ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question about jury duty.

BoilersRock

All-American
May 29, 2001
indiana
imgur.com
I know there are at least a couple of trial lawyers here, so...

My wife was chosen for jury duty last Friday. Over the weekend, I found out that my sister was a neighbor of one of the victims associated with this upcoming trial.

Of course, my sister and wife know each other very well, but my wife does not know the victim at all.

We've no idea if the victim will be a witness at this trial or if any of her testimony will be used. To the best of my knowledge, the victim only suffered property loss.

The connection is pretty slim, but it probably would not hurt still let somebody (judge, bailiff, attorneys?) know before the trial starts.

In my view, she should let the court know in some fashion, preferably as soon as she gets there today (or whatever day the trial is supposed to start). She should discretely talk to the bailiff or whatever other court official is responsible for jurors before they go into the courtroom, without letting other jurors know what is going on. The bailiff can alert the judge so that the judge can decide what to do, if anything. More than likely the judge will ask the prosecutor and defense counsel if they have any objection to your wife remaining on the jury or if she should be replaced by an alternate (assuming they have them).

One other suggestion. Assuming that your wife can say so honestly, it also would not hurt for her to point out that she does not know the victim and that she still believes she can be fair and impartial. While most judges bend over backwards to treat jurors kindly and with great respect, she still should make it clear that she's not trying to get out of jury duty by making up some story. And if the end result is that they have to start jury selection all over, so be it. That's far better than a mistrial half way through, or defense counsel later requesting a new trial.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilersRock
I know there are at least a couple of trial lawyers here, so...

My wife was chosen for jury duty last Friday. Over the weekend, I found out that my sister was a neighbor of one of the victims associated with this upcoming trial.

Of course, my sister and wife know each other very well, but my wife does not know the victim at all.

We've no idea if the victim will be a witness at this trial or if any of her testimony will be used. To the best of my knowledge, the victim only suffered property loss.

The connection is pretty slim, but it probably would not hurt still let somebody (judge, bailiff, attorneys?) know before the trial starts.

I don't know how civil juries work, but there is a standard question for military juries (panels) asking if you know anyone involved in the case. I would be surprised if such a question isn't also a standard part of jury selection in civilian trials, and that would to me be the most appropriate time to raise the issue. "I don't know X, but the sister of my husband is her neighbor and knows her well." Then the attorneys can ask whatever questions they want based on that.

I don't know how civil juries work, but there is a standard question for military juries (panels) asking if you know anyone involved in the case. I would be surprised if such a question isn't also a standard part of jury selection in civilian trials, and that would to me be the most appropriate time to raise the issue. "I don't know X, but the sister of my husband is her neighbor and knows her well." Then the attorneys can ask whatever questions they want based on that.

I got the impression that voir dire happened last Friday and she was already selected to be on the jury.

I got the impression that voir dire happened last Friday and she was already selected to be on the jury.

Ah, never mind then. Our process ties voir dire directly to the start of trial ordinarily. Yes, if she realized this post-voir dire, then it should be raised to the Judge through the bailiff I would think. I don't see any issues there though other than perhaps the judge telling her not to discuss that area with her sister-in-law until after the trial concludes.

Reactions: BoilersRock
ADVERTISEMENT