities and support. But then again, many programs envy what we have, even before the new boathouse. Grass is always greener I guess.

I've trained in a pair, but I'm using the term 'train' lightly since it was only a few weeks and mostly just going easy. I completely believe the story on Earnst. When we raced at the other UW their house was full of small boats (btw another amazing shrine to rowing). I remember going to the lake to train and just seeing an endless line of boats coming in as we were preparing to launch.

I drive my soon to be wife crazy when I talk of how much money I want to donate to the Crew team, if I could. I just gotta win powerball...
    Were you still at Purdue when we added lights to Lambert? It helped a lot, but you could still never call it anything but the dungeon.

Are you coming down for homecoming? There is an alumni row...